Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IV - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Is it an outrageous slur that an unelected official is making executive decisions? That is what I meant and perhaps I should have been clearer on that point.

who gave him that power? I doubt it was himself? it was likely pass the parcel leo...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Is it an outrageous slur that an unelected official is making executive decisions? That is what I meant and perhaps I should have been clearer on that point.

You think we should elect medical officers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

titan18 wrote: »
    You think we should elect medical officers?

You missed the point. The point is that the Government has abdicated responsibility. And that is dangerous for society, for the economy, for democracy and indeed for non Covid medical issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Down at my local beach, fairly busy, 2 Gardaí walking the seafront not taking any notice to groups etc, a women went up to them giving out that people were on the seafront who were well more than 5k from home, one Garda replied,"What do you want us to do, arrest or fine them all ?" and they walked on.

Even they can't be bothered now

I wouldn't blame them tbh. The responsibility of compliance needs to be pushed onto the public and the public needs to be responsible for calling anyone out who is outside the guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I'm literally at the bottom of that circle so Phoenix Park here I come

Stick your Eircode into this - https://2kmfromhome.com/

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Down at my local beach, fairly busy, 2 Gardaí walking the seafront not taking any notice to groups etc, a women went up to them giving out that people were on the seafront who were well more than 5k from home, one Garda replied,"What do you want us to do, arrest or fine them all ?" and they walked on.

Brilliant. So even the Gardai are sick of the curtain twitchers now. What sad fcuks those yokes are. Lot of that tribalism has emerged in this, particularly in relation to beaches and popular beauty spots- local inbreds using their faux health concerns as an excuse to have local places all to themselves. Wexford being a classic example. As one dub rightly pointed out what if they blocked off the city to workers from Wexford? Clowns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Just in Woodies and it's a disgrace, no system at all, queue for till is between the main lanes, people walking on top of people, far to many in the shop. Far better/safer system in Homebase

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

The whole thing has been a charade and a farce for weeks now. There is zero social distancing going on in parks and other places where people gather, people are driving wherever they like, and there is no enforcement of the so called rules.
    Why are they continuing with pretending we are in lockdown? I mean either f*cking do it properly or dont do it at all. My life is fine the way things are right now, so it doesn't even bother me personally, but the whole thing is a joke and I don't know why they're continuing to play along with this nonsense.

.... and yet hospital admissions are down including icu, deaths and new cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

The two cops probably have to hear that day in day out from the curtain brigade.

I would say that the 2 complainants were more upset about not having the beach for themselves.

Just in Woodies and it's a disgrace, no system at all, queue for till is between the main lanes, people walking on top of people, far to many in the shop. Far better/safer system in Homebase

That is not on. Just came from Dunnes and a fishmongers - top notch and polite social distancing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

He's not making executive decisions, they are following the NPHET advice for now. It's just advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

road_high wrote: »
    Brilliant. So even the Gardai are sick of the curtain twitchers now. What sad fcuks those yokes are. Lot of that tribalism has emerged in this, particularly in relation to beaches and popular beauty spots- local inbreds using their faux health concerns as an excuse to have local places all to themselves. Wexford being a classic example. As one dub rightly pointed out what if they blocked off the city to workers from Wexford? Clowns

The Gardai have been leaving people using even the smallest bit of cop on alone since the start of this. I live in an apartment overlooking a busy public area and the only people the Gardai have gone near are groups of 10+ and those drinking in public causing a scene.

is_that_so wrote: »
    He's not making executive decisions, they are following the NPHET advice for now. It's just advice.

Did he not overrule the Taoiseach a few weeks back? I think Alan Kelly described it as a very poor sign for the body politic.

The Govt regulations on travel run out on 16 June. Why is he anticipating what the Government will say.

The structures and governance (and this is the fault of the Government) are seriously flawed and we will all be paying the price for a long long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

Did he not overrule the Taoiseach a few weeks back? I think Alan Kelly described it as a very poor sign for the body politic.

The Govt regulations on travel run out on 16 June. Why is he anticipating what the Government will say.

The structures and governance (and this is the fault of the Government) are seriously flawed and we will all be paying the price for a long long time.

He didn’t agree with Leo when Leo started shouting his mouth off about it being safe to return to school because of one piece of research.

Not agreeing isn’t the same as over ruling. It’s Leo’s call at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

I’m sorry but this is one of the best pieces of news I’ve heard all week: people being normal again. In terms of regrettable legacies, the permanent paranoia that will dictate new behaviours comes a distant second to the unfortunate deaths we have witnessed. However, it’ll be a daily reminder about how soft and fragile our society has become. The people falling over each other in Woodies have made a risk vs reward calculation in their heads and have correctly (in my opinion), concluded that prancing around imaginary personal boundaries and hiding behind absurd face coverings is no way to live. I would suggest to you that if the way people behaved 12 short weeks ago is a threat and insult to you now, you stay out of their way rather than expecting them to stay out of yours. Maybe you can outsource your daily errands to someone who isn’t afraid of their own shadow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭crossman47

Benimar wrote: »
    He didn’t agree with Leo when Leo started shouting his mouth off about it being safe to return to school because of one piece of research.

Not agreeing isn’t the same as over ruling. It’s Leo’s call at the end of the day.

That's it exactly. Holohan is doing his job as a medical advisor. The government can ignore him if they think that is the correct thing to do but they need a fall guy if it goes wrong.

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    I’m sorry but this is one of the best pieces of news I’ve heard all week: people being normal again. In terms of regrettable legacies, the permanent paranoia that will dictate new behaviours comes a distant second to the unfortunate deaths we have witnessed. However, it’ll be a daily reminder about how soft and fragile our society has become. The people falling over each other in Woodies have made a risk vs reward calculation in their heads and have correctly (in my opinion), concluded that prancing around imaginary personal boundaries and hiding behind absurd face coverings is no way to live. I would suggest to you that if the way people behaved 12 short weeks ago is a threat and insult to you now, you stay out of their way rather than expecting them to stay out of yours. Maybe you can outsource your daily errands to someone who isn’t afraid of their own shadow.

People are free to put themselves at risk but they shouldn't be putting others at risk. This virus is still around so people should still take care.

Well as someone who is eminently more qualified than Mr. Holohan in economics and indeed corporate governance, I believe that the current decision making process will damage the economy, lead to job losses and cause reputational damage to Ireland.

Well as someone who is eminently more qualified than Mr. Holohan in economics and indeed corporate governance, I believe that the current decision making process will damage the economy, lead to job losses and cause reputational damage to Ireland.

The current process should, if working properly, result in the cabinet making decisions. it isn't the CMO's fault if they are hiding behind him. He can't change the advice he gives as a medical professional.

crossman47 wrote: »
    People are free to put themselves at risk but they shouldn't be putting others at risk. This virus is still around so people should still take care.

They aren’t putting others at risk. The only people who are facing a risk are those who, in the belief that this is a universally deadly virus, still venture outside their homes. If they believe the risk is so great, they should stay at home. Once they get their head out of the sand, they should return to society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

That is not strictly right . The shops are obliged to reduce numbers to a safe level . We are all entitled to go shopping and have the shop floor within safe guidelines
    The shops are not just for those flaunting the 2m rule , the shop is for us all and we are entitled to feel the guidelines are being adhered to

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Yeah. I only go to garages/shops that have good social distancing measures in place. TBF, most do.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    That is not strictly right . The shops are obliged to reduce numbers to a safe level . We are all entitled to go shopping and have the shop floor within safe guidelines
    The shops are not just for those flaunting the 2m rule , the shop is for us all and we are entitled to feel the guidelines are being adhered to

No the shop is for only those who dare set foot across its threshold.

crossman47 wrote: »
    The current process should, if working properly, result in the cabinet making decisions. it isn't the CMO's fault if they are hiding behind him. He can't change the advice he gives as a medical professional.

What I have said above is that the governance structures need to change. By all means publish all advice, ensure that the Oireachtas Committee has access to the senior officials providing the advice but these daily press conferences should end and the Government should be seen to take the decisions and provide the leadership. Bring it back to advisors advise and Ministers decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

No the shop is for only those who dare set foot across its threshold.

Whatever . But the poster is perfectly entitled to be annoyed and report the lack of effort

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

And I’d be more qualified in both than him too.

However, if Leo is leaving Tony Holohan make the decisions, the problem isn’t with NPHET, it’s with Leo.

Tony Holohan cannot over rule Leo on his own, Leo can only let himself be over ruled.

What I have said above is that the governance structures need to change. By all means publish all advice, ensure that the Oireachtas Committee has access to the senior officials providing the advice but these daily press conferences should end and the Government should be seen to take the decisions and provide the leadership. Bring it back to advisors advise and Ministers decide.

We agree to an extent. The structures don't need to change but they need to be used as you indicate.

Yeah. I only go to garages/shops that have good social distancing measures in place. TBF, most do.

Agree and I will be loyal to those businesses who did. I am very much of the mind that things should open up but they need to respect the 1 m WHO recommended distance as a means to minimise risk for staff and customers. And people need to stay at home if sick, to get tested if they have symptoms and employers need to be responsible in respect to this.

And I’d be more qualified in both than him too.

However, if Leo is leaving Tony Holohan make the decisions, the problem isn’t with NPHET, it’s with Leo.

Tony Holohan cannot over rule Leo on his own, Leo can only let himself be over ruled.

I did play the man rather the ball and corrected that post. I agree 100% but part of that has to be on communication also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

iamwhoiam wrote: »

Saturday of a bank holiday weekend with this weather anywhere will be hard pressed to control people even Woodies.
    Plus it is only the projection of one poster that social distancing rules were not been adhered to.
    We're they using a measuring tape

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement