Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IV - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Lads are you serious? It's taken some of you thos long to realise what a joke Varadkar is?

This goes beyond what I thought of varadkar as a politician. This had to do with an unprecedented pandemic and what we were told to do to protect the people we loved. I may not have like varadkar but I respected his behaviour throughout this pandemic regardless of his politics.

That's all gone now

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Leo talking about a new virus, lockdown restrictions to follow..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

SNNUS wrote: »

What virus is this? The " powertrip virus" ?

You think varadkar would condemn the march ? He talks from both sides if his mouth. I'm actually surprised he didnt spin it so that he managed to praise and condemn the March at the same time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

SNNUS wrote: »

He knows the jig is up after today so they have manufacture a new one to get people to lockdown again. I doubt people will fall for it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    He knows the jig is up after today so they have manufacture a new one to get people to lockdown again. I doubt people will fall for it though.

He has 100% ****ed it with that tweet tonight - impossible for him to retain public confidence in the roadmap any longer. Announce full phases opening by end of June and then get the **** out of our sight Leo you absolute ****ing hypocrite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

Leo Varadkar
    @LeoVaradkar
    Racism is a virus that we have been fighting for millennia. Despite the progress we have made, it is no less virulent today and no less dangerous. We need to show solidarity as people of all races & backgrounds around the world come together to stop its spread and defeat it.

Jesus wept!! I’m actually speechless!! How this man is going to address our nation with a straight face in a couple of days is beyond me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Blaze420 wrote: »
    He has 100% ****ed it with that tweet tonight - impossible for him to retain public confidence in the roadmap any longer. Announce full phases opening by end of June and then get the **** out of our sight Leo you absolute ****ing hypocrite

It is astonishing on pure self interest grounds. Half of the shower marching today don't even have a vote and most of the other half won't vote for him. Yet all through the country are people who haven't been visiting family, who are losing out financially, and these do have a vote. This is a act of stupidity like the DUP supporting Brexit.

Lundstram wrote: »
    Hold your horses there. Complaining about not being allowed go beyond 5km and going to a protest of thousands is very very different.

A mass gathering at this stage is just criminal. Those at that protest should be identified and prosecuted for wreckless endangerment.

You'd have to include alot of people posting in this thread too then.

Plenty of evidence of people saying that they are getting their haircut, going to the beach etc to be around people and stating the fact that Gardai weren't doing anything to stop people doing this was the force showing correct judgement, wouldn't wear masks etc, social distancing is a joke and if you didn't like it your weak, sitting on your hole watching netflix on the covid payment etc.

Now that people are doing a protest over some poor lad being done in by the cops in America, it's a shame that it's allowed, why are the gardai not arresting people etc.

I think that the protest was a fu*king stupid idea for many reasons.
    Mainly that despite plenty of decent people, it's broken, fu*ked up place of a country with ideas around money, health, social care etc, that despite the best efforts of some haven't thankfully taken a full hold here yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Arghus wrote: »
    How is it a better gauge of overall relative risk if we don't know overall how many people in the population have been exposed and infected?

Because it expresses those who did die as a proportion of those who could die.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    Because it expresses those who did die as a proportion of those who could die.

But that doesn't prove anything about the level of relative risk. It just tells you how many people have died so far relative to the entire population.

What percentage of people in the country have been exposed to the virus so far do you reckon?

• Advertisement

It is astonishing on pure self interest grounds. Half of the shower marching today don't even have a vote and most of the other half won't vote for him. Yet all through the country are people who haven't been visiting family, who are losing out financially, and these do have a vote. This is a act of stupidity like the DUP supporting Brexit.

That's not fair. People were dying, people were scared and people did what was being asked by governments world wide in order to stop a pandemic.

I'd rather of listened and be wrong than ignored it and cause deaths. Nobody knew.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭greensheep777

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    If you rave beware of the second wave

Eat, sleep, second wave, repeat.

Why aren't all these protestors out protesting about how Covid is being prioritised over other diseases such as cancer? Why aren't they out screaming for screenings and surgeries to resume? Why weren't they kicking up when Tony "Cervix" Hoola Hoop was put in charge of this crisis after the royal mess he made of the cervical cancer scandal - and EVEN AFTER that scandal, we AGAIN have people not getting the screenings they need - cervix or otherwise - because of a virus they're very unlikely to die of?

Not glamorous enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

NotMOL wrote: »
    Leo has actully now come and supported the protest

h ttps://twitter.com/LeoVaradkar/status/1267567877282058242

And Simon Harris retweeted it

But yet last week Simon Harris was shaming people for buying 'curtains'

Damn

Pair of pussies those two

Feel really sorry for the people who have stuck to the rules to this point and missed out on the sun, sea, sand recently and meeting friends/family

Hope they see sense now and enjoy the weather

Make next weekend count people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Retro.

I didn't give 2 fukks for all the lockdown hysteria

People locked in their homes for 3 months, it's all been a massive overreaction

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

NotMOL wrote: »
    Leo has actully now come and supported the protest

h ttps://twitter.com/LeoVaradkar/status/1267567877282058242

And Simon Harris retweeted it

But yet last week Simon Harris was shaming people for buying 'curtains'

Two hypocritical assholes who should be tossed out on top of their ****ing heads asap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

But that doesn't prove anything about the level of relative risk. It just tells you how many people have died so far relative to the entire population.

What percentage of people in the country have been exposed to the virus so far do you reckon?

I would genuinely like to know what your thoughts are on this?

- do you think the current plans to ease out to August are appropriate? Noting also that it is a new normal?

- do you think that the 2m social distance requirement is sensible (noting Germany has a 1.5m requirement) and that such a requirement will reduce health care capacity and make many business unviable?

- would you agree that an accelerated reopening with proper safeguards on the basis of risk may be more effective than an unregulated free for all?

- do you have any concerns in respect to the governance and structures influencing Government decisions (note today’s Irish Times with unnamed sources providing opinions ahead of the Nphet meeting on Thursday)?

- do you think blanket travel restrictions are necessary or perhaps better to have safe corridors based on risk?

My view is that this is a dangerous disease, that the decision to lock down was the right one at the time, but also that the Government has made a mess out of the last month in terms of easing this. They have been all over the place on messaging. The “plan” is overly complicated, is too long, is incoherent in terms of managing risk, and that this will be damaging in terms of bringing the people with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Remember when the Guards proudly posted on their twitter feed how they turned around a guy who was going to Parcel Motel to collect a package?

Fast-forward a few weeks and there's thousands on the streets with Varadkar tweeting his support.

The RTE report is galling but wholly unsurprising - https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2020/0601/1144819-protest/

They have actually become a caricature of themselves. Not one mention of the widespread flouting of restrictions as they breathlessly report on an anti-American protest.

A reminder that we're basically forced to pay €160 a year for this 'balanced' reporting.

A great little country alltogether.

Who knows? But that doesn’t matter. We have 4.5 million people that could be infected, theoretically, and a very tiny percentage of mostly care-home based, older individuals with other health issues have succumbed. I’m running out of superlatives to get it across you how very small the real risk is but keep your fingers in your ears and your doors and windows firmly sealed. Like the Japanese soldier who was found wandering the jungles decades after world war 2 had finished, fully convinced the war was still in process, you will emerge from your cave in 2029 having spent the last decade running from a non-existent enemy, blissfully unaware that you could have been enjoying your life instead of hiding in your attic with your fingers in your ears shouting “la la la la la”. What a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,609 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I wish people - on either side - could stop quoting nonsense that contains words like 'maybe', 'could be', 'possibly'.
    I could say anything if it contained any of those words and it would mean absolutely nothing.

Its like being 'probably' the best lager in the world. Its just noise.

Mike3287 wrote: »
    Damn

Pair of pussies those two

Feel really sorry for the people who have stuck to the rules to this point and missed out on the sun, sea, sand recently and meeting friends/family

Hope they see sense now and enjoy the weather

Make next weekend count people

I feel sorry for them too. On the other hand, I resent their subservient nature in just accepting this whole facade in the first place. The people who behaved like sheep, which was the vast majority, have a case to answer themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I’m pretty annoyed at the protest, like many people. If people are going to say it’s justified because of what it’s for, what about all the other people who made sacrifices??
    I know someone who lost a good friend- not covid related - never got to see her again, not allowed visit in hospital or her home, didn’t get to say goodbye, couldn’t go to the funeral. That situation is probably not uncommon, many people suffered this situation because of the restrictions, if I was watching the protests and that was me I’d be absolutely livid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

What I cannot understand is how on earth do Fine Gael have 35% support according to a new opinion poll? Have people lost the ability to think critically? Maybe money talks and the €350 pw is giving them a boost. I say this as someone who usually votes FG in elections. They’ve been an absolute disaster for the last month.
    Simon & Leo are beyond useless, imagine Leo and then Simon tweeting in support of a mass gathering but won’t allow some families and young children to the beach on one of the hottest June bank holidays in years. People who are religiously listening to them haven’t seen families in weeks either.
    Ive seen through this whole thing now for weeks, we still don’t even know the criteria as to why we have the current restrictions still in place. We’d a lovely time in the sea this weekend, everyone was socially distanced by at least 10 metres and no one agreed with the current road map we came across.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I wish people - on either side - could stop quoting nonsense that contains words like 'maybe', 'could be', 'possibly'.
    I could say anything if it contained any of those words and it would mean absolutely nothing.

Its like being 'probably' the best lager in the world. Its just noise.

You’re probably right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭VonLuck

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

Simon Harris has f*** all to say about the protest. The whole thing is a mess.

It was always very important that the government communicate well and get the people behind them in this. Originally we all did that well. Flatten the curve, get testing and contact tracing up to scratch, increase hospital capacity as much as possible. People were happy to remain locked down for March and April.

That is when things started to get a little bit silly. We created a 3 month long, 5 phase plan that meant a lot of people couldn't see family until 20th July. We insisted on keeping silly travel limits that no other country seemed to implement. All of a sudden the numbers were never good enough for Tony while he refused to tell us what numbers would be good enough. It started to feel like we were aiming for 0. Leo disappeared. Then there was the home-ware fiasco.

People have been holed up for almost 3 months now. Their spirit is broken. We should have been opening up weeks ago, when the curve was flattened.

I don't personally agree with the lack of social distancing at the protest yesterday. But it seems like a lot of the pro lockdown crowd are turning on the government and the restrictions over this and that can only be a good thing. We need to dump these silly travel limits immediately and half the 2m to 1m.

Its time we started to open this country up again while we still have a chance of fixing all the damage caused by lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Maestro85

VonLuck wrote: »

Doesn't surprise me to be honest. The place where I work was swarming with tourists over the weekend. A lot breaking the 5km rule - some by by a few thousand kilometers. Yet again, the minority of people wrecking it for the majority that have endured it all and now businesses will pay the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

So from reading this article...’public health officials’ are once again going to tell the government what to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

road_high wrote: »
    No he didn’t. We are in the top ten countries for cases and deaths despite being an island off on our own. Now he’s arse covering to try salvage something. Rte et al will eulogise him of course
    Like NZ off on our own? Poster knows best post number C1(100,001) with the usual bending of stats to say something or other.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

You’d wonder about the competing newspapers here too. The Indo splashed with the cabinet wanting rules relaxed on Sunday - their sources seemed to be government officials. IT seems to be NPHET sources. Organised leaking?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement