Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IV - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    Divide 4.5 million by 1600 (if you understand long division) and you get a simple calculation of death rate. Are mathematics an opinion these days?

the number 1600 doesn't reflects the actual COVID-19 related death rate.

For example: Herpes simplex virus is common in between 60 and 95% in adults.
    and around 32000 people die every year in Ireland.
    This means than between 19000-30000 of them were infected with Herpes simplex.

Can we say that Herpes is taking 25000 lives every year?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Arghus wrote: »
    1600 is that percentage figure of the population, but that's only the IFR of the virus in the country if we had 100% of the population infected.

FFS you really are fcking paranoid. On our part of the island, 4.5 million could have theoretically died, or basically had potential exposure. 1600 of them died. Therefore that is the death rate, no ifs, buts or maybes. When you apply the <82 years correction, the risks to people below that age are so low as to be laughable. That’s why people are laughing at you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Naos wrote: »
    What do you think would have happened if the Gardai tried to break up the crowd?

A nice batten charge would have been entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

road_high wrote: »
    Just because one section of society can’t comply with the laws then why should the rest of us be forced to?

because the law still remains the law regardless of whether people break it or not.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

because the law still remains the law regardless of whether people break it or not.

But why wouldn’t the Gardai enforce it? They were at the march but not enforcing the regulations- why not? They haven’t had a problem with other citizens. Like when they checked my mates car boot for shopping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

At very bloody least Leo should be condemning the protest
    Not a peep from him or from Simon who could tell us “ not to loose the run of ourselves “
    People doing what was asked for 3 months now and staying away from parents and grandparents and not one single peep out of Leo to condemn the crowd gathering
    So peed off now with it all . They can go and jump now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Restrictions are over and Dublin virtual signallers ended them. PBP are organising more gatherings for next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

But why wouldn’t the Gardai enforce it? They were at the march but not enforcing the regulations- why not? They haven’t had a problem with other citizens. Like when they checked my mates car boot for shopping

ask the gardai.
    let us know what they say.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭plodder

It's true, that we don't actually know the true rate of infection - but I think we can safely assume the vast, vast majority of the population weren't exposed. Even a figure of 15% means 85% weren't - so the potential was always there for literally thousands of more deaths.
    Yes, but it has a big effect on the likely impact of a second wave. 15% is far from herd immunity, but it does reduce the impact, and I've seen one paper that says herd immunity could be reached with 43% infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Racism is the real virus, guys.

We need to stop the spread...of hatred.

https://twitter.com/LeoVaradkar/status/1267567877282058242

• Advertisement

For those unhappy about the protest, that’s understandable. However, be happy that it did actually happen because it shows lots of people couldn’t give a sh1t about social distancing (very good thing) and when you see that infections and death rates aren’t spiked by it, scared people might be inspired to step outside the house (even better thing).

growleaves wrote: »

Sweet Jesus...has he nothing more pressing to be at? Always got the sense he had issues around his ethnicity.
    Why is he not bothered about the breaking of regulations today in Dublin and lack of social distancing. Disgraceful pat on the head from Leo, two fingers to the rest of us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

What stupid language to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

FFS you really are fcking paranoid. On our part of the island, 4.5 million could have theoretically died, or basically had potential exposure. 1600 of them died. Therefore that is the death rate, no ifs, buts or maybes. When you apply the <82 years correction, the risks to people below that age are so low as to be laughable. That’s why people are laughing at you.

I don't understand how you fail to understand my point.

1600 is a certain percentage of the population of Ireland - whatever it is 0.0035% or something similar - that's the percentage of people of people, relative to the population, who died in Ireland from Covid.

Yes, I know this: I don't dispute this.

My point is that you can't say that is the death rate in Ireland from Covid. It is a percentage of the population. It is not the death rate AKA the Infection Fatality Rate(IFR). The death rate is the percentage of people who are infected that die from the disease. That is not the same thing as a percentage of the population as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Just because one section of society can’t comply with the laws then why should the rest of us be forced to?

Ever broke a speed limit in your life?

Is he proposing 2m distance between blacks& whites?

I don't understand how you fail to understand my point.

1600 is a certain percentage of the population of Ireland - whatever it is 0.0035% or something similar - that's the percentage of people of people, relative to the population, who died in Ireland from Covid.

Yes, I know this: I don't dispute this.

My point is that you can't say that is the death rate in Ireland from Covid. It is a percentage of the population. It is not the death rate AKA the Infection Fatality Rate(IFR). The death rate is the percentage of people who are infected that die from the disease. That is not the same thing as a percentage of the population as a whole.

I do understand you but my simpler way is a better gauge of overall relative risk which, as I keep saying, is atomically small.

Ever broke a speed limit in your life?

Taking this logic to its natural conclusion then we should never drive again. Seen as social distancing etc is all about “saving lives” and that was trampled all over today with support from Leo

Taking this logic to its natural conclusion then we should never drive again. Seen as social distancing etc is all about “saving lives” and that was trampled all over today with support from Leo

Yes, the driving equivalent of social distancing is reducing all motorway speeds to 20km p/h from here on. The only difference is the speed thing would actually work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

So now he is endorsing the protest yet keeps business closed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Sure wasn't he out in public last weekend. Surely he has a private residence with a big garden to hang out?

Were still one week away from entering phase 2 and then have to wait 3 more weeks til phase 3

Next time you've being stopped at Gardai checkpoint, tell them you're heading to join the protest march in ***.

In normal times, it is usual to jump from one media obsession/phenomenon to another and people get so swept up in the new thing they instantly drop the old thing.

In this case it doesn't work that way, and sticks out like a sore thumb.

The powerful in media, government, officialdom have revealed the insincerity of their belief in social distancing. They have made the 'true believers' in restrictions look like utter fools.

Of course the virus isn't that serious for most people but we're still supposed to be pretending it is. Not a great look for that pretence to be suddenly dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

No, taking it to your logical conclusion would infer if you can speed, then why can't everyone else?

I would imagine the Gardai didn't intervene because it would have caused a lot more problems than it would be worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

You could be talking about travellers there and the statement fits fine :pac:

In normal times, it is usual to jump from one media obsession/phenomenon to another and people get so swept up in the new thing they instantly drop the old thing.

In this case it doesn't work that way, and sticks out like a sore thumb.

The powerful in media, government, officialdom have revealed the insincerity of their belief in social distancing. They have made the 'true believers' in restrictions look like utter fools.

Of course the virus isn't that serious for most people but we're still supposed to be pretending it is. Not a great look for that pretence to be suddenly dropped.

Indeed RTE virtue signallers all but validating how wonderful these protesting saints were this evening. Not a mention of the list of regulations broken by the whole thing from travel distance to social distancing to exceeding group gathering numbers. An utter disgrace but not surprising. They’ll have a #blaclivesmatter replacing the #stayathome one soon

No, taking it to your logical conclusion would infer if you can speed, then why can't everyone else?

I would imagine the Gardai didn't intervene because it would have caused a lot more problems than it would be worth.

That’s fine but if youre going to have laws you must impose them across the board regardless of difficulty.

That’s fine but if youre going to have laws you must impose them across the board regardless of difficulty.

Plus this was as public a flouting of laws as you can get, with protestors posing for TV crews.

The same laws are being used to bleed out small and medium businesses. To starve people of family contact and deny them health treatment.

Hopefully this will be a clarifying moment for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I do understand you but my simpler way is a better gauge of overall relative risk which, as I keep saying, is atomically small.

How is it a better gauge of overall relative risk if we don't know overall how many people in the population have been exposed and infected?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,573 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Massive rave going on earlier, flat complex near grand canal dock.
    DJ with mixing desk and PA system.
    Loads of people sitting together at close quarters.

Must've been a shíte rave if they were sitting down.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement