Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2019-20 #Mod Notes First post [Updated 24/07/20]

1909192939496»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

& not so much as a birthday cake for poor Yaya Touré.

Has to be aguero but he is still playing, one of the best ever in the Premier league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Aguero will no doubt be a City legend and rightly so but I think Silva has been more important in building the identity City have

The way Silva plays the game is the way City do ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Aguero will no doubt be a City legend and rightly so but I think Silva has been more important in building the identity City have

The way Silva plays the game is the way City do ,

He literally scored a goal in the last kick of a game to win them there first PL title. Don't think there is anyone more loved than Aguero in City's history.

rob316 wrote: »
    He literally scored a goal in the last kick of a game to win them there first league title. Don't think there is anyone more loved than Aguero in City's history.

I'm not questing he's ability or how he is loved by the fans
    I just think Silva has been there most important player over the last 10 years

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

He literally scored a goal in the last kick of a game to win them there first league title. Don't think there is anyone more loved than Aguero in City's history.
    First PL title, third actual title. Remember football began before 1992.

First PL title, third actual title. Remember football began before 1992.

Apologies yes thats what I meant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

He literally scored a goal in the last kick of a game to win them there first PL title. Don't think there is anyone more loved than Aguero in City's history.

Did I see that they needed to win the game and were 0-1 down after 90 minutes. I read that the other day but don't remember it. Must have been a sickener for whoever was second. Wasn't us was it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

CSF wrote: »
    Is it a controversial opinion that there was not a hope David Silva was City’s best ever player?

To say there's not a hope is just silly rather than controversial.

He has to be in the running based on his longevity, his individual performance, his contribution to the team performance and what they won, the impact he's made at the club.

You compare this to any Man City player ever, and simply David Silva has to be included in the conversation.

What are your criteria for deciding a clubs "best ever player" and then tell us the players that fit that criteria?

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Did I see that they needed to win the game and were 0-1 down after 90 minutes. I read that the other day but don't remember it. Must have been a sickener for whoever was second. Wasn't us was it?

2-1 down after 90 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

What age are you?! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

T'was Utd. In fairness they regained the title the next season with a 10 point margin or something close to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

JPA wrote: »
    What age are you?! :eek:

His username is 2112 so he's definitely from the future. No wonder he can't remember

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

His username is 2112 so he's definitely from the future. No wonder he can't remember

In fairness Gimli can't remember a lot of stuff. Think it's to do with the drink!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Steyr 556 wrote: »

T'was Utd. In fairness they regained the title the next season with a 10 point margin or something close to it.

Great video, love seeing James Milner winning a league title.

It wasn't Liverpool, it was Manchester United.

Manchester City were 1-2 down, the needed to win 3-2. They equalised making it 2-2 but it was still 2-2 going in to the 94th minute & Manchester United had already gotten the win they needed V Sunderland (0-1 it finished) & they were all ready to celebrate winning the league.

What happened next is history & I won't do it justice for you by typing it out so I'll leave you with quoting the famous commentary & leaving you with the footage of what exactly happened.

Balotelli...

AAAAAGGGGGUUUUUEEEEERRRRROOOOO!!!!! I swear you'll never see anything like this ever again.

So watch it! Drink it in!!

https://twitter.com/ManCityzenscom/status/1155506700926853120?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

DVDM93 wrote: »
    It wasn't Liverpool, it was Manchester United.

Manchester City were 1-2 down, the needed to win 3-2. They equalised making it 2-2 but it was still 2-2 going in to the 94th minute & Manchester United had already gotten the win they needed V Sunderland (0-1 it finished) & they were all ready to celebrate winning the league.

What happened next is history & I won't do it justice for you by typing it out so I'll leave you with quoting the famous commentary & leaving you with the footage of what exactly happened.

Balotelli...

AAAAAGGGGGUUUUUEEEEERRRRROOOOO!!!!! I swear you'll never see anything like this ever again.

So watch it! Drink it in!!

1) I still like that Utd blue jersey
    2) That was such a killer. I was watching that match with my brother in law who is a lifelong Utd fan he was gutted. Was a unique experience from the 'neutral' POV though.
    3) IF - and i say if - it had to happen to anyone, im glad it happened to Michael Owen, not that i imagine he gave much of a crap.

a yeah I had a fair idea Utd were second, I genuinely didn't remember City needed two in injury time. It's difficult picturing City as the plucky underdogs.
    That's nearly as bad as 1989, nearly but not quite

Baggly wrote: »
    1) I still like that Utd blue jersey
    2) That was such a killer. I was watching that match with my brother in law who is a lifelong Utd fan he was gutted. Was a unique experience from the 'neutral' POV though.
    3) IF - and i say if - it had to happen to anyone, im glad it happened to Michael Owen, not that i imagine he gave much of a crap.

I was in college at the time so I was working weekends & unfortunately missed it live.

My work colleague/friend was sharing the floor with me that day & the security guard on duty was a die-hard United supporter, I mean die-hard!

Coming towards the end they were in celebration mode naturally enough so I congratulated them & popped upstairs for a p1ss.

I came back downstairs then & the lads were at the computer looking like someone had died.

Obviously they'd seen what happened which probably wasn't too far off for them, I couldn't believe it when they told me what had happened.

• Advertisement

a yeah I had a fair idea Utd were second, I genuinely didn't remember City needed two in injury time. It's difficult picturing City as the plucky underdogs.
    That's nearly as bad as 1989, nearly but not quite

Don't forget Barton got sent off for QPR after 55 minutes then lost his head and went around kicking people when he received the red, it was 1-1 at the time and QPR then took the lead 10 minutes later

QPR needed a win (or Draw) to stay up

TitianGerm wrote: »
    In fairness Gimli can't remember a lot of stuff. Think it's to do with the drink!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

No wasn’t Liverpool, they finished 8th that year...

I was watching city in the pub, it was almost over and I was still saying ‘we haven’t done it yet’ the wife says ‘cmon, relax it’s just over and they need 2 goals’

I eventually said ‘i can’t believe we’re going to win it’

Bang, City get 2 goals and I was as sick as a pig......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Esse85 wrote: »
    To say there's not a hope is just silly rather than controversial.

He has to be in the running based on his longevity, his individual performance, his contribution to the team performance and what they won, the impact he's made at the club.

You compare this to any Man City player ever, and simply David Silva has to be included in the conversation.

What are your criteria for deciding a clubs "best ever player" and then tell us the players that fit that criteria?

My thinking behind it is that I don’t think he’s ever been the best player in the team at any one given time. Aguero, De Bruyne, Sterling all way superior imo

I was in college at the time so I was working weekends & unfortunately missed it live.

My work colleague/friend was sharing the floor with me that day & the security guard on duty was a die-hard United supporter, I mean die-hard!

Coming towards the end they were in celebration mode naturally enough so I congratulated them & popped upstairs for a p1ss.

I came back downstairs then & the lads were at the computer looking like someone had died.

Obviously they'd seen what happened which probably wasn't too far off for them, I couldn't believe it when they told me what had happened.

I decided was not going to watch it so I called over to see my Aul lad but of course he had the City game on and it was the start of second half when I walked in

I'll never forget the two of us jumping around the living room screaming when the winning goal went in ,

Both absolutely delighted to see United had lost it in the final second of the season ,me Liverpool fan and him a life long passionate Leeds fan ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

i worked with a united fan at the time and as he got out of his car united had won and the league was over as far as he was concerned, by the time he got upstairs and logged into his desk City won haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

No, Liverpool finished in 8th that season with 52 points.... was the great Man Utd finished 2nd on goal difference.
    Was actually during a time when United won 5 PL titles out of 7 years...... that's what you call dominating and a great team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

No, Liverpool finished in 8th that season with 52 points.... was the great Man Utd finished 2nd on goal difference.
    Was actually during a time when United won 5 PL titles out of 7 years...... that's what you call dominating and a great team.

you wouldn't be like,yano,talking about the past now would ya :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Fixtures for the 2020/2021 season are released tomorrow morning at 9.00 am.

Does that mean we get a nice new shiny thread?

Also, I presume that the usual permutations such as no intra-top 6 games etc apply to the new fixture list. Because all 4 English teams exited the European competitions during the 'Festival of Football', I don't think that there will be any more than 1 gameweek effected with postponements because of the 30 day rule.

you wouldn't be like,yano,talking about the past now would ya :pac:

Just answering a question..... sure everything before today is the past......

anyhow... learned from the best......

Fitz* wrote: »
    Fixtures for the 2020/2021 season are released tomorrow morning at 9.00 am.

Does that mean we get a nice new shiny thread?

Also, I presume that the usual permutations such as no intra-top 6 games etc apply to the new fixture list. Because all 4 English teams exited the European competitions during the 'Festival of Football', I don't think that there will be any more than 1 gameweek effected with postponements because of the 30 day rule.

Ya I think the two manchester clubs wont be in matchday 1.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's interesting enough to see numbers put to it, but it doesn't really mean much... Pep's not trying to do that. He's spending a lot of money for top level players. He's not trying to improve players, so much as integrate already great players to work together, so it's not terribly surprising that their values tend not to rise.

What it does mean, is the bar for success is that bit higher. Anything other than winning and winning and winning is effectively falling short as they're working with an array of finished products in every position that other clubs don't have access to, rather than players you need to mould. Though in fairness, I'd say he has improved Sterling in particular, and also KDB from already excellent players to the next level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I don't understand the stat. Perhaps it's the pints. Is there a decimal missing?

But what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I don't understand the stat. Perhaps it's the pints. Is there a decimal missing?

But what?

What do you not understand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

noodler wrote: »

Who is measuring the referenced value?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

CSF wrote: »
    Who is measuring the referenced value?

Presumably Transfermarkt or one of them yokes.

Never a fan of those sorts of valuations - you can't really attribute value until someone pays it.

Still though, it's not like they're figures that are being used for any more than a rough guide to making a point, and in that sense, they do tell the story they're being used to tell. Even if someone disagrees with the specific figures a bit one way or the other, it's hard to argue with the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

noodler wrote:

The fact there's random numbers on a tweet from a random Twitter person

No context
    No support

I mean I could tweet that b and I wouldn't be wrong but I also wouldn't be right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

brinty wrote: »
    The fact there's random numbers on a tweet from a random Twitter person

No context
    No support

I mean I could tweet that b and I wouldn't be wrong but I also wouldn't be right

It's fairly clearly laid out on the tweet thread.

You hardly expect an explanation in a single tweet with 144 characters or whatever it is.

noodler wrote: »
    It's fairly clearly laid out on the tweet thread.

You hardly expect an explanation in a single tweet with 144 characters or whatever it is.

More misinformation, a tweet can be up to 280 characters long, has been since 2018.

I genuinely believe we could fight about anything :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Pep isn't a "value added" manager and he has never needed to be, he buys at the top end at mega-clubs and is judged on what they win, not what they can be sold for.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement