Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2023/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

hots wrote: »
    It's one of the few bad buys we haven't/won't been able to magic a big transfer fee at the other end to make up for it.

A loan now is definitely the best option, a full season away, maybe two and either demand a respectable transfer fee at some point or give us a difficult decision to make vs Mendy maybe. I'm fully sure there's a good keeper in there, he just needs to find it away from us.
    duploelabs wrote: »
    We're bent over a barrel because of Bilbao's recruitment of only basque players, like a suped up version of the price inflation for HG rule on English players

Ya, he does need a loan, I'd if hes not playing many games between now and January, he might look for away out on loan with the Euros coming up.

Thats going on the assumption that Mendy wont be any worse, imagine that scenario and Willy is the starting GK. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Ya, he does need a loan, I'd if hes not playing many games between now and January, he might look for away out on loan with the Euros coming up.

Thats going on the assumption that Mendy wont be any worse, imagine that scenario and Willy is the starting GK. :pac:

I'd be surprised if he's not out on loan by the end of next week, no point at all in paying his wages to sit on the bench, or creating more controversy by having him and mendy battle it out.

I don't think Mendy is the saviour or anything but statistically if he just stand still in the nets or does a few star jumps he should be about as good as kepa has been lately.

I dont think we'll find someone willing to pay his wages.

Hes meant to be on £150k a week, I dont think any club would look at his performances the last 12 months or so and think its good value.

Unless we got a good loan fee and a club was willing to pay at least 50% of his wages, I dont think he'll be leaving, unfortunately for everyone involved.

I think he could do a better job in La Liga away from the PL media glare.

I think he could do a better job in La Liga away from the PL media glare.

Definitely, and with a different style of play in front of him too.

Definitely, and with a different style of play in front of him too.

Not many La Liga sides could afford him though and of the 3 or 4 that could, they're fairly well stocked for GKS, thats the big issue. :o

I think he'll stay he'll January, next summer at the latest and then maybe look for a move.

Best case scenario, we send him and Alonso out together, a 2 for 1 if you will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I like to look at our signings from Leicester for midfielders as ~60m for Kante and Drinkwater, cause 55m for Kante and 5m for Drinkwater are fair deals as opposed to the originals

Wonder can we ever sign anyone from Bilbao to make up for 80m wasted on Kepa, would want to be one hell of a deal :pac:

I like to look at our signings from Leicester for midfielders as ~60m for Kante and Drinkwater, cause 55m for Kante and 5m for Drinkwater are fair deals as opposed to the originals

Wonder can we ever sign anyone from Bilbao to make up for 80m wasted on Kepa, would want to be one hell of a deal :pac:

They can have him back for 40m, I'd drive him to Bilbao myself, free of charge. :pac:

They can have him back for 40m, I'd drive him to Bilbao myself, free of charge. :pac:

After the 2nd Mane goal I’d have given him a hard enough kick up the hole to send him to Bilbao

Then i remembered i had Mane in fantasy, so the kick would probably only land him in the north of France

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Advertisement

I actually hope Odoi is right wing and Mount is left wing

Need to start seeing what Havertz can do from the middle, he wont be right wing long term so need to put him in his real spot soon

RLC not even on the bench, hope he’s picked up a niggle somewhere cause thats a serious vote of no confidence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭kalych

CHO is clearly rusty still. Some good closing down from Silva, but the defense is still looking very soft.

I hope he doesn't get sent on loan, he's still plenty young and can fight for his place this season

Defenders like Ampadu I understand sending on loan since defenders can't really impress in one off appearances, but a winger can if he's on it

Havertz off the mark is a good one at least, and Thiago Silva hasn't been the magic touch in defense yet

One thing I'll tell you for certain: Big Willy is miles ahead of Kepa.

Nice game for Havertz to silence the doubters for a few games.

• Advertisement

I guess havertz is a 10 ��

Good win, still dodgy at the back but at least Willy made a few saves.

Was the perfect game for Havertz to get a goal or 3.

No doubt if he didnt score, he was a flop and if he did perform, "it was only Barnsley" so at least he managed to do the latter.

It should have been about 10 but Barnsley deserved a goal or two themselves. On to what I'm presuming is Spurs in the next round, I cant see them replaying the Orient game and would expect Spurs to get a bye into the next round.

Good news.

Although I dont know will Frank throw him into the deep end against WBA.

I wouldnt be surprised if Willy started that game and Mendy played from now on.

Eiq5k6AWAAEdE-0?format=png&name=small
    Chelsea still have one more non-HG spot available after Mendy's arrival because Batshuayi went out on loan. They'll need that for Havertz in the CL atm but, with other non-HGs set to leave, there's still flexibility.

Current squad as it stands, I'd expect Rudiger to be gone so Havertz and one other could be in the Non-HG slot for the Champions League.

I wonder will Rice be the last piece of the puzzle this summer, I honestly rate him about as highly as Eric Dier and thats not a good thing at all but if Lampard wants him, f**k it, sign him up.

• Advertisement

Eiq5k6AWAAEdE-0?format=png&name=small

Current squad as it stands, I'd expect Rudiger to be gone so Havertz and one other could be in the Non-HG slot for the Champions League.

I wonder will Rice be the last piece of the puzzle this summer, I honestly rate him about as highly as Eric Dier and thats not a good thing at all but if Lampard wants him, f**k it, sign him up.

I'd still expect Emerson to go too, despite his jaunt as a rw last night. Leaves the squad in a decent shape, havertz moves to the left column next year so any purchases next summer will be tight enough in terms of fitting them into the registration.

I'd still expect Emerson to go too, despite his jaunt as a rw last night. Leaves the squad in a decent shape, havertz moves to the left column next year so any purchases next summer will be tight enough in terms of fitting them into the registration.

I dont think we'll be adding much next summer, maybe a CB as Silva will be gone.

It could well be Emerson or Alonso out before the window closes, I think thats about 10-12 days time or something.

Rudiger looks certain to leave, more so than anyone else.

Kepa could go in January if hes not getting a game.

Id say in windows to come we’ll be more likely to make a couple of important but expensive deals to take us to the next level, our Van Dijk and Alisson if you will

This mad summer is fixing a couple of bad ones and a blank one too

If Mendy isnt up to speed for Saturday I really hope its Willy, Kepa’s had enough chances and let us down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Barkley to join Villa. Maybe.
    What say you? Any loss to this Chelsea squad?

Not really, hasn't kicked on at Chelsea at all. Others are younger and better, and also have a higher ceiling. Despite Barkley being good off the bench and RLC poor from the start in the first game of the season, long term I'd much prefer RLC around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I think RLC needs a loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Barkley is not a bad player certainly inconsistent but not bad, his work ethic is better than RLC's that's for sure. Is a good squad player in my mind.

If he does join Villa they need to keep him away from penalties :eek:

kev1.3s wrote: »

I'd prefer him to fight for his place this season.

He's 25 in January, if he isn't able to kick on this season I'd actually then look to move him on permanently

Another loan isn't going to prove a lot for him, he's gone on a successful loan and came back earning his place under Sarri, he'll get lost in the shuffle under Lampard if he goes out on loan

JPA wrote: »
    Barkley to join Villa. Maybe.
    What say you? Any loss to this Chelsea squad?

I would be quite surprised, RLC far more likely I would say. Frank seems to like Barkley and he;s a handy english body to have in the squad who seems to be happy to be a backup and can cover a couple of different roles ok.

Agreed, he needs games, we can't afford to watch him getting up to pace in maybe a max 10 appearances he might get with us.

• Advertisement

RLC is a better player but hes not showed any real consistency in his performances and that injury 2 years back was a killer for him it seems.

If I was picking, I'd prefer RLC but Barkley is more than likely going to put in a shift but RLC at Palace played a few positions and played well enough all things being told, apparently.

RLC is a better player but hes not showed any real consistency in his performances and that injury 2 years back was a killer for him it seems.

If I was picking, I'd prefer RLC but Barkley is more than likely going to put in a shift but RLC at Palace played a few positions and played well enough all things being told, apparently.

Personally I have very little faith in RLC turning into a better player, at either of their best that we've seen so far Barkley would be head and shoulders above, with Barkley's floor being trying hard with a single digit IQ and RLC's floor being the same but with the effort to match the intelligence. If you think of them purely as a squad player I'd have a lot more confidence bringing barkley on for 20 mins every game to cover for any of the midfield spots and do fine, vs RLC who can only be brought into one of the attacking spots and may not influence the game at all.

I've a similar issue with CHO but at least he's got moments of magic in him.

CHO is wasted on the right, he needs to be out wide left cutting in.

He'll be just another quick winger out wide right where as on the left he can do far more damage, IMO.

Mendy training tomorrow with the first team but I'd honetly be shocked if Caballero doesnt start on Saturday.

Cech is back training the GKs or keeping himself fit.

https://twitter.com/absolutechelsea/status/1309093377783328772?s=21

From the presser today

Lampard says Edouard Mendy won't start tomorrow having only arrived yesterday and not trained much this week. #WBACHE

Lampard says at the moment all our players remain ours, and there is no current information on any of them leaving. The same can be said for possible incomings, with Lampard refusing to comment on rumours. #WBACHE

Lampard expresses a wish for clubs lower down the football pyramid to get the support they need to make sure they are safe in these difficult times, and grassroots football in this country remains alive and kicking. #WBACHE

Lampard says the understanding between Abraham and Havertz on Wednesday gives him a 'nice problem'. He makes a point of bringing up Giroud's name, too, and he says he will need them all this season. #WBACHE

Lampard reports Pulisic and Ziyech remain out for tomorrow's game, but the good news is they have started training with the group. He hopes to have them available in the 'next week or two'. #WBACHE

Lampard says Thiago Silva and Ben Chilwell are fit enough to start tomorrow, but the boss has to take into account the busy schedule with the games coming thick and fast, with us playing next Tuesday and Saturday, and then an international break. #WBACHE

Lampard finishes by saying you need to manage Christian Pulisic carefully so you don't overcook him and leave him susceptible to injury, especially with his explosiveness. He can't wait to have him back soon.

That's all from the boss, more later. #WBACHE

Main things are :

Pulisic, Zirych out
    Mendy wont play, likely to be Willy
    Rudiger, Jorginho rumours shot down......for now.
    No comment on Rice
    Silva and Chilwell can start tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Werner to get his first goal today. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Tammy deserves his start but why the fuçk it christensen starting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

is red card not 2 match ban ??? can someone explain please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭peter4918

This is shocking stuff to watch. I like Lampard and want him to do well as manager but with a trigger happy owner if he keeps this up, he’ll be gone before Halloween.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

hard to fall any lower

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Carpentry wrote: »
    is red card not 2 match ban ??? can someone explain please

One match, I'm guessing served in midweek.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

shocking and totally deserved at the same time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Tammy is not and never will be a clinical striker needs about 5 chances to score. Embarrassing performance all round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Glass half full opinion (for a change), they'd have lost that last season, and it was a great comeback.

Hopefully Silva has mistakes out of his system now. Alonso needs to move on, I'd sooner see Dave on the wrong side if Chilwell is out.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭peter4918

Glass half full opinion (for a change), they'd have lost that last season, and it was a great comeback.

Hopefully Silva has mistakes out of his system now. Alonso needs to move on, I'd sooner see Dave on the wrong side if Chilwell is out.

Agreed. For me Alonso and Christensen have to go. Alonso can be good sometimes going forward and will bang in the odd free kick and Christensen every game is a disaster waiting to happen and has happened. Chilwell will tighten up that side and I’d pair Tomori with Silva and see how it goes, he could learn a lot from Silva like Terry did with Desailly. Also, need to be more clinical up front but I do think that will come over the next few weeks.

Academy boys to the rescue today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

peter4918 wrote: »
    Agreed. For me Alonso and Christensen have to go. Alonso can be good sometimes going forward and will bang in the odd free kick and Christensen every game is a disaster waiting to happen and has happened. Chilwell will tighten up that side and I’d pair Tomori with Silva and see how it goes, he could learn a lot from Silva like Terry did with Desailly. Also, need to be more clinical up front but I do think that will come over the next few weeks.

Academy boys to the rescue today!

Yeah, CHO proved me wrong today, looked good.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

This season ain't going to be boring

• Advertisement
Advertisement