Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2023/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Palace dont exactly look they want to get back into it

We could easily put 5/6 on them but it would be a waste of energy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Should have been 7 or 8 but take the goals and drive on.

A walk in the park and probably the best 90mins we've played under Tuchel.

If Havertz had his shooting boots, he'd have got a hat trick today, still played pretty well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

great win and lots of chances created

Good weekend for us.

Spurs out of the race for 4th you'd think and West Ham dragging Leicester into the mix.

3rd is up for grabs as much as 4th now over that West Ham victory.

We've got the toughest run in, we've to play City, Leicester and West Ham.

We're going to have to win at least 2 of those games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

I love how Joe Cole says "us" when talking about Chelsea on BT now

I know he spent 7 years here in basically all of his prime, but he's not a Chelsea youth and we let him go when he wasn't top class anymore

Others like Ballack and Fabregas are similar and spent even less time here, yet they look back on Chelsea very very well

I love how Joe Cole says "us" when talking about Chelsea on BT now

I know he spent 7 years here in basically all of his prime, but he's not a Chelsea youth and we let him go when he wasn't top class anymore

Others like Ballack and Fabregas are similar and spent even less time here, yet they look back on Chelsea very very well

he supported chelsea as kid and only left as a coach at the club last summer so he's one of us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Killinator

Not a great game or performance but job done.

Felt bad for Pulisic, got kicked around the pitch all night!

JOB DONE , next

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

Champions League Semi Final ... who'd have thought that in September?!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Not sure how Porto got away with kicking Pulisic all over the place, that and falling over when a butterfly flapped its wings really make them one of those teams you dislike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Not sure how Porto got away with kicking Pulisic all over the place, that and falling over when a butterfly flapped its wings really make them one of those teams you dislike.

https://twitter.com/PaulCarr/status/1382075416693866498?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Last 4 with a real chance of getting to the final :)

I reckon we had another couple of gears if Porto had scored early . Tough watch but it was great game management all the same.

So Real Madrid it is .Last night they looked solid enough without being spectacular .

Is Hazard likely to be back for the semis?

Barr wrote: »
    So Real Madrid it is .Last night they looked solid enough without being spectacular .

We both played very similar games, both happy enough to just maintain the original legs result without going gung ho in 2nd leg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

I thought their second leg and ours were very similar, professional without threatening. Tbo a bit busier than Mendy though in fairness.

How I would love to get one over on Tbo (yes ,I am still sore) :pac:

How I would love to get one over on Tbo (yes ,I am still sore) :pac:

We know how best to shoot at the bloody snake anyway, he always found it hard to close the long legs

Can't believe it's the first time we're playing them in the Champions League, I suppose our best times from 04-12 and theirs from 14-18 the other wasn't around much

• Advertisement

It's a shame the only two clubs with a bit of European History got drawn together in the semi, would have made for a better final.

No fear of Madrid anyway, we've already beaten the better side from Madrid this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭shrewd

GavRedKing wrote: »
    It's a shame the only two clubs with a bit of European History got drawn together in the semi, would have made for a better final.

No fear of Madrid anyway, we've already beaten the better side from Madrid this year.

Are you sure?
    This Madrid just put aside Liverpool and Barcelona within days, compare that to Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

shrewd wrote: »
    Are you sure?
    This Madrid just put aside Liverpool and Barcelona within days, compare that to Chelsea

I'd just about fancy Chelsea too I think... just think Chelsea will be set up to be very resolute and strong, and the quality is there to get the breakthrough in those defining moments. As long as no-one is sent off :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Go on Newcastle. Gives us more chance of 4th

How does Dean give James a yellow for a 1st foul but Fernandinio takes out Mount cynically twice but isn't booked!

• Advertisement

Better team won.

Happy with that.

Just do the same in the CL final now too.

>>
    <<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Really good performance, delighted with that.

never in doubt :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭kalych

Great performance from Chelsea. Never really out of 2nd gear, but didn't need to be as City were not ready for this it seems.

Although I'd honestly love if we played PSG in the final for some Tuchel retribution.

• Advertisement

That was far easier than I thought it would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Even tho I was terrified for the last 10 mins City didn't have any clear cut chances, can't understand hoe james had a yellow card before fernandinio but on balance not a dirty game.
    Our game management has come on in leaps and bounds under touchel.

anything going on at the moment?

peteeeed wrote: »
    anything going on at the moment?

No SSDD really

Leicester in the final. New champions league maybe next year. Plus our old boss is fired from spurs. Nice weekend

Great to see Spurs and Jose part company but the ESL is an absolute farce of a competition and if Chelsea do enter it and it cuts their toes with the English FA and EL/CL competitions they're braindead.

They'll lose a lot of fans.

I hope they won't cut their toes as they will fall over

I'm worried they don't care about losing European fans on the ground, cause the potential increase in interest from America and Asia could be more than that, or at least that's how they'll see it

CL is huge in America as it stands. Lot of sportsl channels in US carry PL and CL games.

This is money grabbing at its finest and it's a joke.

Don't forget though the US are quite familiar with closed leagues, isn't the MLS a closed league as well?

• Advertisement

I think the single worst aspect is the 'closed shop', 'founding fathers' aspect with a spot for life.

That means, somehow, the 5 teams who do get awarded a spot on 'merit' could potentially do better than the founders in their season in the competition but then would have to be kicked out to make way for the next batch of 5 teams while the founders sit there twiddling their thumbs.
    No incentive to perform once the title itself is out of reach in either competition, just sail along playing practice games until the new season.

I look forward to Chelsea playing the likes of Barcelona as it's a rarity and a special occasion. It'll quickly lose its appeal when it's twice or three times a season with it often being a dead rubber game.

The whole thing just shows how little fans mean to clubs, and that's the majority of clubs not just the current ESL clubs. A lot if the complaining by 'smaller' sides is only because they knew they never had a chance to be in, but if they were offered a place at the trough they'd happily squeeze in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

I wonder if the CPO will dig in and try to block it? They own lease on the pitch and name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

I know I'm in the minority but football has been headed this way for quite sometime and football fans of these big clubs ourselves included of course are not without blame.

I believe I was always fairly consistent here over the years baffled by other supporters bulling for a 3rd or 4th place over a trophy. Direct runner up fair enough maybe they've issued a challenge and some sort of reward is merited but how many times has the 3rd placed team been in with a genuine chance of top spot? not often I guess.

In my view the CL would be the ultimate competition if teams were unseeded but that is never going to be a runner because it weakens these big clubs chances of milking it.

UEFA and FIFA taking some sort of moral highground on greed is laughable, part of me is delighted they are running scared tbh that's a definite plus for this whole affair.

It's a cash grab no question but in truth am I that fussed honestly no and have followed long enough to know football is as fickle as a sport gets. I've accepted that long ago you only have to see ongoing debate about VAR yet diving is happily accepted and rewarded, it really is a funny old game.

If this gets afloat people will be back on board quite rapidly that's why I can't trust myself to have any of this sort of severe negativity others seem to be having.

In my experience apart from numerous trips to the Bridge I've taken in games in multiple stadiums, including 3 of the other 5 proposed and to pretend they weren't miles detached from anything else would just be delusional.

Enjoying our cup runs I'd be more worried about the implications that might be threatened in regard to those than any flung together super league experiment.

First I've heard tonight which has been buried they plan to integrate the Women's sides too with this? when France and Germany have the top level sides? Liverpool are dirt and Man U only set up a team like last year.

Honestly the Chelsea women's team have been fantastic alternative when the lads have been delving out dross during various spells over the last few years sure we're leaps and bounds ahead of most in the WSL but play the way you want youngsters to get interested in the game. Now if UEFA punish them too somehow similarly they actually arent at all removed from the commoner fan and not millionaires then I may be slightly offended.

bullpost wrote: »
    I wonder if the CPO will dig in and try to block it? They own lease on the pitch and name

Don't think they can do much really.

If it's true Chelsea and City were advised get on board or get left behind and they both folded, I'll have lost a lot of faith in the board.

They had a chance to dig their heels in and set the tone.

Let's be fair, Chelsea and City have a lot of money, more than the 4, thanks to our owners and 350m a year is great for the bank but f**k me, the board is going the right way to divide and lose a substantial amount of fans due to their greed.

Good news is Liverpool drew so not up to 4th.

Fifa and eufa are both corrupt to the core as the world Cup voting shows.
    Best for the fans is how much they can make from them.

Be some sicker to be kicked out of champions this year as have a good chance of winning it.

FIFA are the biggest s**t houses around.

UEFA not much better but the ESL is a joke.

I'd have no issue if Chelsea got turfed out of the CL, PL on the back of this.

That goes for the other clubs involved too.

Hopefully it's just posturing and a power grab but it's still a disgrace, IMO.

Hope it is as you say, premier league games were set at 15 euro each and city got away with a ban with psg with the Neymar also.

Football is about money or they would have capped the wages for players and their own salary. How many teams could they have saved that went bust.

Either way roll on tomorrow and a win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I'd have no issue if Chelsea got turfed out of the CL, PL on the back of this.

That goes for the other clubs involved too.

Hopefully it's just posturing and a power grab but it's still a disgrace, IMO.

I would pointless having invested free time from work to watch matches only for UEFA not bother to deliver the end product, next season grand but that's the plan isn't it.

Would be right silly to tank the Prem as some sort of goodwill gesture to the fans.

Reservations over how lads behind the scenes in football conduct themselves is nothing new, devious to the core. I swear most who claim wish to have their club suffer for making this unique play to increase revenue should have ran a mile from these mega wealth clubs ages ago! see how it all plays out anyway it's a very bold move.

Advertisement