Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IV - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

road_high wrote: »
    That’s fine but if youre going to have laws you must impose them across the board regardless of difficulty.

I'm 50:50, I agree with you but at the same time feel there is a time and a place.

While every law should be held 99% of the time, there's always that 1% where there should be flexibility, someone slightly speeding to get to the accident site of a loved one for example.

I just think in this instance, considering what the protest was about, those protesting would have used it as an excuse to react and it would have ignited into something much worse than just letting them march.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

growleaves wrote: »
    Plus this was as public a flouting of laws as you can get, with protestors posing for TV crews.

The same laws are being used to bleed out small and medium businesses. To starve people of family contact and deny them health treatment.

Hopefully this will be a clarifying moment for some.

Think it is. A lot of people that have had genuine Bona fide held convictions about the lockdown and how it’s the right thing to do seem genuinely floored and betrayed by what was allowed go on today. Bit like the betrayal you feel when you found out Santy wasn’t real I think

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

Plus this was as public a flouting of laws as you can get, with protestors posing for TV crews.

The same laws are being used to bleed out small and medium businesses. To starve people of family contact and deny them health treatment.

Hopefully this will be a clarifying moment for some.

I’d say a few people will have their curtains twitched off themselves and the hands full of welts with all the goings on !

Naos wrote: »
    I'm 50:50, I agree with you but at the same time feel there is a time and a place.

While every law should be held 99% of the time, there's always that 1% where there should be flexibility, someone slightly speeding to get to the accident site of a loved one for example.

I just think in this instance, considering what the protest was about, those protesting would have used it as an excuse to react and it would have ignited into something much worse than just letting them march.

But you either have widespread social distancing and related or you don’t. Allowing large scale marches like this sets an atomic bomb under this position.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

You can guarantee that these protesters were the "Stay the F at home" bunch for Insta likes but gone on to the next shiny thing now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I hear what you're saying, but I think all things being equal the decision to hold that March today was bloody stupid. And I'm not inherently against the motivation behind the protest.

I just think, c'mon, like you're trying to get people to avoid unnecessary public gatherings and the like and for good reason. I just don't think there's any justification for a huge protest like that right at this instant. There's bigger things at stake.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Thats an unpopular opinion now its #blacklivesmatter bandwagon people are jumping on,pity they arent more concerned about all the people out of work or the worst recession in Ireland's history we are heading into,nah lets all head out and protest about something that happened in America we'll get more like on Instagram for that.

Doubtful you would have seen them at a protest over the Uighers in China or the situation in Yemen or Bolsonaro's destruction of the Amazon. Proof if more proof were needed that Ireland is utterly Americanised not just culturally but increasingly in political circles as well. I would be in the age group of many of these protestors and for a group that is (rightfully) critiquing how deeply troubled American society is, their eyes are obsessively cocked across the Atlantic; Brexit or European politics (which actually have a real tangible effect on their lives) are not nearly so glamorous. And as today has shown, the concerns of public health in their own country are secondary to policing in a country on another continent.

One of the reliefs of living in another European country is realising how much more diverse the interest of people here is, and how much less prevalent American wannabe culture is. And in any case, why Irish people would want to be closer to Boston than Berlin in culture or politics nowadays is anyone's guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

SNNUS wrote: »
    You can guarantee that these protesters were the "Stay the F at home" bunch for Insta likes but gone on to the next shiny thing now.

Followed an argument about in on a public page on Facebook this evening. One of those supporting the protestors was still sporting a "stay home, save lives" banner on their profile picture. While arguing for thousands of people to fill the streets. You couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,655 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

jibber5000 wrote: »
    https://mobile.twitter.com/SorchaPollak/status/1267465666845724675

"MASSIVE turnout to Dublin's Black Lives Matter protest. Biggest demonstration I've seen in the capital in years."

This really must be the end of the restrictions. How can anybody take it seriously when there's thousands of people demonstrating in Dublin with no social distancing.

Zero chance of Harris condemning it due to the demographic of the protestors. It's a complete farce at this stage.

Indeed. The Gardai actually facilitated these people, no doubt at the behest of the government. They've thrown away their work in one afternoon. This is Ireland's Cummings moment. Let's see if Varadkar et al condemn this, I think we know the answer.
    Of course many of those breaking the rules today were very critical of Cummings, their hypocrisy stinks.

If I was a doctor on one of these committees I'd resign, as the government have made eejits out of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

But why wouldn’t the Gardai enforce it? They were at the march but not enforcing the regulations- why not? They haven’t had a problem with other citizens. Like when they checked my mates car boot for shopping
    Too busy handing out parking fines at beaches.

Can't wait for the next checkpoint Im stopped at. They'll be told where to go if they ask where I'm going.

Tear up the phase programme because the lockdown ended today, 1/6/2020.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

But you either have widespread social distancing and related or you don’t. Allowing large scale marches like this sets an atomic bomb under this position.
    Arghus wrote: »
    I hear what you're saying, but I think all things being equal the decision to hold that March today was bloody stupid. And I'm not inherently against the motivation behind the protest.

I just think, c'mon, like you're trying to get people to avoid unnecessary public gatherings and the like and for good reason. I just don't think there's any justification for a huge protest like that right at this instant. There's bigger things at stake.

I understand but considering what the march was for, I feel there would be a contingent of the protestors who would just love the Gardai to intervene so that they could cause trouble similar to the riots in the US.

Difficult to argue because I fully see where you're both coming from so I'll concede.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Lundstram wrote: »
    Too busy handing out parking fines at beaches.

Can't wait for the next checkpoint Im stopped at. They'll be told where to go if they ask where I'm going.

Tear up the phase programme because the lockdown ended today, 1/6/2020.

It’s absolutley game over after that march and Leo’s tweet - he hasn’t a shred of authority left to dictate to any of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Looking at the posts on social media defending this protest and telling everyone to “educate themselves” are all young wans in their early 20s! So far up there own righteous doo gooder holes they can’t see the irony in what they done today! Potentially contributing to a second wave that will kill people!
    Leo with his tweet tonight has also more or less ended lockdown!

I understand but considering what the march was for, I feel there would be a contingent of the protestors who would just love the Gardai to intervene so that they could cause trouble similar to the riots in the US.

Difficult to argue because I fully see where you're both coming from so I'll concede.

Yes the risk of violence and rioting would be high and there was probably a decision made to just let it go ahead.
    Just not good enough though given the context of what’s been rammed down our throats for three months solid. GrandParents haven’t seen their grandkids. This is a shocking betrayal and the general public have every right to be extremely angry over this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

We live in a country were the rule of law is applied when it suits the Gardai.

We might aswell open everything tomorrow because nobody seems to care and the government are blind.

The 5km distance rule cant be enforced by Gardai due to lack of resources so why have a 5km rule in the first place.

Though, I would have thought that most of ye in here would have strongly been in favour of people being out today protesting - given that it supports the idea that people are getting out and about a lot more - "great to see" etc, etc.

But ye still seem to be pissed off about the protest. Even though it's evidence of the type of behaviour - widespread flouting of restrictions - that seems to be absolutely 100% encouraged on this thread in every other circumstance?

It's hardly because at the end of the day the thing ye really like most is a good whinge?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Yes the risk of violence and rioting would be high and there was probably a decision made to just let it go ahead.
    Just not good enough though given the context of what’s been rammed down our throats for three months solid. GrandParents haven’t seen their grandkids. This is a shocking betrayal and the general public have every right to be extremely angry over this

The authorities could have let it go ahead then issued empty but slightly-disapproving soundbites after the fact, but they didn't even do that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

I don't understand. Do we have massive cases of the racial discrimination here?
    What were they were complaining about?

Indeed. The Gardai actually facilitated these people, no doubt at the behest of the government. They've thrown away their work in one afternoon.
    How could they do this? While many people still infecting each other on the remote beaches, they drag the Garda forces from those areas?

mikeym wrote: »
    We live in a country were the rule of law is applied when it suits the Gardai.

We might aswell open everything tomorrow because nobody seems to care and the government are blind.

The 5km distance rule cant be enforced by Gardai due to lack of resources so why have a 5km rule in the first place.

Family and friends of mine, decent ordinary people who would never break the law deliberately or otherwise have constantly felt under the eye of the law for the past 3 months- many afraid to go beyond the 5km etc or make non essential trips. All the while the Gardai have continued to reinforce this with checkpoints and social media hysteria.
    Betrayed wouldn’t even begin to describe what was allowed go on today.
    This is surely is a hammer blow to the lockdown measures like the 5km? And businesses are still forced to close all the while this can go on? I think if you’re not furious tonight after this you ought to be

• Advertisement

The authorities could have let it go ahead then issued empty but slightly-disapproving soundbites after the fact, but they didn't even do that!

Not a sign. Rte at pains to tell us how peaceful it is. Couldn’t believe what I was watching tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Though, I would have thought that most of ye in here would have strongly been in favour of people being out today protesting - given that it supports the idea that people are getting out and about a lot more - "great to see" etc, etc.

But ye still seem to be pissed off about the protest. Even though it's evidence of the type of behaviour - widespread flouting of restrictions - that seems to be absolutely 100% encouraged on this thread in every other circumstance?

It's hardly because at the end of the day the thing ye most really like is a good whinge?
    Hold your horses there. Complaining about not being allowed go beyond 5km and going to a protest of thousands is very very different.

A mass gathering at this stage is just criminal. Those at that protest should be identified and prosecuted for wreckless endangerment.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

It's hardly because at the end of the day the thing ye most really like is a good whinge?

Who wanted a protest? Most just wanted to see family and maybe go on a hike or to the beach but no we are granny killers.

You are scraping the barrel with that post and it's a bit embarrassing really, people wanting to maintain a livelihood and live a decently normal life whilst still protecting those who need to has nothing got to do with virtue signalling SJW's who will not have #Irish economy matters as it's not hip enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

It is one of the most negative aspects of this whole insanity so far, for the authorities who impose these restrictions to approve of their abrogation for a politically charged cause in a large, public display.

It has a Soviet-like quality to it, the Party have just done an about-switch.

"Racism is a virus"...are you not ashamed to hear such puerile sloganeering when you've very sincerely supported damaging emergency measures to try to halt an actual virus?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Flip side of this is you’ve been telling us to stay at home but don’t seem to have a problem with a protest for someone who died in a foreign country

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Flip side of this is you’ve been telling us to stay at home but don’t seem to have a problem with a protest for someone who died in a foreign country

I absolutely have a problem with it. I've said that here in the thread. You seem to think I've said something I have not.

Not all protests are equal, some of them are more equal than others.

If they were protesting against lockdown rules, they will be blamed & shamed by Leo, and probably detained/dispersed by gards.

Yep it’s the sheer hypocrisy that troubles me and the pat on the head given from authorities while they’ve kept ordinary citizens in captive fear for 3 months. This is a hammerblow to the credibility of every aspect of the lockdown. Lockdown preponents should be doubly outraged tonight as it’s a slap in the face to everything they’ve been doing and advocating

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NotMOL

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    At very bloody least Leo should be condemning the protest
    Not a peep from him or from Simon who could tell us “ not to loose the run of ourselves “
    People doing what was asked for 3 months now and staying away from parents and grandparents and not one single peep out of Leo to condemn the crowd gathering
    So peed off now with it all . They can go and jump now

Leo has actully now come and supported the protest

h ttps://twitter.com/LeoVaradkar/status/1267567877282058242

And Simon Harris retweeted it

But yet last week Simon Harris was shaming people for buying 'curtains'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Lads are you serious? It's taken some of you thos long to realise what a joke Varadkar is?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement