Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20 #Mod Notes First post [Updated 24/07/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Bridge93 wrote: »
    I didn’t say it was, it was a question as there seems to be confusion as to the source of it. The players are pretty dim to not bother knowing exactly what they’re getting involved in

I don't ever remember seeing anything about a song about fans been battered in the streets until after Sean Cox was attacked. That's not saying they didn't but I never heard/saw it mentioned before that.

Either way the players from a team should not be singing about such matters. You wouldn't see Liverpool players singing about Munich or United players singing about Hillsborough because those players have class and represent their club to the highest standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

How about you don’t get so defensive and stop jumping to conclusions. Both myself and others have acknowledged it’s not on either way. Is questioning the truth not allowed? Or will we just accept the truth from the Liverpool contingent?

OK fair enough, I retract my comments and apologise

For the record I wasn't intending on being defensive specifically because of the teams involved, I am just emotional about the Sean Cox incident as I've posted before so yes I'm likely overly defensive because of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I don't ever remember seeing anything about a song about fans been battered in the streets until after Sean Cox was attacked. That's not saying they didn't but I never heard/saw it mentioned before that.

Either way the players from a team should not be singing about such matters. You wouldn't see Liverpool players singing about Munich or United players singing about Hillsborough because those players have class and represent their club to the highest standards.

I’ve never heard it pre Kiev as some seemed to claim. The only versions I’ve seen were that it was either about Liverpool v Roma or Liverpool v Madrid. Anything earlier than that based on the lyrics is pretty far fetched

8-10 wrote: »
    OK fair enough, I retract my comments and apologise

For the record I wasn't intending on being defensive specifically because of the teams involved, I am just emotional about the Sean Cox incident as I've posted before so yes I'm likely overly defensive because of it

Yeah that’s totally fair. The amount of, mostly twitter driven, **** posted about incidents which should be off limits to all is horrible. Obviously Sean cox is the closest to home in every sense.

Being outside the Liverpool bubble I just like to believe players couldn’t be that awful. If it’s the Kiev incident it’s bad enough but Sean is another thing entirely. Of course it could well be about that night at Anfield for which ignorance or not there’s no excuse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Rock77 wrote: »
    Shearer has a PL medal.

That's all he has, should have a lot more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

TitianGerm wrote: »

Would not holds Man Utd players up after they won the CL for the 3rd time there were reports of them singing the fan song we won it 3 times without murdering people.

http://therepublikofmancunia.com/weve-won-it-three-times/

The chant isn’t in good taste, certainly, just like so many chants up and down the country, but it shouldn’t be lumped with singing about Hillsborough and Munich. United players were singing it after we won in Moscow and whilst that was picked up in the press, there was little to no fuss made about it. If they had been singing about Hillsborough though, it would have been a completely different matter, and rightly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Would not holds Man Utd players up after they won the CL for the 3rd time there were reports of them singing the fan song we won it 3 times without murdering people.

Citation needed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

"All the way to Kiev, to end up in defeat, crying in the stands and battered on the streets, Kompany injured Salah, victims of it all, Sterling won the double, the Scousers won f--k all."

& I suppose "victims of it all" isn't a reference to Hillsborough also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

DVDM93 wrote: »

Who knows. Probably. Or it could be times when Liverpool football club actually played the victim.

Doesn't matter anyway. Whenever the word "Victim" is used against Liverpool fans they will always assume it's Hillsborough related.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

"All the way to Kiev, to end up in defeat, crying in the stands and battered on the streets, Kompany injured Salah, victims of it all, Sterling won the double, the Scousers won f--k all."

:confused:

The poster above me claimed there were reports of United players singing bad taste songs after winning the clubs 3rd champions league, I've never heard this claim before so I asked for some evidence of said reports.

It has literally nothing to do with what you've posted above.

• Advertisement

I think this has been done to death at this stage anyway.

We all agree that City players were in the wrong that time which is now over a year ago and that's why people find B Silva's remarks as being funny as he's been petty about Liverpool's success ever since.

I doubt the story about United players signing songs like that.

The poster above me claimed there were reports of United players singing bad taste songs after winning the clubs 3rd champions league, I've never heard this claim before so I asked for some evidence of said reports.

It has literally nothing to do with what you've posted above.

read back over the many comments in this thread today that came before yours & you'll see the incident I am referring to & what I'm talking about.

If I was talking to I would have quoted your post, my post had literally nothing to do with yours.

Manchester United have gone three consecutive seasons without a trophy for the first time in 31 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

That was my understanding when some fans were deemed to be acting the hardman and got put in their place in Kiev, or something along those lines

Who knows. Probably. Or it could be times when Liverpool football club actually played the victim.

Doesn't matter anyway. Whenever the word "Victim" is used against Liverpool fans they will always assume it's Hillsborough related.

Do you need a holiday or something?

Non-stop recently.

noodler wrote: »
    Do you need a holiday or something?

Non-stop recently.

I responded to a post in that post I agreed and then also gave an alternative view as a potential cause as well.

And you've ignored what I said and just targeted the poster

Your post did nothing other than look for a response from me which you got. So we'll leave it there and move on. No point discussing it further.

Manchester United have gone three consecutive seasons without a trophy for the first time in 31 years.

This is the first season ever a team lost 3 Semi's in England

FA Cup
    League Cup
    European Cup

Genuinely surprised that it hasn't happend in the history of football. Unless the stat was just PL era

This is the first season ever a team lost 3 Semi's in England

FA Cup
    League Cup
    European Cup

Genuinely surprised that it hasn't happend in the history of football. Unless the stat was just PL era

Lampard has been given a tough time for losing 3 cup finals.

I suppose he'll be looking at that & thinking it could be worse. At least Frank is actually getting to finals.

Ole's losing semis like someone suffering from ED.

Frank 2 years a manager & Ole 9 years, 12 years if you count his stint with the United reserves 2008-2011.

Lampard has been given a tough time for losing 3 cup finals.

I suppose he'll be looking at that & thinking it could be worse. At least Frank is actually getting to finals.

Frank 2 years a manager & Ole 9 years, 12 years if you count his stint with the United reserves 2008-2011.
    Has Frank actually been given a tough time due to losing 3 finals. I think he has actually got it easy from the press across the pond because he is English.
    Losing semi finals and finals are the same thing. They still won fu£king nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I responded to a post in that post I agreed and then also gave an alternative view as a potential cause as well.

And you've ignored what I said and just targeted the poster

Your post did nothing other than look for a response from me which you got. So we'll leave it there and move on. No point discussing it further.

I've just noted a huge number of broad brush Liverpool fan insults recently, as evidenced in the two posts quoted.

It's funny you mention reactions because the inflammatory nature of the posts in question seem to call for just that.

• Advertisement

Has Frank actually been given a tough time due to losing 3 finals. I think he has actually got it easy from the press across the pond because he is English.
    Losing semi finals and finals are the same thing. They still won fu£king nothing.

well from the biased English media no, he's not been given a tough time, you're right there.

more so among fan bases across the board.

well from the biased English media no, he's not been given a tough time, you're right there.

more so among fan bases across the board.
    I think next seasons a big season for both Lampard and Ole. They will have to get closer to the top 2 and probably need a trophy. Ole said when he took over he needed 4 transfer windows to put his mark on the team.Had 2 so far. I think he has done ok so far but this window is huge for him.Lacking dept in the squad at the moment

I just seen the clip again of Scholes' post-game punditry masterclass which I forgot to mention where he said that the gap between Livepool & Man United this season was 20 points?????

It was 33 points.

He was very miserable & mopey looking after the game having been smiling like a cheshire cat at HT saying Seville hadn't a goal in them.

that's constructive criticism by the way as I think if he perked up a little he might do the job better & not make such silly errors.

I think it unfair of him to be lambasting the likes of Maguire for not doing what he's paid for when the same could be said of his performance tonight.

I just seen the clip again of Scholes' post-game punditry masterclass which I forgot to mention where he said that the gap between Livepool & Man United this season was 20 points?????

It was 33 points.

He was very miserable & mopey looking after the game having been smiling like a cheshire cat at HT saying Seville hadn't a goal in them.

that's constructive criticism by the way as I think if he perked up a little he might do the job better & not make such silly errors.

I think it unfair of him to be lambasting the likes of Maguire for not doing what he's paid for when the same could be said of his performance tonight.
    Mod Note

Kindly post in a more acceptable manner

the language! :eek:

the language! :eek:
    :P:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

It was 33 points.

I was watching BT last night, I thought the host guy said 20 points and Scholes corrected him and said 33.. then they all laughed cos the host did it in purpose to take the mick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

I was watching BT last night, I thought the host guy said 20 points and Scholes corrected him and said 33.. then they all laughed cos the host did it in purpose to take the mick

Hush now;)

eh i dunno

https://twitter.com/lfcpaul84/status/1295109260133769217?s=20

brinty wrote: »
    Hush now;)

he got it wrong but there's no need to tell him to hush brinty?! :O

https://twitter.com/lfcpaul84/status/1295109260133769217?s=20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

brinty wrote: »
    Thats a straight up lie on Williams. Its reportedly 40k potentially rising to 60k which is still 10k less than Liverpool are paying their new reserve left back ;)

So no he's not being paid the same as Trent

Daniel James is on 67k per week.

Go figure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Daniel James is on 67k per week.

Go figure.

Ridiculous wages for a kid who was signed from swansea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

The Manchester clubs have to pay more because they have the money and the agents know it. Some of the wages at Utd are crazy. Rashford, De Gea and Sanchez spring to mind but it is understandable. God knows what City are paying KDB to stay with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

Ah didn’t see that bit, that’s obviously why the host was taking the Mick out of him at the end

Ah didn’t see that bit, that’s obviously why the host was taking the Mick out of him at the end

that's it exactly, even the host was taking the Mick out it him :pac:

Hush now;)

:O

rob316 wrote: »
    Ridiculous wages for a kid who was signed from swansea.

handy number for the kid I suppose & fair play to himself & his agent for taking advantage of Manchester United Football Club.

He could spend the week concussed in bed & he'd still be making his 67K.

at the end of the day he still has to put bread on the table no matter how good or bad he is & I for one salute him.

Sadio Mane took 41% of the vote to see off competition from;

Kevin De Bruyne (27%)

and Trent Alexander-Arnold (17%)

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1295299643908251649?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,620 ✭✭✭eigrod

Nice one Sadio. Fantastic player. So exciting to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Sadio Mane took 41% of the vote to see off competition from;

Kevin De Bruyne (27%)

and Trent Alexander-Arnold (17%)

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1295299643908251649?s=20

Is this another new award?

Has the players POTY been done yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

There are too many awards tbh. When you combine those 3 (PL, PFA, FW) with the 2 we did earlier on in the year in the previous thread.......

I love Mane and all, but the PFA Fan's Award has never really held water for me. PFA Player's Award is where it's at

• Advertisement

I love Mane and all, but the PFA Fan's Award has never really held water for me. PFA Player's Award is where it's at

Just had a look at previous winners as didn't know anything about the award.

What did Raul Meireles do in 2011 to warrant it? I can't remember at all.

And does anyone know why there was no award in 2013?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

let's not forget our own Jeff Hendrick who was also on a reported 70k a week at Burnley. Now I for one find it hard to believe. Why the hell would he have left.

Jeff Hendrick was on 35k - 38k as reported by multiple sources. Dunno where 70k came from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Just had a look at previous winners as didn't know anything about the award.

What did Raul Meireles do in 2011 to warrant it? I can't remember at all.

And does anyone know why there was no award in 2013?

scored a good volley against wolves

Berbatov should have won it in 2011;

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.givemesport.com/1510515-exliverpool-midfielder-raul-meireles-won-the-pfa-fans-player-of-the-year-in-2011%3famp

but barring that year, the winner has been pretty much there or thereabouts.

2001 - Steven Gerrard

2002 - Ruud van Nistelrooy

2003 - Thierry Henry

2004 - Thierry Henry

2005 - Frank Lampard

2006 - Wayne Rooney

2007 - Cristiano Ronaldo

2008 - Cristiano Ronaldo

2009 - Steven Gerrard

2010 - Wayne Rooney

2011 - RAUL MEIRELES

2012 - Robin van Persie

2013 - n/a

2014 - Luis Suarez

2015 - Alexis Sanchez

2016 - Riyad Mahrez

2017 - Harry Kane

2018 - Mohamed Salah

2019 - Eden Hazard

2020 - Sadio Mane

I haven't a clue what happened in 2013 tbh.

A list of greats and Raul Meireles just sitting there haha.

insert * Can I come to* GIF

A list of greats and Raul Meireles just sitting there haha.

insert * Can I come to* GIF

the Chief Wiggum one with the Be Sharps works there too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,011 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Jeff Hendrick was on 35k - 38k as reported by multiple sources. Dunno where 70k came from

After tax maybe which would be about right for a footballer on 70k.

Footballers pay 45% on wages throw in pension and union fees they would get about half the gross wage and those who have imagine rights pay more.

Berbatov should have won it in 2013

15 goals for 12th place Fulham?

RVP would have been the obvious choice in 2013, if it was to be someone outside the top teams I'd imagine fans would have picked Michu who scored 18 in the league and helped Swansea win the League Cup - the only major trophy in their history

• Advertisement

15 goals for 12th place Fulham?

RVP would have been the obvious choice in 2013, if it was to be someone outside the top teams I'd imagine fans would have picked Michu who scored 18 in the league and helped Swansea win the League Cup - the only major trophy in their history

sorry, that's meant to be 2011 & I was just quoting the article.

You'll see down the bottom of my post I haven't a clue why the award wasn't given in 2013.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement