Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2023/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Spurs threw away 3 nil lead. Maybe a low points champions this year. Hopefully get mendy back or bench kepa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Huge game tonight.

Most difficult home CL group game out of the way first so hopefully we get a win.

If Mendy isnt fit, I'd start Caballero, 0 confidence in anything Kepa does.

Mendy (Caballero)

James Silva Zouma Chilwell

Kante Kovacic (if fit)

Zieych Havertz Pulisic

Werner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

High scoring draw again I’d predict. Sevilla should get a lot of joy against us.

Johner wrote: »
    High scoring draw again I’d predict. Sevilla should get a lot of joy against us.

They lost to Granada on Saturday 1 - 0 was meant to be a meagre affair.

I'm not worried about them at all, I'm more worried about us losing the plot as usual, happens against every side, no matter who they are.

If we stay switched on, we should win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

7pm virgin 2 tonight.. Ktbffh.. Let's smash em

I'd take a 1-0......

Not that we'll keep a clean sheet.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,847 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I'd take a 1-0......

Not that we'll keep a clean sheet.

:pac:

If mendy is mended then we will

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

Not 8pm ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

No its so the fans can get home early :):)

I think kick off is 20:00 coverage 19:00

So according to the media (well some Italian yoke at least) Roman is casting the glad eye at Max Allegri to replace Lampard.

He had a free ride last season but our defence is a joke so whilst I would say he is safe for the time being not getting to the knockout stages of the CL might do for him.

So no pressure tonight then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

So according to the media (well some Italian yoke at least) Roman is casting the glad eye at Max Allegri to replace Lampard.

He had a free ride last season but our defence is a joke so whilst I would say he is safe for the time being not getting to the knockout stages of the CL might do for him.

So no pressure tonight then.

I'd guess the original deal he did allows him at two full seasons. So I'd say hes there until end of season. Plenty time to shore up the defence and if the forwards click it may not matter as much. But as pointed out, right now its not looking like he has ability to sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

We have a clean sheet. A step in the right direction.

• Advertisement

Very even game, lacking a lot of quality from both sides.

I'll never understand playing Mount as a LW though when you've Pulisic starting on the RW.

Its a kin to playing Willian LW and Hazard RW.

Not many stand outs, maybe James or Chilwell but at least we didnt lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I'll never understand playing Mount as a LW though when you've Pulisic starting on the RW.

I'd have preferred Mount in midfield alongside Kante, Jorginho gets caught out so often because of his lack of pace, he has his qualities but I'm not sure they outweigh the drawbacks atm

Mount hasn't played there yet in a 2 but I'd prefer to give that a go than sacrificing Pulisic on the left wing, I wouldn't like to be benching one of Ziyech or Pulisic long term since they have to play right wing with Mount on the left

I'd have preferred Mount in midfield alongside Kante, Jorginho gets caught out so often because of his lack of pace, he has his qualities but I'm not sure they outweigh the drawbacks atm

Mount hasn't played there yet in a 2 but I'd prefer to give that a go than sacrificing Pulisic on the left wing, I wouldn't like to be benching one of Ziyech or Pulisic long term since they have to play right wing with Mount on the left

jourginhos pace does not work for this system, we were much better when kovacic came on

Ideally its a Kova Kante duo, maybe throw in Havertz if we need to p[lay 3 in there but it has to be Puli LW

If he wants to play him RW, then it has to be Odoi LW.

CMs out there throw the balance of the team all off.

We've Utd on Saturday and they got a great win away to PSG, wont be an easy game but Utd,Spurs, Arsenal should be our competition this year for 3rd/4th so a win would be brilliant.

I thought there was no balance and little threat in that team last night. Three of the defensive signings did well in Mendy, Silva and Chilwell who really looks a good player.

The general feeling on here was the job came a few years too early for Lamps and I still think that is the case. Much as I would love him to succeed I don't think he will - this time around at least.

Still United on Saturday early in the season but we need a win there and our record of late against the big six as it were is poor. It would be interesting to see Rudiger beside Silva that could work well for us or else Dave as United have a bit of pace so James may be needed at RB. Midfield is a concern good players none of which seem to be able to play with each other and unbalanced forward line. Mount is not a LW or any sort of wing really. Pulisic is clearly rusty which you would expect but he really needs minutes so would persevere with him.

Can Lampard leave out one of his favourites it will be interesting to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Agreed, Mount seems to be flexible enough to do a job anywhere but Pulisic is way way more effective off the left. I'd say it's to avoid him and Werner occupying the same spots.

I thought we were sh/te enough all over the pitch last night, looked like a team with 5 new players in it still. Kovacic probably motm with his cameo.

We really struggled to get any grip on the midfield whatsoever, Kante and jorginho not picking a pass all night not helped. Even with Kova on the bench, I would have dropped Mount much deeper to get him on the ball in space, himself and Havertz might as well have not been on the pitch for large chunks of the game.

hots wrote: »
    Agreed, Mount seems to be flexible enough to do a job anywhere but Pulisic is way way more effective off the left. I'd say it's to avoid him and Werner occupying the same spots.

I thought we were sh/te enough all over the pitch last night, looked like a team with 5 new players in it still. Kovacic probably motm with his cameo.

We really struggled to get any grip on the midfield whatsoever, Kante and jorginho not picking a pass all night not helped. Even with Kova on the bench, I would have dropped Mount much deeper to get him on the ball in space, himself and Havertz might as well have not been on the pitch for large chunks of the game.

Yeah - bunch of individuals rather than a team. We're still playing too many back passes, particularly for a home game. We need more urgency in the play, but you dont get that with Jorginho.

bullpost wrote: »
    Yeah - bunch of individuals rather than a team. We're still playing too many back passes, particularly for a home game. We need more urgency in the play, but you dont get that with Jorginho.

Ironically he's the only one looking for the ball over the top to Werner though. Agreed though, we need a bit more decisiveness in the moves, it either needs to be a quick and direct possession, or if that's not on then the team need to recognise that, drop deeper and look to build it up. Too often last night Kante and Jorginho were on the ball and our creative 4 players were occupying the wrong spaces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,847 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

hots wrote: »
    Ironically he's the only one looking for the ball over the top to Werner though. Agreed though, we need a bit more decisiveness in the moves, it either needs to be a quick and direct possession, or if that's not on then the team need to recognise that, drop deeper and look to build it up. Too often last night Kante and Jorginho were on the ball and our creative 4 players were occupying the wrong spaces.

There's a massive gap between Kante and Jorginho and the forwards with a line of Seville players in between. No one (cough... Kai or Mason) was dropping back to receive the ball from either Kante, Jorginho, or the full backs so all they could do was pass it back around again

duploelabs wrote: »
    There's a massive gap between Kante and Jorginho and the forwards with a line of Seville players in between. No one (cough... Kai or Mason) was dropping back to receive the ball from either Kante, Jorginho, or the full backs so all they could do was pass it back around again

Yep spot on, and that's a system thing really. Both of those players have played deeper than the 10/wide10 that they were playing last night, totally within their capability to drop deeper and influence the game that way. It'll be very interesting this weekend to see what we do, united will pack deep I suspect and outnumber us in midfield too and then hit us on the counter with pace all day.

24th anniversary of Matthew Harding's death a sad loss for his family and his Chelsea family RIP

24th anniversary of Matthew Harding's death a sad loss for his family and his Chelsea family RIP

The guy who changed everything in terms of ambition at the club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,349 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

how did your boy sarr fair last night do ye know? result aside of course

how did your boy sarr fair last night do ye know? result aside of course

Looks like he did ok according to reports. Kept Mahrez quiet

• Advertisement

Poor Kepa sitting their thinking, "F**k, I'm 3rd choice now".

Poor Kepa sitting their thinking, "F**k, I'm 3rd choice now".

4th

I dont think Cech will play anyway barring some almighty disaster but its good to see the big man back.

peteeeed wrote: »

Tough game to plan for really, do you try and sort out our issues from the last few games or do you adjust to Ole most likely playing 5atb again... I'd be playing Kovacic regardless anyway, and probably sitting Ziyech & Mount on the bench.

Mendy
    Azpi-Silva-Zouma-Chilwell
    Jorginho
    Kante-Kovacic
    Havertz---Pulisic
    Werner

I'm expecting mount over Jorginho though.

No hope Mount is benched.

I'd sy it'll be the same side who drew with Sevilla.

Pulisic ruined on the right wing and Mount faffing about on the left wing.

Not Mounts fault he is a decent player just not a winger, Lamps needs to wise up

I get why he loves Mount, lad will press and press and press and press

Actual attacking input on the game? Not so much

A 3 man midfield of Kante, Kovacic and Mount is what I'd like to see, in reality we'll get the same lineup as Tuesday with Dave in for James and maybe Ziyech for Pulisic since Pulisic hasn't had a real impact yet

A 3 man midfield of Kante, Kovacic and Mount is what I'd like to see

Same here, very mobile, can be played with one or two deep during a game, could bring Jorginho in for any one of them to anchor it more if needed, or Havertz/Ziyech for Mount in some cases.

• Advertisement

Was hoping we'd be done with 5 at the back, moving forward it's not going to be our primary formation and I'd prefer us to stick with either a 4231 or 433 which aren't too dissimilar from each other and players will mostly have similar roles, whereas with 5 at the back almost everyone has a different role

I might have to eat my words but I don't think the United team is strong enough to warrant us having to go defensive like this, if we can't deal with attackers like 2020 Juan Mata and Daniel James with 4 at the back then who will we ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I'm immensely more confident now that Mendy and Silva are in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭kalych

That headlock by Maguire on Azpi 😆 how do defenders keep getting away with these type of fouls but every every time the ball touches your pinky is a peno now? Poor reffing.

Even enough first half. Probably better saves by Mendy but a few narrow misses by Chelsea that could have snuck in. All to play for in the second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

kalych wrote: »
    That headlock by Maguire on Azpi 😆 how do defenders keep getting away with these type of fouls but every every time the ball touches your pinky is a peno now? Poor reffing.

Cannot understand how that didn't even merit a review. Fair enough the appeal on the other end but if azpi had rightfully got his penalty that would never have happened.

• Advertisement

Nice short dominance spell there after it being all United for 10 odd minutes. Pulisic should have scored from that cross from James.

Have to say that defending has been exemplary so far by Chelsea. Probably having 6 defensively minded people on the pitch helps. Hopefully can push on and score now.

Defended really well but showed nothing going forward. Really awful game and a fair result.

That block by Thiago Silva near the end was unreal.

Johner wrote: »
    Defended really well but showed nothing going forward. Really awful game and a fair result.

Agreed. Again and again we're not stretching defences. James kept running forward, stopping and passing backwards all game apart from that one time towards the end when he finally took on Shaw. Very little from the left in attacking sense also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement