Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20 #Mod Notes First post [Updated 24/07/20]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

PhilipsR wrote: »
    How is it poor form? The next contract he signs will be his moneymaker. To put that in jeopardy would be insanity.

I heard Timo Werner is not going to play CL QFs with RB Leipzig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

PhilipsR wrote: »
    How is it poor form? The next contract he signs will be his moneymaker. To put that in jeopardy would be insanity.

Because instead of helping his teammates avoid relegation and retain their Premier League place, he would rather sit at home with his feet up and watch the efforts of those team mates, just so he can get a bigger contract for himself for next season with a club who have already secured their place in the Premier League.

He clearly doesn't care about the fortunes of the club that brought him to England in League One, played in the Championship & then the Premier League. He is already leaving on a free transfer, one month extra is not a lot to ask. He cares about his own pocket for the future only, and not the club and fans who paid his wages for years. It's a bad look tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Ryan Fraser has been rubbish this season and probably won't have played for about 6 months by the time he signs for someone else. Can't say I can see clubs queuing up to sign him. Not only are you getting an average player but an unfit average one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

FitzShane wrote: »
    Because instead of helping his teammates avoid relegation and retain their Premier League place, he would rather sit at home with his feet up and watch the efforts of those team mates, just so he can get a bigger contract for himself for next season with a club who have already secured their place in the Premier League.

He clearly doesn't care about the fortunes of the club that brought him to England in League One, played in the Championship & then the Premier League. He is already leaving on a free transfer, one month extra is not a lot to ask. He cares about his own pocket for the future only, and not the club and fans who paid his wages for years. It's a bad look tbh.

He's a professional footballer at a small club with limited time to make the most money he can out of his career. Of course he's going to look out for what's best for himself. To think otherwise is highly naive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

ERG89 wrote: »
    Ryan Fraser has been rubbish this season and probably won't have played for about 6 months by the time he signs for someone else. Can't say I can see clubs queuing up to sign him. Not only are you getting an average player but an unfit average one.

It was inferred on some of the podcasts a few months ago (pre Covid) that Fraser had a bad attitude, had pretty much downed tools, and was running his contract down from a long way out.

It wouldn't impress me much TBH if it was true to be honest, , he can still be professional and do his job until his Contract runs out. If there is a grain of truth in that, it's no surprise he's pulled stick for the last few games.

Buyer beware I'd say though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Buyer beware I'd say though
    Which may affect any club looking to sign/pay him. Staying healthy is great, but actually playing well for a few games would benefit him after the poor season he's had.

He's a professional footballer at a small club with limited time to make the most money he can out of his career. Of course he's going to look out for what's best for himself. To think otherwise is highly naive.

Says a lot about his character then. Not a team player.

Wasn't their rumors that he had fallen out with senior Bournemouth players because of his attitude too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Hasn't Vertongen pulled the same stunt and Werner ?

Think its case of not wanting to get injured with an offer on table,

In my eyes its being an absolute P*ck.,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,021 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Hasn't Vertongen pulled the same stunt and Werner ?

Think its case of not wanting to get injured with an offer on table,

In my eyes its being an absolute P*ck.,

Dick move alright, but thankfully it definitely seems to be very much the minority stance amongst players out of contract.

Even the Werner and Vertonghen positions are a little different... Werner is playing out the rest of the season in Germany, but isn't going to do the Euro matches which take place after the season's over, in favour of going to Chelsea to start working with them. Would still frown upon this, but it's a weird case.

Vertonghen on the other hand is trying to use it as leverage to push them into offering a longer deal than just the few months - he wants 2 years. Could maybe see a compromise there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

It's explained here, but not very clearly.
    https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/12004035/crowd-noise-available-for-sky-sports-premier-league-games-how-it-works

But it seems (for those with the full sports package obviously) that Main Event will be with crowd noise included, as will any games on Sky One and Pick.
    Games will be shown at the same time on Sky Premier League without noise.

Hopefully the first game tonight will clarify it.

Dave Jones on sky confirmed that Sky Sports Main event will have augmented crowd noise and that sky sports premier league will be without. Just glad that they have given us the choice. Sky sports premier league for me tonight for the Arsenal game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

For the free to air sky games tonight, do you have to have sky already? They're hardly showing it with virgin? Have Pick on channel 133 but not on schedule

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Eod100 wrote: »
    For the free to air sky games tonight, do you have to have sky already? They're ha

There is no free to air games tonight, the 1st one is on friday tea time, and for Ireland the games are no longer on Pick Ireland so you may need to add the UK version in via add channels, or they will be on Sky One

• Dave Jones on sky confirmed that Sky Sports Main event will have augmented crowd noise and that sky sports premier league will be without. Just glad that they have given us the choice. Sky sports premier league for me tonight for the Arsenal game.

I thought I read somewhere it's a selectable option for digital?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

There is no free to air games tonight, the 1st one is on friday tea time, and for Ireland the games are no longer on Pick Ireland so you may need to add the UK version in via add channels, or they will be on Sky One

Ah you're right! Dunno why I thought the 2 games tonight were fta. Nice one for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

I thought I read somewhere it's a selectable option for digital?

Yeah could possibly be, would make sense alright. Didn’t hear him mention that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Pedro apparently not willing to play on for chelsea having agreed a deal to join Roma.

https://twitter.com/SJohnsonSport/status/1273286672126541824

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Pedro refusing to play for Chelsea as he's apparently got a contract agreed with Roma.

https://t.co/fN4HpEbdMO

Another poor showing, this time by Pedro.

Not that Chelsea can complain too much though, as Werner is doing the same which benefits them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭batistuta9

do you call it a poor showing when clubs refuse to give players contracts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

He's probably already moved out of London lol, the players are right to put themselves first,the club will always out itself first too,no issues for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Is the Villa game on TV?

you just have to look at what happened to Valdes when he got injured between agreeing to sign for Monaco and officially moving to them. Why would a player risk it.

Is the Villa game on TV?

Every premier league game is on TV, isn't it? Though I guess whatever Amazon have, even if they show it freely, is no on TV per se.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Every premier league game is on TV, isn't it? Though I guess whatever Amazon have, even if they show it freely, is no on TV per se.

Amazon games are on Premier sports here.

I found a good stream.

• Advertisement

Is Reina injured or dropped?

Edit, was Rodwell without a club since the end of last season?
    A year is a long time to be out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Villa team huddle so social distancing out the window before the game even starts,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Actually totally forgot Ancelotti is the Everton manager. Over 100 days ago since the last ball was kicked. Longest time in my life without premier League football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

Is it just me or is the BLM stuff on the back of the players jerseys a bit tacky / mealy mouthed?

Like the Brazil team holding a Neymar jersey for their team photo when he was out injured.

The one dude in the tunnel in the full suit with the spray bottle looked like he was ready to step out and de-lice all the players. :)

• Advertisement

Is it just me or is the BLM stuff on the back of the players jerseys a bit tacky / mealy mouthed?

Like the Brazil team holding a Neymar jersey for their team photo when he was out injured.

One of these things is not like the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Impeccably observed silence there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Villa team huddle so social distancing out the window before the game even starts,

There'd be no football if they had to social distance from one another, how do you think defending corners will work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wonder what kind of reaction there would be a some players don't take a knee in this moments.

Wish there was no crowd pumped in. With a dodgy stream one can't turn it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Artificial crowd sound on Sky Sports main Event, actual sound on Sky Sports PL.

you just have to look at what happened to Valdes when he got injured between agreeing to sign for Monaco and officially moving to them. Why would a player risk it.

And for every Valdes example, there's probably a hundred examples of a player playing to the end of his contract without getting injured, even after agreeing a move elsewhere.

The joys of having sky:) No ****ty white noise on sky sports PL.

Though the ****ers have it on if you choose UHD. So had to switch back :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

I think it's actually alright. There was a missed header by Sheff Utd just now and the "oooh" sound was fairly reactive so it shouldn't stick out like a sore thumb. The main thing is you can hear the real audio as well.

Surely he has to be lifting that over the keeper with his first touch there?

At that stage he thought he was on.

• Advertisement

fyfe79 wrote: »
    I think it's actually alright. There was a missed header by Sheff Utd just now and the "oooh" sound was fairly reactive so it shouldn't stick out like a sore thumb. The main thing is you can hear the real audio as well.

I've actually found a silent crowd stream and it's a bit weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Noticed the opposing managers and coaches approaching each other at start to shake hands/elbows, surely that really shouldn't happen depite the sporting sentiment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Switched the noise off there and I couldn't watch it. Much better with IMO even if there is a bit of a delay in the reactions but I'm sure the DJ will get better at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I much prefer this than the bundesliga coverage,the crowd noise is making it far more realistic to watch imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

rob316 wrote: »
    Switched the noise off there and I couldn't watch it. Much better with IMO even if there is a bit of a delay in the reactions but I'm sure the DJ will get better at it.

The one chant over and over again, in this case "Villa Villa", is even more annoying than usual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

dfx- wrote: »
    The one chant over and over again, in this case "Villa Villa", is even more annoying than usual

But isn't that what you'd hear at a Villa home game?

Anytime i put it on I just hear general cheering, nothing specific to any team.

Curious when a goal is scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

I much prefer this than the bundesliga coverage,the crowd noise is making it far more realistic to watch imo.

The Bundesliga has had the crowd noise option the last few matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Was that over the line??
    Looked like it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

That looked like a goal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,021 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Holy shit, that realllyyy looks over the line!

First ever 'refs watch' error thing?

Or is there some trick of the eye where it actually somehow wasn't over?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement