Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IV - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Today is Monday....

Not where I am.

We’re never coming out of lockdown until it’s a financial necessity, as we are absolute cowards. The numbers go up a small bit and everybody is panicking, despite the fact that we have literally 1 to 2 deaths this weekend . Curtain twitchers are outraged due to a protest in Dublin today for a great cause.

I worked for AIB up until fairly recently. The company was already struggling a bit before Covid. I’m hearing from old colleagues that they are getting instructed to stop handing out pay holidays on mortgages and loans. It’s just unsustainable for the bank. I assume the same applies to extending.

Hopefully things like this will start to force people to focus their fears on other issues, such as losing your home or going bankrupt.

Eventually people will be forced to choose which is worse.... potentially catching a bout of an illness that is mild for a huge majority or not been able to afford your mortgage payments / risk of losing home.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Penfailed wrote: »
    How very misogynistic of you.

Can my husband go into Lidl in his Speedos so ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,572 ✭✭✭Penfailed

splinter65 wrote: »
    Can my husband go into Lidl in his Speedos so ?

That's not comparing like for like. A swimsuit with a sarong is no different from a vest top and skirt.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

That gob****e in lidl , what a champion of the people. Social nexus has given us a bypass on the total agenda drive main stream Media. Idiots like her having a voice , are the downside

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

That's not comparing like for like. A swimsuit with a sarong is no different from a vest top and skirt.

Exactly, you’d see Irish tourists wearing less in the supermarkets in Spain. I really don’t see what the outrage is about here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

champchamp wrote: »
    This is disgusting, after all of the work we have been doing since March and these people think it's ok to march in their thousands with no social distancing.
    What is wrong with people?
    I feel physically sick watching the video of the demonstration.
    I haven't seen my mother since March.
    Like others I've been locking myself away since all this began to flatten the curve.
    What's the point?

You havent seen your mother since March because of all of this?? My god some people have lost their senses. Jesus Christ go see your mother ffs.

:D
    We’re never coming out of lockdown until it’s a financial necessity, as we are absolute cowards. The numbers go up a small bit and everybody is panicking, despite the fact that we have literally 1 to 2 deaths this weekend . Curtain twitchers are outraged due to a protest in Dublin today for a great cause.

I worked for AIB up until fairly recently. The company was already struggling a bit before Covid. I’m hearing from old colleagues that they are getting instructed to stop handing out pay holidays on mortgages and loans. It’s just unsustainable for the bank. I assume the same applies to extending.

Hopefully things like this will start to force people to focus their fears on other issues, such as losing your home or going bankrupt.

Eventually people will be forced to choose which is worse.... potentially catching a bout of an illness that is mild for a huge majority or not been able to afford your mortgage payments / risk of losing home.

Great post. The virus is so awful , many dont even know they had it. I see the Norwegian prime minister had the humility to say they probably over reacted with measures. Now the cautious road initially was right , we already have hindsight and this current lockdown is a disgrace. Businesses should all just reopen en masse. People can tape up their letter boxes and front doors if they like ... this virus is a total and utter health irrelevance to the vast vast majority of us, yet its is paying the biggest price. Or do those in nursing homes love going out for pints, resteraunts etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

What has something about someone being stopped going into Lidl or asked to cover up because there were wearing a swimsuit along with some other clothing or not got to do with easing restrictions or relaxing coronavirus restrictions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

the kelt wrote: »
    What has something about someone being stopped going into Lidl or asked to cover up because there were wearing a swimsuit along with some other clothing or not got to do with easing restrictions or relaxing coronavirus restrictions?

Nothing at all but if you want to be a prick on social media and get attention you will get it -that’s the lesson here I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭greensheep777

splinter65 wrote: »
    Not where I am.

Which timezone is that - because it currently isn't Sunday anywhere in the world ;)https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/?sort=2&low=4

• Registered Users Posts: 7,572 ✭✭✭Penfailed

the kelt wrote: »

Absolutely nothing...but apparently it demonstrates why splinter65 hates what this country has become.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Absolutely nothing...but apparently it demonstrates why splinter66 hates what this country has become.

I'm still waiting for sources that show how covering up head to toe prevents infection. Particularly because there have been so many healthcare workers infected, and they wear far more than swimsuits and sarongs to work.
    But sure who needs science?

alta stare wrote: »
    You havent seen your mother since March because of all of this?? My god some people have lost their senses. Jesus Christ go see your mother ffs.

The comment bad to be a troll. Hasn't it seen his mother because the varadkar and hoolahan boy scouts say so!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The banks should be shouting this from the rooftops. Not to frighten people but wake them up the realities ahead. The government will try muzzle them of course but I’m a great believer in the truth and it’s time for a few home ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

no.8 wrote: »
    Oh look...a plandemic-head. Back into your cave and sleep until your buddies next conspiracy theory pops up

Odd statement. I suppose you are one of the many sheep who are blindly following the protocols. Anyway, who said conspiracies?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bettyoleary

road_high wrote: »
    The banks should be shouting this from the rooftops. Not to frighten people but wake them up the realities ahead. The government will try muzzle them of course but I’m a great believer in the truth and it’s time for a few home ones.
    And we have thousand on the street protesting about skin colour?????????? Whats going on really.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    The comment bad to be a troll. Hasn't it seen his mother because the varadkar and hoolahan boy scouts say so!

In other times i would say yeah maybe they are having us on but given the behaviour of many people through this farce i would not be one bit surprised if it was the truth. Iv seen a whole new level of stupidity by some members of the human race during these times.....puppets being controlled by muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Arghus wrote: »
    The case numbers in Ireland have stayed below a certain unmanageable level because of severe restrictions that kept the rate of transmission between people relatively low. Without them put in place your chances of contracting the virus wouldn't be so low.

The fact of 1600+ plus deaths would suggest to me that the chances of people dying from it are a bit higher than you think.

And how bad do you think the rate could be without restrictions in place? I'm sure all the relatives of all of the dead can take some solace in the fact that the odds of their family members deaths were miniscule.

If I get it and give it to two people and each of them gives it to two people and each of them... Then pretty quickly - it won't take long - you have over a hundred people infected and statistically probably one of those infected will die. And bare in mind that the R0 rate in mid March was estimated to be around 4. I may not die, but it's very easy to unwittingly infect others and for a lot of people to all become infected off that initial infection and sooner or later someone dies as a direct result. I don't think it's a very big sacrifice for me to be careful and restrictive in my movements if it helps to save someone's life down the line.

People talk a lot about "shielding the vulnerable" as if it's a piece of cake: you just click your fingers and this easily defined uniform group stays inside for an indefinite period of time: or at least until you know the virus isn't circulating around in the wider community. And if there's no restrictions on anyone else - which you appear to be arguing for - then we can assume the virus will be circulating for a not insignificant period of time.

And define vulnerable. Who are these vulnerable people who will be under indefinite house arrest. The old? The over 65's? The obese? People needing treatment for serious disease? People awaiting surgery? Asmathics? People with developmenal issues - all of these groups are statistically vulnerable - and there's a lot of them. And what about the people they live with, or their carers or their nurses or doctors. You're going to have to shield them too if there's no controls placed on the spread of the virus in the community.

1600 deaths? That’s a death rate of 0.035% in this country. Fcking bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    1600 deaths? That’s a death rate of 0.035% in this country. Fcking bonkers.
    Indeed, you can get statistics to do about anything you want them to say. You seem terribly disappointed at this low level.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Shame people wouldn't feel so strongly about things happening in their own country at the moment. The average American certainly doesn't concern themselves too much about anything happening in other countries.

Thats an unpopular opinion now its #blacklivesmatter bandwagon people are jumping on,pity they arent more concerned about all the people out of work or the worst recession in Ireland's history we are heading into,nah lets all head out and protest about something that happened in America we'll get more like on Instagram for that.

Thats an unpopular opinion now its #blacklivesmatter bandwagon people are jumping on,pity they arent more concerned about all the people out of work or the worst recession in Ireland's history we are heading into,nah lets all head out and protest about something that happened in America we'll get more like on Instagram for that.

Too busy listening to Beyonce, who only became (1) a feminist and (2) black when each movement became popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

The Guards had no problem going after the Debenhams workers last week protesting for the money they are owed..yet here we have this protest with how many people and not a Guard to be seen...

Were they even around to do them for urinating in public?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

After the Dublin protest March,
    hard to know if restrictions will be eased more so in phase 2.
    Or will they keep phase 2 as is.
    Or have Harris and Co got the amo needed to extend phase 1

ZX7R wrote: »

It doesnt matter what Harris and Holohan say now. People are done with the restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

It doesnt matter what Harris and Holohan say now. People are done with the restrictions.

I know I am anyways

Yes but they cant open up their businesses can they???? Sure horse racings back soon use your covid pay to have a bet.

Yes but they cant open up their businesses can they???? Sure horse racings back soon use your covid pay to have a bet.
    Have an old protest if the weathers nice and theres nothing else to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

ZX7R wrote: »

Travel limitation is gone,the restrictions are over now.

• Advertisement

I don't back horses sorry pal. Ill keep my covid payment for the lovely ice cream and treats i buy myself and my kids when we are out for a spin to the beautiful forests and beaches we like to visit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement