Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20 #Mod Notes First post [Updated 24/07/20]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Miguel Delaney has stated that UEFA have sent their 'A' legal team for this one and are quite bullish on this case. Be interesting anyway. I have no respect for clubs like City or PSG. Will be disgusted to see Newcastle go that way too.
    I agree, but given the close ties between the UK and Saudi Arabia already, it's bit much to ask the PL to make a moral decision when the UK government itself is in bed with the regime.
    There was a "top 4", now there's a "top 6" and having a "top 7" is probably appealing to the PL big wigs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Anyone know if there is a live feed or even live twitter updates of the case?

@sportingintel, @robharris and @tariqpanja are always good for reporting of these sorts of things.

Trigger wrote: »
    Has the Newcaste takeover been ratified yet? Wouldnt be surprised so see Mike Ashley pull out at the last moment

Why would Ashley pull out? The other side maybe, but Ashley I assume should make money from this deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

6 wrote: »
    Why would Ashley pull out? The other side maybe, but Ashley I assume should make money from this deal?

How many times have they been "about to be bought" over the last few years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,021 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

How many times have they been "about to be bought" over the last few years?

Been lots of buyers alright, but none ever matched Ashley’s valuation. This is the first time one has.

The issue here though is the buyers may be blocked by the league. Not because they’re genocidal, homophobic, transphobic, misogynistic, refugee starving murderers, but because they also actively pirate football coverage on a large scale.

It’ll all come down to that... most likely outcome is probably that their pirate network, BeOutQ, will be shut down and the buyout will go ahead, but we just have to wait and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Trigger wrote: »
    Has the Newcaste takeover been ratified yet? Wouldnt be surprised so see Mike Ashley pull out at the last moment

Was supposed to been held up over the Saudis illegally streaming the PL. Mad that that's something that's flagged on a fit and proper test and not the awful human rights violations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Listening to one of the pods tonight and they were saying on June 1st Newcastle once again took direct debit payments off season ticket holders for next season even after the outrage of doing it the first time during the pandemic they went ahead and did it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Any word of any updated squads for this season? Anyone released/loan ended etc. And will players returning from loan spells be eligible for their parent clubs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

pjohnson wrote: »
    Any word of any updated squads for this season? Anyone released/loan ended etc. And will players returning from loan spells be eligible for their parent clubs?

I know Loris Karius for instance can't train with Liverpool yet as even though his loan contract was terminated, he can't register for his parent club until the window opens and he can't play for Liverpool this season (I know he wouldn't anyway but just using the example). It's the same with Alexis Sanchez and Chris Smalling if their loans end without being extended, they can't play. Same with any returning loan player so the majority of the time they're being extended, Victor Moses another one.

Also with Liverpool, Harry Wilson has extended his Bournemouth loan and Adam Lallana has signed a 1 month contract extension so both will finish the season with the teams they played for before this all started. Nathaniel Clyne however, is expected to be released before July. Brewster should stay with Swansea in another loan extension.

Tomas Soucek also extended with West Ham, Ighalo extended with United. Sidibe is likely to extend loan at Everton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

pjohnson wrote: »

Players can only play for the club they are registered with. So for example Danny Rose can only play for Newcastle, it doesn't matter if his loan is extended or not, he cannot play for Spurs.

The only proposed exceptions are the likes of Tom Heaton who was registered to play in the Premier League with Aston Villa for the 1st half of the season but left out of the 2nd squad due to injury. Aston Villa still hold his registration to play.

• Advertisement

Just realised we’re a week away from the PL returning. A week! That’s, like, a normal amount of time to wait for a game!

• ~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Just realised we’re a week away from the PL returning. A week! That’s, like, a normal amount of time to wait for a game!

I've the Friday booked off and told the missus to leave the house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

For good or just til the end of the season?

• Rock77 wrote: »
    For good or just til the end of the season?

Thinking about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

A few Tom Hanks on Friday night after the football so :pac:

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Thinking about it

Let us know if it works, and if the deal includes kids or not.

• 5starpool wrote: »
    Let us know if it works, and if the deal includes kids or not.

Confirmed as part of the deal

Confirmed as part of the deal

I might hire you to be my negotiator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Dele Alli has been given a one match ban from a social media post at the start of the pandemic when he mocked the Asian community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Some BS from the EPL, with political slogans and emblems on the shirts front and back next week.
    I've no problem with the Black Lives Matter movement, but IMHO a big mistake putting emblems and slogans on the shirts, enough politics mixing up with sport already, and after this any campaign can justifiably say 'well why can't we have our logo and message on the shirts'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Some BS from the EPL, with political slogans and emblems on the shirts front and back next week.
    I've no problem with the Black Lives Matter movement, but IMHO a big mistake putting emblems and slogans on the shirts, enough politics mixing up with sport already, and after this any campaign can justifiably say 'well why can't we have our logo and message on the shirts'.

I wouldn't consider BLM political...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

It's the players that want to do it, so let them.

"The 24-year-old posted a video of himself wearing a mask in an airport lounge on 6 February before zooming in on an Asian man, with the caption "Corona whattttt, please listen with volume".

The video was promptly deleted and Alli posted an apology, but not before one of the 160 recipients on his close friends list on Snapchat had copied it and sold it to a national newspaper. "

Going to guess Alli isnt one of the Mensa level footballers. Any famous person like that should know better than to have a 160 person "close friends" list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,493 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

NBC coverage will have piped in noise from EA anyway, with option to opt out via digital channels. One for people to look out for if watching via streams.

https://twitter.com/AndrewMarchand/status/1271157080066588673?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

"The 24-year-old posted a video of himself wearing a mask in an airport lounge on 6 February before zooming in on an Asian man, with the caption "Corona whattttt, please listen with volume".

The video was promptly deleted and Alli posted an apology, but not before one of the 160 recipients on his close friends list on Snapchat had copied it and sold it to a national newspaper. "

Going to guess Alli isnt one of the Mensa level footballers. Any famous person like that should know better than to have a 160 person "close friends" list.

It was.... Rebecka Vardy!

(it probably was not...)

Mushy wrote: »
    NBC coverage will have piped in noise from EA anyway, with option to opt out via digital channels. One for people to look out for if watching via streams.

https://twitter.com/AndrewMarchand/status/1271157080066588673?s=20

I wonder has anyone considered filling in the seats digitally as well to fake a crowd to go along with the noise? Would they need to clubs to essentially green screen the seats for this to be possible (which I doubt will happen) or could it be attempted anyhow I wonder? Just musing, obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

5starpool wrote: »
    I wonder has anyone considered filling in the seats digitally as well to fake a crowd to go along with the noise? Would they need to clubs to essentially green screen the seats for this to be possible (which I doubt will happen) or could it be attempted anyhow I wonder? Just musing, obviously.

They did that at the Sevilla v Betis game last night using computer game crowd

la-ligapng

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,493 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

8-10 wrote: »
    They did that at the Sevilla v Betis game last night using computer game crowd

la-ligapng

Is that what that was? Half blinded by it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

PR isn't it? All the big sporting organizations and companies scrambling all over each other to look the most humane, and all to protect their profitabilty.

I wonder if players who don't wish to particpate in the PR exercise allowed to wear the normal shirts? Probably be too scared to do so anyway I suppose.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

That horse bolted with the highly politicised Poppy wearing each year. The EPL is used as a propaganda tool by the British army.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

So before Wednesday can Harry stick up that spaced out table thing again. I'm sure I'm not the only user who could genuinely use a reminder of who is where by how much from about 7th down to 19th :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I wouldn't consider BLM political...?

Really? That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it, but BLM has become very political in my opinion. Particularly in the US, where everything is political at the moment, but elsewhere too,where it seems less about equality as about a bandwagon to use for other agendas.

As someone else posted, the Poppy thing has probably meant that the ship has sailed, but IMHO it should not be the case. FIFA had regulations banning political slogans/campaigns, and I think it should be adhered to. Anyway, I'll just be glad to see the games back on either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The same shirts that are made in sweat shops in the far east .
    Its utter hypocrisy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Table as it stands (no of games left)

82 Liverpool (9)
    57 Man City (10)
    53 Leicester (9)
    48 Chelsea (9)
    45 Man Utd (9)
    43 Wolves (9) Sheff Utd (10)
    41 Spurs (9)
    40 Arsenal (10)
    39 Burnley (9) Palace (9)
    37 Everton (9)
    35 Newcastle (9)
    34 Southampton (9)
    29 Brighton (9)
    27 West Ham (9) Watford (9) Bournemouth (9)
    25 Villa (10)
    21 Norwich (9)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I don’t get these tables, why not just put

Liverpool +25 points,
    Man City +4 points etc .

I presume we can’t put the normal table up for some EPL rights reason?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Drumpot wrote: »

Liverpool +25 points,
    Man City +4 points etc .

Cause some people like to pleasure themselves to the spaces.

It's an interesting way to view the table. Really good representation of the ways things stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

It's an interesting way to view the table. Really good representation of the ways things stand.

I suppose one is as good as another, it’s just so big.

Can’t believe the league is starting back up in less then a week, very surreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Liverpool +25 points,
    Man City +4 points etc .

Don't mention the war.
    Cause some people like to pleasure themselves to the spaces.

Too late.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

It is big but it is a great way to see the gaps between positions. Normally wouldn't be as big to be fair but for the season liverpool are having.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

If that's so, I can't understand why noone else uses it?

.....maybe its not.....

Itd be smaller if other teams won more games :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

FourFourTwo and a couple of other websites use it often enough.

Its called a Cann table if you want to google it.

Its not particularly suitable for print media or TV, so will likely remain niche.

It's usually not that big tbf. Its just the way the season has gone.
    ShamoBuc wrote: »
    It is big but it is a great way to see the gaps between positions. Normally wouldn't be as big to be fair but for the season liverpool are having.

Spot on.

.....maybe its not.....

It gets posted every year though, particularly around crunch time...

For top four, or relegation battles, it's a nice quick clear visual read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    It gets posted every year though, particularly around crunch time...

For top four, or relegation battles, it's a nice quick clear visual read.

Maybe I've never noticed it before.

Can't see the appeal of it myself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Maybe I've never noticed it before.

Can't see the appeal of it myself.

Maybe as your favourite team is not the one at the top of it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

First time I’ve seen the table like that..

Jaysus Liverpool have seriously dominated! When you see it like that it really highlights it...

Hope it never happens again but enjoy it lads!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Rock77 wrote: »
    First time I’ve seen the table like that..

Jaysus Liverpool have seriously dominated! When you see it like that it really highlights it...

Hope it never happens again but enjoy it lads!!

That's key to its appeal. Writing the points difference is one thing but seeing the literal gap is much more eye opening.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement