Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IV - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Dickie10 wrote: »
    a lot of pubs opening up and doing token food, espically rural pubs. only right.

Grand job with most using local takeaway menus. fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Jackman25 wrote: »
    You would have said the exact same had we not sped up the opening up of restrictions phases which you opposed.

I reckon you would be saying the same if we were still in Phase 1 at the moment.

Already it looks like an error to postpone Phase 4.

No, I wouldn't.

I haven't opposed any of the phases of opening up and the speed at which they happened.

Your mind reading skills need some work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Penfailed wrote: »
    Only pubs serving food are open at the minute.

Nah mate, I've been reliably advised on this thread that we're the only country in the EU with pubs closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Between mates being in pubs and telling us their experience in group chats, the ones I've been in and the stories from my brother who owns 2 Dublin pubs. It would appear very few are following the food thing for every person. And even less with the time limit. A lot aren't even bothering with the food part at all.

I was in 3 pubs tonight, 2 in suburbs and 1 in Dublin city center. Not once were we asked for food. We just ordered in first one by our own accord. And we were never asked to leave. Social distancing, good hygiene and table service in all though. So a lot of pubs are pretty much operating like how normal pubs will be when they open. And we haven't seen any cases stemming from them yet. What is it, a month in now? Its something similar in most of Europe too. I'm not often in pubs and I was cautious of them opening up originally. But open them up and be strict on making sure the social distancing happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Would be very easy to process made up receipts for food surely? Jobs Oxo so in the unlikely event that the plod would investigate.

Anyway most people are law abiding, shame on those who want to buck the system either customer or owner. Sick of it. There is little acknowledgement of what is right from many now. That is a shame. IMV.

Await the usual backlash. Thanks so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Would be very easy to process made up receipts for food surely? Jobs Oxo so in the unlikely event that the plod would investigate.

Anyway most people are law abiding, shame on those who want to buck the system either customer or owner. Sick of it. There is little acknowledgement of what is right from many now. That is a shame. IMV.

Await the usual backlash. Thanks so much.

Selling a sandwich with a pint doesn't make a pint safer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

My local is wedged. I left a few minutes ago because I was there since 3. They do food til 7 then the chinese kicks in

Sounds irresponsible to me.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Naos wrote: »
    Nah mate, I've been reliably advised on this thread that we're the only country in the EU with pubs closed.

Yeah. That's the trouble with this thread at times.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Selling a sandwich with a pint doesn't make a pint safer

It makes the environment safer. You already know that though.

Penfailed wrote: »
    It makes the environment safer. You already know that though.

I do in fairness. As some lad said earlier, a one night stand is safer if she has a toasted cheese sandwich.

Its the mark of intelligence to understand that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

The Government vilifying families for their own incompetence, and trying to get society to blame to arrogant folk who work hard and would like a holiday...

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/families-risk-schools-not-opening-if-they-choose-to-go-abroad-39396094.html

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

So Snake Martin And his incompetent government have a comprehensive plan to open schools next month.

That’s the big story yesterday and today before that super plan is revealed the snake is covering his back by stating that families risk schools not opening by going abroad.

What a hypocrite the man is and he only back from Brussels with no quarantine necessary.

Next it will be we will have to go backwards to phase two if the bold people of Ireland don’t wear masks in shops even though the has been no requirement to do so for previous 4 months when covid was in peak community spread

So from now on till the end of this extended pandemic anything that goes wrong will leave the government an easy out - Blame the people

So we’re going to continue on the same path as usual with government in this country.

Pay me a huge salary and lovely pension but don’t ask me to make a decision on anything because none of them will.

No accountability for anything and no ones ever to blame. It’s a win win cartel.

We’ve 5 people here in this country in ICU and around 20 cases per day average out of a population of 4.9million people and this sh1t continues on and on.

Hopefully the sheeple wake up to reality of the situation and get their own lives back and stop listening to the agenda from government.

It’s a sad country we’ve created.

We’ll be known as the Hiding Irish after this

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The pubs should provide a microwave and tell people to bring their own food if bothered !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Arghus wrote: »
    Not really.

The argument is based around getting control of the outbreak of an infectious and dangerous virus and trying to protect public health.

However the "pro opening up" argument is indeed largely based around "open it up, sure isn't it grand."

These types of posts are just nonsense and ignorance. Look at our data ffs for the last 2 months. You are just trolling with this ****e. Jesus christ.

These types of posts are just nonsense and ignorance. Look at our data ffs for the last 2 months. You are just trolling with this ****e. Jesus christ.

Are you new here or something?

There has been people - the most prominent posters on this thread - saying "open up it'll be grand" for months. Fintan has been banging that drum for a very long time, even back when we were regularly getting hundreds of cases every day. It's not shyte, it's actually the argument people were making.

There is definitely a lot of ignorance and trolling around here, but it's not coming from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

So Snake Martin And his incompetent government have a comprehensive plan to open schools next month.

That’s the big story yesterday and today before that super plan is revealed the snake is covering his back by stating that families risk schools not opening by going abroad.

What a hypocrite the man is and he only back from Brussels with no quarantine necessary.

Next it will be we will have to go backwards to phase two if the bold people of Ireland don’t wear masks in shops even though the has been no requirement to do so for previous 4 months when covid was in peak community spread

So from now on till the end of this extended pandemic anything that goes wrong will leave the government an easy out - Blame the people

So we’re going to continue on the same path as usual with government in this country.

Pay me a huge salary and lovely pension but don’t ask me to make a decision on anything because none of them will.

No accountability for anything and no ones ever to blame. It’s a win win cartel.

We’ve 5 people here in this country in ICU and around 20 cases per day average out of a population of 4.9million people and this sh1t continues on and on.

Hopefully the sheeple wake up to reality of the situation and get their own lives back and stop listening to the agenda from government.

It’s a sad country we’ve created.

We’ll be known as the Hiding Irish after this

All mankind history shows that is highly unlikely. Usually "sheeple" choose to punish whose who "stoped listening to the agenda from government".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,450 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I believe the thinking is "Open up and try to salvage the thousands of jobs, childrens education and maybe even prevent thousands of suicide and cancer related deaths later down the line".

It isn't going to be "grand" either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

I believe the thinking is "Open up and try to salvage the thousands of jobs, childrens education and maybe even prevent thousands of suicide and cancer related deaths later down the line".

Point of no return was passed at the beginning of May. Unfortunately there is no way out of "lockdown" with happy end.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,093 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I can see where opening pubs would get some back to work, but how it would help with childrens education, and prevent thousands of deaths due to cancer or suicide, not so much.
    With suicide it might even be counterproductive.

Are you new here or something?

There has been people - the most prominent posters on this thread - saying "open up it'll be grand" for months.

I have no recollection of anyone saying anything like above.

Its a straw man approach to the discussion.

The most rational and pragmatic posters are making the point that the restrictions are not an effective tool to combat Covid.

Sweden is proof of that. Same death rate as Ireland (population adjusted for the over 65's).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Grand job with most using local takeaway menus. fair play to them.

yea i see a few doing it i know my local has got the blessing of local Gardai once they keep there hours right no lock ins or too late drinking no messing too much, they said they will call in and have a look once its up and runnning , if they delay august 10th , all pubs will just do this. My local would have maybe 8 max all at the same time from mon-friday. saturday and sunday maybe 20 max anyone time so very easy to work that.should have opened in june by right and did the token food but they tried to do things right and didnt serve them any use.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

we have literally a best case scenario and many pubs are still closed? what do they want now? no new cases before re-opening? :rolleyes:

I have no recollection of anyone saying anything like above.

Its a straw man approach to the discussion.

The most rational and pragmatic posters are making the point that the restrictions are not an effective tool to combat Covid.

Sweden is proof of that. Same death rate as Ireland (population adjusted for the over 65's).

Selective memory there.

You have been arguing for months Fintan that lockdown wasn't needed.

Don't pretend otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Selective memory there.

You have been arguing for months Fintan that lockdown wasn't needed Fintan.

Don't pretend otherwise.

An entire lockdown was never needed. We should have shielded the elderly and vulnerable by pulling out all the stops to have made it safe for them. Instead they locked everyone indoors and murdered nursing home residents (elderly and vulnerable)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

dalyboy wrote: »
    An entire lockdown was never needed. We should have shielded the elderly and vulnerable by pulling out all the stops to have made it safe for them. Instead they locked everyone indoors and murdered nursing home residents (elderly and vulnerable)

Murdered nursing home residents? That`s an extreme comment. And everyone was not "locked indoors"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

charlie14 wrote: »
    I can see where opening pubs would get some back to work, but how it would help with childrens education, and prevent thousands of deaths due to cancer or suicide, not so much.
    With suicide it might even be counterproductive.
    Do you think it costs the government nothing to educate children, treat cancer patients and other medical needs? Do you not undertand the 300,000 currently out of work pay taxes in order to fund these services? Bitching about people wanting pubs open is far great than a lad wanting a few pints.

This is basic economics.

Murdered nursing home residents? That`s an extreme comment. And everyone was not "locked indoors"

They Knowingly moved infected Patients into nursing homes. Murder or manslaughter . Take your pick.

Everything was closed during the lockdowns and people shamed for unnecessary outside activity so people were effectively locked indoors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Thought I'd give an update to what's going on at arrivals in Dublin airport in regards to quarantine.

Arrived back from the UK last night, there was about 150 on the flight, a lot of older people on board which surprised me a little. Everyone was wearing masks on the plane, a lot incorrectly (not covering nose). Into immigration where there was panic as there's loads of passenger locator forms but not one pen provided. This pissed off many people, it was 10:30pm and people were tired, wanted to just get home, etc. Thankfully the older folk had a few pens and kindly shared them.

Form asks for name, address, DOB, point of travel, nature of travel and you sign it. Handed to immigration guy who checks passport, he didn't even glance at the form see if the matched.

I'd be shocked if 10% of that flight will quarantine.

Mask wearing became compulsory in shops in England on Friday, most shops had security guards at the door enforcing this. Massive difference in footfall from Thursday compared to Friday. Went into a supermarket yesterday, it was almost empty, wearing a mask inside a stuffy shop for any period of time can be an uncomfortable experience for some. We are all different.

Massive sacrifice for little gain is what I took from the whole experience.

dalyboy wrote: »

Sounds like a piece of cake, but it's not as easy as it sounds I'm afraid.

• Advertisement

Sounds like a piece of cake, but it's not as easy as it sounds I'm afraid.

Yeah sure. It was much easier to shut down the entire country .. wha ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement