Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2023/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

hots wrote: »
    He has less tackles won than Muller going by fbref, it's a funny stat when you're looking at a barca/bayern-esque team. I think he's a good signing for pool, but only because they'll have him backed up by fabinho and henderson.

He'd walk into any team int he world though.

I'd love him in CM with Kovacic and Kante.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

GavRedKing wrote: »
    He'd walk into any team int he world though.

I'd love him in CM with Kovacic and Kante.

He's a light Kovacic for me, in an already light midfield. Wouldn't get into the united midfield (over pogba/bruno, can't play the holding role), wouldn't get into city's... anyone gets into arsenal/spurs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

He's a light Kovacic for me, in an already light midfield. Wouldn't get into the united midfield (over pogba/bruno, can't play the holding role), wouldn't get into city's... anyone gets into arsenal/spurs :D

He was the holding midfielder for a treble winning team last season. Kovacic light...
    He'd get into any team. That's way off.

Hes exactly what City need now IMO.

Fernandinho is too old and Rodrigo, while being a good player is not at Thiagos level.

Id say Alcantra is very like Kovacic but hes better at everything he does, not by much in some regards, but hes better.

Kovacic has a few years on Thiago though and I'm delighted to have him at the club, think Real dropped the ball on that one big time.

Edit : Dont get me started on Utd either ffs. :pac:

He was the holding midfielder for a treble winning team last season. Kovacic light...
    He'd get into any team. That's way off.

He was a "holding midfielder" with two imposing/defensive players beside him in a team dominating the league; which is why I said he'll do well in a Liverpool team set up to carry him in the same way (assuming Henderson and Fabinho beside him).

I don't think he's poor or anything, good addition to the team who'll push the likes of keita and wijnaldum to try and earn a spot against him, but I don't see him as elite by any means.

• Advertisement

Hes exactly what City need now IMO.

Fernandinho is too old and Rodrigo, while being a good player is not at Thiagos level.

Id say Alcantra is very like Kovacic but hes better at everything he does, not by much in some regards, but hes better.

Kovacic has a few years on Thiago though and I'm delighted to have him at the club, think Real dropped the ball on that one big time.

Edit : Dont get me started on Utd either ffs. :pac:

Interesting, I couldn't see him as able to replace Fernandino at all (he needs replacing for sure). Beside one of those he'd do well, but no way could you have him as effectively your only defensive player outside the back 4 (basically how city set up).

We've Kovacic so I'm not overly bothered either which way. :pac:

As long as we Pulisic and Zieych back fit, we'll be laughing.

Silva, Chilwell, Zieych, Pulisic all out of the Pool game.

As long as that donkey RLC doesnt start on the wing, I'll be happy enough.

Kepa
    Azp Zouma Christensen
    James Kante Kovacic Alonso
    Mount Werner Havertz

Thats what I'd go for anyway

With all the injuries im far less confident of getting anything from the game.

I'd take a draw anyway especially given how bad our back line continues to be with Kepa in it.

Silva, Chilwell, Zieych, Pulisic all out of the Pool game.

As long as that donkey RLC doesnt start on the wing, I'll be happy enough.

Kepa
    Azp Zouma Christensen
    James Kante Kovacic Alonso
    Mount Werner Havertz

Thats what I'd go for anyway

I'd expect either that or maybe the same as last week but Kova for Jorginho and Giroud for RLC. RLC played higher than Werner all night (out of laziness) anyway, might as well keep them occupied.

• Advertisement

I'd expect either that or maybe the same as last week but Kova for Jorginho and Giroud for RLC. RLC played higher than Werner all night (out of laziness) anyway, might as well keep them occupied.

Havertz and Werner wide with Giroud through the middle could work alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

We're going to win 5-4 today, aren't we?!
    Hon Chelsea!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

Panthro wrote: »
    We're going to win 5-4 today, aren't we?!
    Hon Chelsea!
    today maybe :D:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

God dang it Im a day ahead of myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

No wingers again

Not a fan of Jorginho against Liverpool, pretty much any of their attacking players running against him will be a recipe for disaster

Would have preferred Mount in midfield in place of Jorginho and Giroud up top with Werner on the left wing

Hopefully we can work something but I wouldn't be confident, not sure if Fabinho at CB makes them weaker or what it'll do tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

James, goal aside, didn't inspire last week, I'd still have Dave in at right back with such iffy centre backs/keeper.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

No RLC on bench not surprised mind you

No RLC on bench not surprised mind you

No he was absolutely sh*te. Tbh, I don't think he's ever particularly impressed in a Chelsea shirt, I'd sell him. And if Bayern Munich still want CHO sell him too.

Bah humbug.

In other news, can't decide if that warm up shirt is an abomination or quite nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Love seeing Kovacic win the ball, instinctively just wants to go forward. Great outlet especially in this type of game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Christensen is a joke of a player, should never play for the club again. Just awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Crazy stuff from Christensen.
    Don’t think he can have any complaints

Should have played the fifty percent fit Brazilian, he'd have done a better job.

Long and painful second half beckons, not that that first half wasn't anyway (from both teams).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Disaster. He should never get caught like that. And the takedown, cobra Kai style. Kepa might have made it but for a slight hesitancy. What's the best change now?

Sam Hain wrote: »
    Disaster. He should never get caught like that. And the takedown, cobra Kai style. Kepa might have made it but for a slight hesitancy. What's the best change now?

Switch beer for spirits.

I think any of our centre backs would landed in the same position as Christensen

Would they go for a rugby tackle though, im not sure

Cant see a good end to this game for us, although Havertz was anonymous again so we’ll not be down anything in defense so maybe could hold out or catch them on the break

Can we sign Mendy in time for the final 30 mins?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Hope last of kepa in goal. What happened him as started well but keeps going downhill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭kalych

Kepa needs to be benched. We were very narrow today and every time we tried to play the ball from behind my heart was sinking. So many passes close to being intercepted or were intercepted. Bad tactical call from Lamps today. Hopefully he learns from this.

Lots of issues with that game.

Mainly, how does Kepa continue at Chelsea? The lad looks broken and devoid of any confidence and the back line has 0 trust in him. Theres never a good time to make a f**k up of that stature but on the week that Chelsea are supposedly finalising the deal for Mendy,it couldnt have happened at a worse time.

Christensen, a brain fart. Go in at 0-0 at HT and I think we've done well, up until that point, he had been playing okay too but it must go back to the confidence issue in Kepa, Christensen clearly doesnt trust his GK to be able to sweep up that situation and makes a stupid decision, even if he attempted to slide tackle Mane and get his toe to the ball, he would have been only yellow carded for making a genuine attempt at playing the ball.

The penalty, that technique is brilliant when it works but if a GK waits and you dont find the corner, given theres little power generated, you will miss. Werner has to be on penalties from now on anyway as I'm assuming once everyone is fit, Jorginho doesnt play.

Another major issue, or 3 of them were :

Havertz, a play maker, playing as a CF.

Werner, a CF, playing as a LW.

Mount, a CM, playing as a RW.

Lampard got it horribly, horribly wrong in setting the side up. You cant rely on your FBs to offer width against one of the most potent attacking sides in Europe, James and Alonso were pinned in far too often and the guys in front of them arent wingers.

Odoi must be wondering what he has to do to get a game ahead of CMs on the wing. If I was him I'd be looking for away out.

The only consolation is we were missing 4 starters but the errors for the Pool goals aside, I think we done okay, we were 2nd best throughout for the majority of the game but you cant gift Pool a 2nd goal like Kepa and you cant play them for 45 mins with only 10 mins, stupid istakes.

Chilwell, Silva, Zieych and Pulisic in the starting XI and we should hopefully look a bit better, all round.

Oh and Mendy, because Kepa is done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

missing mendy , silva , chilwell , pulisic , Zieych into a first 11 is a big miss at this part of the season, christensen having a brain fart and kepa looking finished , the postives were zouma , tomori and werner

onwards & upwards

Ya, its only the 2nd game and while we were 2nd based, we werent exactly battered.

We lost last year to Utd 4-0 and the season turned out okay.

Make a few changes to the XI this Wednesday for the Barnsley game and ease a few people back.

Big Willy
    Azp Tomori Rudiger Emerson
    Gilmour Kovacic
    Mount Havertz Odoi
    Giroud

Gilmour is still injured I believe, it was early July he was ruled out for 3-4 months and havent heard about him since

Id like Silva to get a half hour at the end to start getting him up speed, and while Willy is more than likely better than Kepa I’d prefer Mendy if he’s signed in time, same as Silva get him used to the team

Havertz should start as well cause he’s been off the boil, a goal against Barnsley could get him going

Gilmour is still injured I believe, it was early July he was ruled out for 3-4 months and havent heard about him since

Id like Silva to get a half hour at the end to start getting him up speed, and while Willy is more than likely better than Kepa I’d prefer Mendy if he’s signed in time, same as Silva get him used to the team

Havertz should start as well cause he’s been off the boil, a goal against Barnsley could get him going

I forgot about Gilmours injury TBH. If thats the case it could well be Barkley in CM on Wednesday.

I think if Mendy is signed today or tomorrow before lunch, he could play on Wednesday, i think theres something about at least being signed 24 hr prior to the game for registration purposes.

In all likely hood though, even if he is signed, thats not going to happen. It'll be Willy starting.

I'd agree on Silva but wouldnt be too pushed about risking him either, we've bigger fish to fry.

If Havertz does play it has to be as a #10, hes wasted anywhere else.

Top 4 is the still goal this year but a bit of silverwear would be ideal, losing the cup final to arsenal should serve as a reminder that ya, we've been poor but theres still a decent side there and we've added a bit to it but without any pre-season we and every other side will be struggling for form early doors.

We've another round of internationals too coming up so that'll hurt all the big sides again.

• Advertisement

Thiago Silva is doing the press conference tolday.

Theres also an interview done with the club here

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2020/09/21/thiago-silva-exclusive-interview--on-why-he-chose-chelsea--his-h?utm_source=tw&utm_medium=orgsoc&utm_campaign=none
    Although Thiago Silva has yet to make his Chelsea debut following his arrival from Paris Saint-Germain last month, the Brazilian has been acclimatising to life at Cobham and is clearly eager to get started. Following a period of rest after his involvement in the Champions League final, the defender has been in London for the past couple of weeks and recently joined training with his new team-mates and boss Frank Lampard.

Now, he has his sights set on forcing his way into a Blues defence with plenty of competition for places. Here, in an exclusive interview with the official Chelsea website, we get the first words from our new number six...

Thiago Silva, welcome to Chelsea! What was it that attracted you to the club?

First and foremost, I came because Chelsea is an amazing team and one of the biggest clubs in the world. It helps when you’re welcomed so warmly, particularly by a coach who played until relatively recently, because in football there are very strong preconceptions regarding the age of players. But I know about his experience when he first arrived at Manchester City, theoretically at the end of his career. He endured the same sort of thing as I’ve gone through.

So even from the outside, without knowing me personally, he knows how hard I work to remain at the highest level. The confidence that he showed in me - that was all it took. For me, that confidence was the single most important factor. To hear that he believed in me, that he thought that I could come here and make a positive contribution. With our young group, as well as some more experienced players like our captain [Cesar] Azpilicueta, we’ve got all it takes for a great season.

You can be sure that I’ll do everything I can to repay that confidence out on the pitch. We’ve signed some top players and we’ve got a squad capable of putting together a great season so that’s what we’re going to try and do.

How much are you looking forward to the season ahead with Chelsea, and to playing in the Premier League for the first time?

I really can’t wait. I have to try and hold it back but it’s almost uncontrollable because this is a unique opportunity for me. Normally, at 35 or 36 years of age, it’s the time when players leave the Premier League but I’m doing things the other way around - I’m only just starting.

The way I see it, it’s the toughest league in the world, with six or seven big teams genuinely fighting for the title so the motivation is massive. I’m hugely impatient to get going but things will happen in their own time and there’s no doubt I’ll be totally prepared when the time comes.

At 36, you've achieved so much in the game so what still motivates you?

What motivates me, day by day, is the hunger to win. To win everything within my reach. Coming to the Premier League, my main goal is to win the league title and I’m certain that we’ll be fighting for that every step of the way. The team is really strong, we’ve got a great coach and I’ve come here to contribute in whatever way I can to ensure that we get as close as possible to achieving those aims. That’s what motivates me: stepping out onto the pitch, and then winning, winning, and winning some more. I don’t think about anything else.

As I’ve said before, the prospect of playing at the next World Cup is another thing that really drives me. I’ll be more or less 38 years old by the time of the next World Cup and I’m hugely motivated to be in good shape for it.

The work that I’m putting in to make this a reality already started a while back and now Chelsea have given me a great opportunity to continue playing at the highest level. What Chelsea represents to me is a source of great happiness and motivation to be a part of a new project, a new family and I hope that this will be a very special year together.

You joined PSG at the start of a new era for that club. Does it feel like something similar is happening at Chelsea?

No, I wouldn’t say it’s similar. When I arrived at PSG, the club had just been taken over by the Qataris. They were going through an unprecedented phase of reconstruction. That was the very beginning of it all - they were building things that PSG had never experienced as a club and I was really proud to be a part of that project, which led to the club being recognised all around the world and to a Champions League final particularly because I was a part of it right from the start.

But things are different here. Chelsea have already won a Champions League final, the project has been in place for a while now. The club has gone a few years without spending big money, without regenerating the squad, but now we’re starting again on a new journey with some big signings. I hope that this reboot will bring the same success as the club has enjoyed in the past. I hope to be able to play my part out on the pitch, and I hope that this reboot proves to be just as successful as the project I helped experience at PSG.

What are your memories of playing against Chelsea?

They were huge games, with great players on both sides: [Didier] Drogba, with his physical strength; Diego [Costa], who’s always a complete nightmare to play against! They were tough matches, both over here and in Paris. I think that PSG had the better of those matches but it could easily have gone the other way because games at the highest level between two great teams always come down to the smallest details.

On those occasions, I think that PSG just about came out on top. When I think about them now, the incident that comes to mind is the penalty I gave away for handball. I was jumping with [Kurt] Zouma and my arm bounced off his shoulder and struck the ball. Also, the goal that I scored to make it 2-2 which sealed qualification for us in England, which was extremely important for me and PSG at that time.

But that’s all changed now - I’m with Chelsea and I’m going to do everything to ensure we give the best possible account of ourselves and come as close as possible to achieving the aims that we’ve set for the season.

There are strong Brazilian traditions at Chelsea. Can you tell us about playing with some of our former Brazilians such as Alex, David Luiz, Willian, Oscar and Ramires for both club and country?

They’re all top, top players. But then, Chelsea always look for players who can perform at the very highest level. The experience of having played alongside Ramires, David Luiz, Oscar, Willian, they’re incredible experiences. There’s still the opportunity to play together with Brazil and I hope that we get that chance again soon. But they’re the sort of experiences that stay with you for life because they’re not just great players but also great people away from the pitch and they’re friendships that will last a lifetime.

Are Chelsea a big club in Brazil?

Not just in Brazil, but all over the world. Chelsea has a very strong brand. In Brazil, Chelsea is considered one of the best teams in England, up there with Liverpool, Man City, Man United and so on. There are a few teams that carry a certain weight and Chelsea is among them.

I’m really happy to be a part of this project and I hope that by coming here I’ll help to raise the profile of Chelsea even further in Brazil, by bringing my own fans and the fans of Fluminense, where I’m an idol. I hope that they all start supporting Chelsea now too. And I hope that we achieve our goals and bring joy to our fans out in Brazil too.

Lampard has confirmed Mendy is having a medical as we speak.

Lampard: “Ben Chilwell is in the squad tomorrow. Christian Pulisic and Hakim Ziyech are getting closer”

Lampard says Thiago Silva is in the squad tomorrow: "I am not sure if that's a birthday present or not... but he is fit!

On Mendy being required to quarantine, Frank Lampard: “All being well and the tests are negative, Mendy is ready to play” #CFC

Lampard is in favour of playing a strong side tomorrow night to get some match sharpness/fitness built up.

• Advertisement

Lampard is in favour of playing a strong side tomorrow night to get some match sharpness/fitness built up.

Dead right, we've been ok but not good yet. Get Chilwell, CHO, RLC, Tammy some minutes but still keep it strong.

A bit of momentum heading into the weekend would be nice as a bounce back from Liverpool

With Mendy not official yet he surely won't play, so does Willy get a chance? Will he be 2nd choice moving forward? Part of me hopes so, send Kepa to whoever will take him on loan in Spain

The likes of Rudiger, Tammy, CHO, RLC should be hungry to make an impression and you'd expect them to do it against Barnsley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

A bit of momentum heading into the weekend would be nice as a bounce back from Liverpool

With Mendy not official yet he surely won't play, so does Willy get a chance? Will he be 2nd choice moving forward? Part of me hopes so, send Kepa to whoever will take him on loan in Spain

The likes of Rudiger, Tammy, CHO, RLC should be hungry to make an impression and you'd expect them to do it against Barnsley

Frank has already said that willy will play tomorrow which was a decision that was made before the Liverpool game son not a reaction to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Anyone seen much of Mendy? Can’t be worse than Kepa anyway. :o

Only first heard of him when we were linked

I play enough Football Manager that I'd have heard of a lot of players but hadn't a notion about this fella

My only expectation is him to be better than the last few months of Kepa, I'm not expecting the 2nd coming of Petr Cech but Mendy could be decent for a year or two before an elite option comes on the market if he doesn't develop into one himself

I think the worst thing with Kepa is surely his price tag.

We got bent over a barrel with the fee, considering we lost one of the top 5 GKs in the world for half the price of Kepa, it does sting a bit.

WE're never, ever recouping that fee for Kepa, at best we'll get 35-40m for him as I expect he'll be gone next summer, either on loan with an option to buy or completely out the door, either which way, I think its time to say goodbye.

Hes not performed anywhere near a 70m GK, his first season was promising, he had a few hiccups but was largely good, last year he dropped off massively and so far this year, that Pool goal is the final nail in the coffin for me.

Its not his fault we panicked and splashed out on him but whoever decided it was a good idea to sell Tbo for 35m and let Bulka go to PSG as well as spending 70m on Kepa, needs a clip around the ear.

Bulka playyed nearly all the pre season games the summer we signed Kepa and he looked very good, I'm confident if we had kept Bulka he'd be nowhere near as poor as Kepa.

Even if Kepa was a moderate success, the fact Madrid nearly signed him for €17m instead of Courtois in the January window only for us to have to pay €80m 6 months later will always be a stinger for me

As he is currently not a hope he gets 35-40m on the market, he’d need a good loan for a year before we could get close to that

Then there’s also his long term deal as well which will bite us in one way or another until it ends

Even if Kepa was a moderate success, the fact Madrid nearly signed him for €17m instead of Courtois in the January window only for us to have to pay €80m 6 months later will always be a stinger for me

As he is currently not a hope he gets 35-40m on the market, he’d need a good loan for a year before we could get close to that

Then there’s also his long term deal as well which will bite us in one way or another until it ends

He signed a contract extension after the Madrid interest which plumped a buy out clause into his deal and with us looking for a GK a few days before the start of the season, we panicked, badly.

It's one of the few bad buys we haven't/won't been able to magic a big transfer fee at the other end to make up for it.

A loan now is definitely the best option, a full season away, maybe two and either demand a respectable transfer fee at some point or give us a difficult decision to make vs Mendy maybe. I'm fully sure there's a good keeper in there, he just needs to find it away from us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I think the worst thing with Kepa is surely his price tag.

We got bent over a barrel with the fee, considering we lost one of the top 5 GKs in the world for half the price of Kepa, it does sting a bit.

WE're never, ever recouping that fee for Kepa, at best we'll get 35-40m for him as I expect he'll be gone next summer, either on loan with an option to buy or completely out the door, either which way, I think its time to say goodbye.

Hes not performed anywhere near a 70m GK, his first season was promising, he had a few hiccups but was largely good, last year he dropped off massively and so far this year, that Pool goal is the final nail in the coffin for me.

Its not his fault we panicked and splashed out on him but whoever decided it was a good idea to sell Tbo for 35m and let Bulka go to PSG as well as spending 70m on Kepa, needs a clip around the ear.

Bulka playyed nearly all the pre season games the summer we signed Kepa and he looked very good, I'm confident if we had kept Bulka he'd be nowhere near as poor as Kepa.

We're bent over a barrel because of Bilbao's recruitment of only basque players, like a suped up version of the price inflation for HG rule on English players

• Advertisement
Advertisement