Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IV - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

niallo27 wrote: »
    Hang on are you saying there is something wrong with queuing for a BBQ at woodies.

There is no need to queue at B&Q, just get there at 715 and you can walk right in. Queuing is just wasting your life away.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,530 ✭✭✭✭walshb

niallo27 wrote: »
    Disagree with these protests, are you ****en crazy. It would ruin your career to say one word against it. Its a no go area.

I am not buying this

It is about disagreeing/condemning with the complete lack of adherence to the social distancing guidelines that we have been trying to adhere to

Nobody is saying that our leaders are to disagree with a protest....

There is nuance and detail here....

It is about the complete lack of adherence to the social distancing guidelines that the condemning should be about...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Ah god another day of these crap restrictions :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Do you have children?

Not that it matters but yes. Two still in secondary (fifth year and first year) and one in third level. When I say nothing to see here I'm talking about the comparison between our schools and those in other countries. They all closed. We closed a little later so we would expect to reopen a little later, by which time they would be closed for Summer holidays anyway. We're not any worse than over contries in that respect as some would make out.

The last ten or eleven weeks of the term were very different to usual, but we managed with online assignments and classes. The only help really needed was with maths. Homework, assignments and project work were all submitted on line. The third level student had open book exams assigned and submitted online with a reasonable time period / deadline. It was very different to usual but, in the circumstances, I think it worked well.

University is due to start about a month later than usual and be a blend of online and on campus lectures. Other than the mixed messages from our Taoiseach and Minister for Education and Skills I'm not sure what way second level will run come September .

Yes things have been very different to usual, but things have been very different in every country and we haven't been very different to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

walshb wrote: »
    I am not buying this

It is about disagreeing/condemning with the complete lack of adherence to the social distancing guidelines that we have been trying to adhere to

Nobody is saying that our leaders are to disagree with a protest....

There is nuance and detail here....

It is about the complete lack of adherence to the social distancing guidelines that the condemning should be about...

Yes in a perfect world, but people are terrified to even mention it. Anything they could say would be twisted by someone. You are not allowed to have an opinion on this or anything related to the protest if it is not fully supporting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I still can't believe what happened yesterday. I actually feel silly for having followed their guidelines for so long, those 5km distance rules etc which I naively thought were well considered and intelligent in a way I maybe just didn't understand or know enough about to question, just a load of **** they didn't even believe in themselves. What a waste of two months of my life. I think I'd join a Gemma O doherty protest today if there is one going

Everyone needs to be back to work ASAP, need to salvage what we can from this absolute mess

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

bush wrote: »

But another day closer to easing them ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

prunudo wrote: »
    But the thing is, you I and many others on this thread have seen it for what it is, broken the restrictions while still being pragmatic and careful.
    Its the thousands who are crippled with fear because they've lapped up everything they've been fed I feel angry for. The lack of reaction by both government and media is shocking.

They have been taken for complete mugs. Not allowed visit their family, but no bother if you want to travel and protest about something that has no relevance to this country.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,602 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

While the virus backdrop isn’t ideal the protest this week is necessary and timing is critical.

Outdoor transmission is not as big a risk as indoor particularly in the heat. The HSE Scally bloke has already said that. He said he’d rather see 500 people on the beach than people having house parties

Besides, those screaming blue murder, how many of you genuinely have not broken any of the lockdown rules? Have you only shopped when necessary and not use the time to be dickie up the curtains?

The protest is over, the good weather continues. There has been more people on beaches over the past couple of weeks than at the protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

That's not fair. People were dying, people were scared and people did what was being asked by governments world wide in order to stop a pandemic.

Of course responsible people followed public health advice and it has worked.

The delinquents on the march yesterday did not give a damn about the rest of us.
    faceman wrote: »
    While the virus backdrop isn’t ideal the protest this week is necessary and timing is critical.

A protest may be been appropriate, a protest in the form of a large crowd shouting (a known cause of Covid transmission) was shameful. They could have stood in a line along the Liffey, put someone with black flag at each junction, made a circle around the Phoenix park, there are any number of alternatives to this irrresponsible display. It is well known that the Woman's Day marches kicked off Covid in SPain and even with the benefi of hindsight these louts were out yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Outdoor transmission is not as big a risk as indoor particularly in the heat. The HSE Scally bloke has already said that. He said he’d rather see 500 people on the beach than people having house parties

Besides, those screaming blue murder, how many of you genuinely have not broken any of the lockdown rules? Have you only shopped when necessary and not use the time to be dickie up the curtains?

The protest is over, the good weather continues. There has been more people on beaches over the past couple of weeks than at the protest.

I'd wager a whole load of nobody have been in the middle of that amount of people so that's not a relevant comparison really. As we know based on everything that's happened the things that are the main dangers for spreading the virus are large gatherings of people, public transport etc.
    Not somebody walking 5.1km when they are allowed to walk 5

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

That there in bold. Saw a couple in Aldi yesterday, both wearing masks (the only ones wearing masks) and acting like law abiding citizens. Except for - why the hell do 2 of them need to do shopping when 1 can easily do it?

Doesnt feel like emergency deadly virus response to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

The fact that anybody was ever even slightly looked down upon for something comparably so inconsequential as spending a bit of extra time in a supermarket is literally exactly why people are so annoyed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Necessary my ass. What good is some Irish people protesting going to do to actually change things?

Also, Madrid Womens Day march was considered pretty key in the virus exploding there, as was Spanish fans coming to Liverpool for the CL game, which would both ahve been outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I agree with absolutely everything the protests stand for and I’m disgusted with what happened to George Floyd, but I absolutely cannot believe that mass gathering has been given the green light by Leo. That absolutely should not have taken place yesterday and I am shocked by the images. What have the last few months even been about? People have had to die alone in hospitals and nursing homes. Families have not been allowed say goodbye, to even hold their loved ones hand for one minute before they took their last breath.

They weren’t allowed have funerals, and I know one person who was driven straight from hospital where he died to the graveyard, an extremely religious man who could not even have the grace of a few prayers in church before he was buried. If I had to say goodbye to someone in these conditions I would have grinned and bared it for the greater good, but I would be absolutely fcuking furious at those images today and Leo patting everyone on the back who attended. Like, not even saying great message, great fight, great cause but please be mindful that we are still fighting a pandemic and the virus does not think any lives matter and that is the whole point of this from the start.

Many of us wanted the 5k travel limit lifted, we wanted to see family outdoors and we wanted a smidgen of normality to return for our sanity; and all we got was abuse and name calling in return. Probably by the same cohort who turned up yesterday in the middle of phase 2 restrictions and threw everything we’ve been practicing for so far out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Still am failing to see any evidence Leo supports mass gatherings like on O Connel Street.

Whole thing is been twisted to suit people's agenda.

OK then, point us to where he condemned it. We await with interest.

The Gardai actually facilitated these people rather than disperse them, they were getting direction from somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

The biggest culprits are teenage girls. I have seen multiple groups of them over the weekend and definately no 2m rule going on there. They were practically sitting on each others lap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

I have not gone outside the 2km or 5km distance except on two occasions - to visit my parents twice in 13 weeks (we locked down early as a family) and that was where I was bringing them supplies - I was outside and not within 2 metres. I walked the first time rather than public transport as I understood that the Dart and buses are for front line staff only.

I used the time to drop some painting inside without going to buy any paint or supplies. Was that not allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Blaze420 wrote: »
    All remaining phases accelerated to a week maximum between each or he can **** off, dragging things to August isn’t a runner any longer.

And the road to hell is paved with good intentions. We've spent the last 10 / 11 weeks bringing the sperad of this virus under control, do we really want to risk ending up back where we started?

A week or two can make a huge difference. Epidemiologists have indicated that starting restrictions a week earlier could have saved approx. 60% of deaths, two weeks earlier 90% of deaths by containing CoViD-19.
    https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/prevention-cures/493128-90-percent-of-coronavirus-deaths-may-have-been
    That's how important timing is, both in controlling the initial outbreak and in unwinding restrictions to ensure we keep its spread under control.

The three week phase length is linked to the length of the transmission, infection, incubation, test, isolation cycle. The length of that cycle is mostly set by the virus' biology, not us. If we shorten the phase length we risk blundering blindly into a new wave of widespread infection before we realise it's happening and having to go back to a strict lockdown to bring it under control again. Fools rush in where angels fear to tread.

Just over two weeks after reopening schools Israel has had to close multiple schools due to new CoViD-19 outbreaks.
    https://www.timesofisrael.com/amid-spike-in-virus-cases-schools-in-outbreak-areas-set-to-shutter/
    It doesn't take long for a few cases to become a few hundred cases and then a few thousand cases. If we don't want to end back where we were a two or three months ago we need to ensure we keep SARS-CoV-2 spread under control. NPHET have indicated flexibility, if circumstances warrant, to move things from one phase to another but the three week duration between phases is set and for a good reason. Any less than three weeks between phases and we're running blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

The restrictions have been exposed as a sham.

They are less important than a cause du jour and protesting the Minnesota Police Department - which is not independent but comes under the authority of Mayor Frey, who encouraged these protests - is some zig-zag way of undermining Trump.

It is critical to do this now since the handling of the virus didn't undermine Trump the way people hoped it would. That's the politics of it.

Meanwhile back at the ranch:

Economic embargoes are usually acts of war. The economic embargo against this country is destroying it. Lift the embargo, and let be people be free to move around and see their friends and family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Those calling the shots are the same incompetent morons , who have failedctbis country for years. What plants have you been living on? They get away with this **** because of the apathy or ignorance of people!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Micky 32 wrote: »
    The biggest culprits are teenage girls. I have seen multiple groups of them over the weekend and definately no 2m rule going on there. They were practically sitting on each others lap!
    That was my observance as well in St. Anne's. Huge groups of them. There were smaller groups of teenage boys but some of those were playing football so there was at least some distancing and the groups tended to be smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

And the road to hell is paved with good intentions. We've spent the last 10 / 11 weeks bringing the sperad of this virus under control, do we really want to risk ending up back where we started?

A week or two can make a huge difference. Epidemiologists have indicated that starting restrictions a week earlier could have saved approx. 60% of deaths, two weeks earlier 90% of deaths by containing CoViD-19.
    https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/prevention-cures/493128-90-percent-of-coronavirus-deaths-may-have-been
    That's how important timing is, both in controlling the initial outbreak and in unwinding restrictions to ensure we keep its spread under control.

The three week phase length is linked to the length of the transmission, infection, incubation, test, isolation cycle. The length of that cycle is mostly set by the virus' biology, not us. If we shorten the phase length we risk blundering blindly into a new wave of widespread infection before we realise it's happening and having to go back to a St ICT lockdown to bring it under control again. Fools rush in where angels fear to tread.

Just over two weeks after reopening schools Israel has had to close multiple schools due to new CoViD-19 outbreaks.
    https://www.timesofisrael.com/amid-spike-in-virus-cases-schools-in-outbreak-areas-set-to-shutter/
    It doesn't take long for a few cases to become a few hundred cases and then a few thousand cases. If we don't want to end back where we were a two or three months ago we need to ensure we keep SARS-CoV-2 spread under control. NPHET have indicated flexibility, if circumstances warrant, to move things from one phase to another but the three week duration between phases is set and for a good reason. Any less than three weeks between phases and we're running blind.

Theres is a lot of whataboutery with this virus. Here is something I know for sure, the economy, peoples jobs, businesses and mental health going to **** is a fact!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Feeble attempt for justification.
    "Virus backdrop not ideal"?

Sorry that the people dying in Ireland during a worldwide pandemic did not provide your ideal backdrop to your "necessary" protest.
    Virtue signalling in the extreme is what we have here ......

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Why was the protest in Dublin necessary? What did it actually achieve?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 brighterspark

ixoy wrote: »
    That was my observance as well in St. Anne's. Huge groups of them. There were smaller groups of teenage boys but some of those were playing football so there was at least some distancing and the groups tended to be smaller.

They are young girls having some fun at last - please stop this nasty over-reaction to our young people - my own teenage kids feel that they are constantly being judged and looked down on when they go out - even when doing absolutely nothing wrong. They are 18 times less likely to be transmitting virus outside just remember that!

Stop and listen to what you are saying. What a horrible society we are turning into!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Sheep_shear

I've noticed that with teenagers too but thinking on it, I wouldn't have done better when I was their age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

EDit wrote: »
    In fairness, it did prove to the people who were abiding to social distancing rules and following all the guidelines, that these restrictions are just a sham.
    And it did show up the partial and liberal bias of RTE.

I'm getting my "Black Lives Matters" t-shirt printed up now and heading off to the beach again ......

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

bush wrote: »
    But 5 working days to Phase 2! Hang in there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

EDit wrote: »

Because Black people are been massacred by Gardai and are been discriminated against in the workplace...man...or didnt you know we are all big ****ing racists here in Ireland!!

There is no justification for it....but I think it will achieve something and not the reasons they would have hoped, with Leo's lack of condemnation of the large scale gathering I think he loses all credibility with his phased lifting and we might see a much faster lifting of restrictions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement