Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20 #Mod Notes First post [Updated 24/07/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    That's key to its appeal. Writing the points difference is one thing but seeing the literal gap is much more eye opening.

I suppose if you have difficulty with numbers it could be useful.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I suppose if you have difficulty with numbers it could be useful.

Very true, eg 82-57 doesn't roll off the tongue but visually it is very clear that it is a big gap.

For relegation places I think it works even better to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

It's a visual aid. Similar to a graph. One could just always list numbers but graphs and charts helps with understanding data better.

I don't understand why some posters get so upset by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

It's a visual aid. Similar to a graph. One could just always list numbers but graphs and charts helps with understanding data better.

I don't understand why some posters get so upset by it.

No one got upset with this table in previous seasons :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

DM_7 wrote: »
    Maybe as your favourite team is not the one at the top of it :pac:

Think that comment says more about yourself to be honest....
    I never remember Man Utd fans being so insecure that they needed to use it when they ran away with the title...

I can see the appeal of it for relegation and areas where there are only a few teams but a table that takes up so much space to view, i don't see the appeal. If you can't read the numbers and Maths is an issue then i suppose it makes sense.
    Myself, I prefer to see the whole table on one page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Rock77 wrote: »
    First time I’ve seen the table like that..

You must be new here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Speak Now wrote: »
    No one got upset with this table in previous seasons :D

I don’t remember seeing it other seasons but I mostly stayed in the United forum so prob just missed it or just never really paid attention!. I wouldn’t say I’m upset, I just think it’s a bit silly looking TBH, a 61 line table for a 20 league team.

I don’t want to start off a United v Pool thing, I had just seen that table a few time’s and never understood Why people didn’t post a simpler/smaller table. Thought everybody was Friends’s here now and asking wouldn’t cause a stir.

I never remember Man Utd fans being so insecure that they needed to use it when they ran away with the title...

I can see the appeal of it for relegation and areas where there are only a few teams but a table that takes up so much space to view, i don't see the appeal. If you can't read the numbers and Maths is an issue then i suppose it makes sense.

Pretty sure citytillidie can read numbers, and his maths are ok. He's been supplying tables and fixtures to the forum for years and they are most welcomed.

6 wrote: »
    Pretty sure citytillidie can read numbers, and his maths are ok. He's been supplying tables and fixtures to the forum for years and they are most welcomed.

I remember a few years ago there was some Uproar about posting EPL tables on websites or something like that. Is that what happened to change things, are we not allowed post the table?

Drumpot wrote: »
    I remember a few years ago there was some Uproar about posting EPL tables on websites or something like that. Is that what happened to change things, are we not allowed post the table?

Don't think there's any restrictions on posting the table from a website. Not that I'm aware of anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

Please don't try to make my comments out to be an attack on an individual poster as they clearly aren't. My only individual response was to DM7 who referred to me first.

Surely I am entitled to my opinion on a graph or anything for that matter.

Don't think there's any restrictions on posting the table from a website. Not that I'm aware of anyway.

I’d swear there was one season when some sort of rules were coming in on Internet and part of it affected posting tables or maybe fixtures?

Ah well, looking forward to things starting back now. Any plans for the celebrations? Must be odd for fans trying to enjoy this, when are pubs open again, end of the month? Would you prefer to win the league later and be able to head out or just win it sooner in Case there are any more interruptions?

I’d swear there was one season when some sort of rules were coming in on Internet and part of it affected posting tables or maybe fixtures?

Ah well, looking forward to things starting back now. Any plans for the celebrations? Must be odd for fans trying to enjoy this, when are pubs open again, end of the month? Would you prefer to win the league later and be able to head out or just win it sooner in Case there are any more interruptions?

Think was more to do with showing goals and highlights iirc. It's been a while though!

If Liverpool win it I'll be watching with mates. Don't mind when they win it tbh, once they win it. Never a huge fan of pubs for games. Much prefer to watch it with a smaller crowd of mates in a house.

• I think some folks need to look up what the definition of upset means :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Pretty sure that type of table was used on here before this year too. Its great that football is back soon. We’re down to bickering over table formats being posted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Pretty sure that type of table was used on here before this year too. Its great that football is back soon. We’re down to bickering over table formats being posted

roll on the VAR debates!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Sorry Dave, my previous post was in jest at how the table in that style would most appeal to a fan of a team so far ahead of everyone else. Not supposed to be a commentary on you at all or any deep meaning in terms of anyone feeling insecure.

I like the traditional table format myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Not sure about the table but you're supposed to pay to show/reproduce the fixture list.

Then Boards banned the posting of pl goal gifs a few seasons back, out of fear of being sued for copyright infringement

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Not sure about the table but you're supposed to pay to show/reproduce the fixture list.

Then Boards banned the posting of pl goal gifs a few seasons back, out of fear of being sued for copyright infringement

I knew there was something, was it Coveney going around on some sort of internet righteous regulation buzz?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭batistuta9

I knew there was something, was it Coveney going around on some sort of internet righteous regulation buzz?

It was Sean Sherlock, wouldn't have remember about that until you mentioned a politician.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_DataCo
    This is the group - pl, EFL, spfl - that charged for reproducing the fixtures, but it looks as though they lost a court case at the ECJ in 2012 on it.
    Now have copyright on live data that gambling companies use, media images etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Marcus Rashford seems to be a great lad. The amount of charity work work he is doing during this pandemic is immense. And highlighting the ineptitude of his government, but that is a different discussion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

He certainly is coming across very well with all the good that he has done, seems pretty level headed in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Rashford is probably the rival PL player I admire most right now

His play reminds me stylistically of Daniel Sturridge (stylistically, not comparing how good he is) with his pace and finishing abilities.

But his off the field stuff elevates him more as a top player. He seems to really 'get it' in terms of being a role model. Good sense of local community, humble, and isn't just promoting himself on instagram and whatever the kids are doing despite still being a young man himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

There's no two ways about it.

Marcus Rashford is a thoroughly decent, generous and kind human being.

Top lad.

• https://twitter.com/MarcusRashford/status/1272302819819823105?s=19

This is his open letter to MPs today

You have to remember this guy is only 22 and obviously came up so fast into hard earned wealth

Incredibly level headed for his age

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Have any of them replied or even acknowledged it yet today?
    It's probably a good day (for the government to bury it) because they're doing their photo ops and tweeting about the shops openping and how great it is. They're just off the back of yesterday's pretending to care about Grenfell .

Does Boris have a press conference today or tomorrow? With any luck the press might (pardon the pun) press him on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

SlickRic wrote: »
    There's no two ways about it.

Marcus Rashford is a thoroughly decent, generous and kind human being.

Top lad.

When I hear these things from any footballer I do wonder how much is it the player and how much is his PR team ?

Is that the cynic in me,

I suppose either way its great to see them help people out,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

When I hear these things from any footballer I do wonder how much is it the player and how much is his PR team ?

Is that the cynic in me,

I suppose either way its great to see them help people out,

Its not like he's just done a photo op handing over 100 PPEs.... he's been very serious and involved in this, and it is disingenuous, imo, to cast aspersions on it at all.

Its not like he's just done a photo op handing over 100 PPEs.... he's been very serious and involved in this, and it is disingenuous, imo, to cast aspersions on it at all.

Its a fantastic thing and fair play to all and anyone involved,

I just mean In the wider field of footballers and good deeds , but its impossible to ever know how many are home grown idea's and how many are PR conceptions that players then run with either way if they help people then im all for it ,

• Advertisement

Its a fantastic thing and fair play to all and anyone involved,

I just mean In the wider field of footballers and good deeds , but its impossible to ever know how many are home grown idea's and how many are PR conceptions that players then run with either way if they help people then im all for it ,

Probably applies to any "celebrity" really. Some probably do these things because they really want to, some for PR, some for a mixture of the two. I guess the most important thing is that people are being helped out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Rashford proving to be a great role model for younger people. Not just someone who talks about issues ie. Sterling and Joshua. It seems like he can really make a difference. Good to see people like this doing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

wadacrack wrote: »
    Rashford proving to be a great role model for younger people. Not just someone who talks about issues ie. Sterling and Joshua. It seems like he can really make a difference. Good to see people like this doing well.

Sterling has done lots off the field too. He certainly doesn't just 'talk'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Stephen A Smith

Sterling has arguably been at the forefront of players making a difference to kids the last 18-24 months. Wasn’t it only last years FA Cup final or semi final he took all students of his former primary school to the game out of his own pocket.

I’ll have to take your word on Joshua, can’t recall anything to offer a different opinion on him but Sterling is ok in my book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

OT for here but what way is the school meal thing done in the UK? Are the kids actually fed in the canteen in schools? Could they not just make the canteen free for everyone but if you dont qualify for the meal vouchers you pay at the start of the year in full or by term/week or something so as far as the kids know , they all just go get food the same way.

I saw Matt Forde saying on twitter earlier that he got them as a kid and he said stuff like hed be embarrassed queuing for it in the first place and hed be hoping it wouldnt be made worse by there being an error and his name not being on the list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Sterling has arguably been at the forefront of players making a difference to kids the last 18-24 months. Wasn’t it only last years FA Cup final or semi final he took all students of his former primary school to the game out of his own pocket.

I’ll have to take your word on Joshua, can’t recall anything to offer a different opinion on him but Sterling is ok in my book.

Both spoke about rasicm. Sterling ignored racial incidents in the past. One involving a team mate/ Joshua talks about being humble and equality but now set to fight in Saudi Arabia with Daniel Kinahan also involved. Both essentially just jumped on a bandwagon. This strikes me as more genuine with Rashford. Didint know about Sterling tho, fair play to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Jordan Ibe has posted a video On Instagram of him and 2 mates getting stopped by police on way home from training today. Alleged that the police van going in opposite direction swung round, followed them and got them to pull in. 5 or 6 police officers in video couldn’t/wouldn’t tell them why they were stopped. It was cringeworthy looking at the police fail miserably to justify it when everyone knows why they picked that car. Allowed them go once they’d run the registration through their system. World is truly gone mad.

eigrod wrote: »
    Jordan Ibe has posted a video On Instagram of him and 2 mates getting stopped by police on way home from training today. Alleged that the police van going in opposite direction swung round, followed them and got them to pull in. 5 or 6 police officers in video couldn’t/wouldn’t tell them why they were stopped. It was cringeworthy looking at the police fail miserably to justify it when everyone knows why they picked that car. Allowed them go once they’d run the registration through their system. World is truly gone mad.

People get stopped driving all the time, Iv been stopped twice in recent months , Just police doing there job ,

I see our own Miguel Delaney is in hot water with his employers, they’re is pictures online of an email sent to a supporter of a club from the Independent Saying they have warned him about his conduct and reminded him of his responsibility’s.

He has made a few Hitler comparisons to Newcastle and Manchester City fans about their ownership.

Tweets since been deleted.

People get stopped driving all the time, Iv been stopped twice in recent months , Just police doing there job ,

Not the way these were. It wasn’t a standard checkpoint. The police van was going in the opposite direction and swung round and followed them to pull them in for no reason that they could articulate to them, despite being asked repeatedly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Miguel, Rory Smith and Second Captains had a good discussion on BLM's today on the pod.

Interesting topic on if players of colour will/should boycott the 2020 World Cup in Qatar which is a police state and used slave labour to build the stadiums they will play the games in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,021 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Both spoke about rasicm. Sterling ignored racial incidents in the past. One involving a team mate/ Joshua talks about being humble and equality but now set to fight in Saudi Arabia with Daniel Kinahan also involved. Both essentially just jumped on a bandwagon. This strikes me as more genuine with Rashford. Didint know about Sterling tho, fair play to him

Jump on a bandwagon? Sterling started the bandwagon!

I'm really not a fan of this thing of someone trying to make a difference only being respected if they are absolutely flawless in doing it. It's unfair, and unrealistic. Sterling has been fantastic for bringing up the race discussion in England, particularly the bias in treatment from the media. I wish he had handled the Bernardo Silva incident a bit differently - I don't think he's wrong to defend his friend on the allegation of being racist, after all his personal experience of hanging out with the guy is to the contrary, but should have acknowledged that once something 'between two friends' is posted publicly it's no longer between two friends, and should have pointed out Silva's naivety in not realising the racial connotations of his 'joke'. But even though he didn't handle that situation as well as he could have, it doesn't negate all the good things he has done.

Other people get stopped, therefore there is no possibility of bias in the volume or circumstances of stoppages by race?

I don't have enough experience of the UK to know whether there is a similar bias against black drivers there as there is in the US, but the fact other people get stopped too isn't exactly proof of anything...

Not the way these were. It wasn’t a standard checkpoint. The police van was going in the opposite direction and swung round and followed them to pull them in for no reason that they could articulate to them, despite being asked repeatedly.

How do you know that there wasn't a reason? Maybe the cops are looking for someone and aren't going to divulge their information? Maybe they fitted a description, or their car did
    Haven't seen the incident btw, just wondering.

Miguel, Rory Smith and Second Captains had a good discussion on BLM's today on the pod.

Interesting topic on if players of colour will/should boycott the 2020 World Cup in Qatar which is a police state and used slave labour to build the stadiums they will play the games in.

I don’t know if it’s the voice, the hair, the face, the fact he’s on everything from Sky Sports to off the ball to second captains, that his name is Miguel, or a mixture of all 5 but there is something terribly annoying about him.

I prefer it when I can just read his stuff besides having to look or listen to him.

How do you know that there wasn't a reason? Maybe the cops are looking for someone and aren't going to divulge their information? Maybe they fitted a description, or their car did
    Haven't seen the incident btw, just wondering.

Because they were asked why repeatedly by the 3 lads and as I said originally, they couldn’t/wouldn’t tell them. It was pretty clear to me they picked them out because they were black and driving a high value vehicle, but that’s just my opinion.

Because they were asked why repeatedly by the 3 lads and as I said originally, they couldn’t/wouldn’t tell them. It was pretty clear to me they picked them out because they were black and driving a high value vehicle, but that’s just my opinion.

Quick funny/unfortunate/harrowing story this reminded me of - a buddy of mine in LA (so not relevant to this instance specifically since its another country) is an actor and teacher. Does pretty well for himself, and has quite a nice Merc, and was telling me he was forever getting pulled over, like, ridiculously often. Finally he asked for legal advice on this, if there was something he should do or say to stop it happening in future. He was told to put a stuffed toy up on the back window, which changes your demographic from Black Man/High value vehicle, to Family Man. And it worked!

Since he told me, I've actually noticed this in a load of cars over there, people with stuffed animals placed really prominently in the back window, so I'm guessing it's, like, a "known thing".

You could be right.

However, you could be completely wrong too.

©Michael Owen 2020 :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Quick funny/unfortunate/harrowing story this reminded me of - a buddy of mine in LA (so not relevant to this instance specifically since its another country) is an actor and teacher. Does pretty well for himself, and has quite a nice Merc, and was telling me he was forever getting pulled over, like, ridiculously often. Finally he asked for legal advice on this, if there was something he should do or say to stop it happening in future. He was told to put a stuffed toy up on the back window, which changes your demographic from Black Man/High value vehicle, to Family Man. And it worked!

Since he told me, I've actually noticed this in a load of cars over there, people with stuffed animals placed really prominently in the back window, so I'm guessing it's, like, a "known thing".

Wow that is funny and also terrible that they have to do that.

Props for the idea though. Just need to make it a Polar Bear for obvious reasons!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

It really does feel like a mini World Cup coming up the way the fixtures will be coming thick and fast. I may not even bother getting dressed at the weekend, just slouch on the couch!

Whatever your allegiances it’s just fantastic to have it back.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement