Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2023/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

The delights of Windsor Park for the Super Cup awaits.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

first title after sari
    but was worth the wait <3

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Lavinia wrote: »
    first title after sari
    but was worth the wait <3

I'd take no PL win for another 5 years if we won the CL again in the same period.

That's the big one and now we've got multiple CLs and within the last decade too, we're by far the biggest side in London, have to keep drilling that home too.

Hopefully Tuchel can get us another PL too in the next 2/3 years, that would be ideal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I'd take no PL win for another 5 years if we won the CL again in the same period.

That's the big one and now we've got multiple CLs and within the last decade too, we're by far the biggest side in London, have to keep drilling that home too.

Hopefully Tuchel can get us another PL too in the next 2/3 years, that would be ideal.

Joe Cole mentioned last night, since Roman came in Chelsea have won more trophy's than anyone else in England. Some consistency over 16 or 17 years in fairness, and really shows all the managerial chopping and changing hasn't really caused much damage.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Joe Cole mentioned last night, since Roman came in Chelsea have won more trophy's than anyone else in England. Some consistency over 16 or 17 years in fairness, and really shows all the managerial chopping and changing hasn't really caused any damage.

It's a situation that shouldn't work, any other club that's adopted a similar approach, it's never really worked consistently for them.

Tuchel came with a highly abrasive reputation and Chelsea is the last place that works out in the long term, time will tell if he lasts 3 years, which seems to be the max any manager lasts here but I'd hope he's here for double that.

He's probably the first manager since Conte that I'd hope would be here for about half a decade but again, its Chelsea he could be sacked by Christmas.

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

"Chelsea only conceded 4 goals in the entirety of their 2020/21 CL campaign, a new record. They were also only behind for 5 minutes combined across 13 matches. Deserving winners"

Haven't checked to see if the above is true, but either way, well deserved win, come on you Blues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

What a weekend :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Congrats lads some feeling watching the team you support lift the Champions League ,

Great way to end the season for you's

As a Liverpool fan I hate seeing any other English team win it (which doesn't make sense) but end of the day football fans are all the same bar the team they support so enjoy ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

Techless wrote: »
    "Chelsea only conceded 4 goals in the entirety of their 2020/21 CL campaign, a new record. They were also only behind for 5 minutes combined across 13 matches. Deserving winners"

Haven't checked to see if the above is true, but either way, well deserved win, come on you Blues

It is true, 1 Rennes, 1 Krasnodar, 1 Porto, 1 Real Madrid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Carpentry wrote: »
    It is true, 1 Rennes, 1 Krasnodar, 1 Porto, 1 Real Madrid

3 of those goalscorers were French too.

Maybe Pep needed to have faith in Mendy ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

Lovely to see Giroud as our top scorer in the CL with 6 goals.

And third-highest overall in this years competition, sharing the ranking with Morata, Neymar, Salah and Benzema.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Big summer ahead for us.

I'd guess there'll be a fair few out and maybe 2, 3 in.

Barkley
    Tammy
    Emerson
    Alonso
    Caballero
    RLC
    Giroud
    Batshuayi

There's a few frees and maybe 100m between the 2 LBs and the 3 English lads.

There was talks of Odoi going out too but ideally that's bogus.

Ideally, there'll be a decent LB signed but if Alonso wanted to stay around to be 2nd choice so be it.

Talks of a CM might be premature, as long as we don't go back in for Rice I'll be happy. Gallagher coming back from a very decent loan at WBA and Ampadu from a lackluster loan from Sheff Utd should give us ample cover in CM and in Ampadus case, CB too, plus we've Billy Gilmour, so CM is far from a pressing matter IMO.

Biggest issue is a CF, a proper #9. Lukaku seems to be the one were nailed on to get given Inter having a few money issues.

A great summer would be Lukaku/Halaand (hight unlikely), a decent LB and a CB.

CF is definitely the priority, get a 20 league goal scoring CF and we'll be pushing City for 1st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I'd rather us keep Alonso, he offers something totally different, if he's happy to be a backup who plays 8-12 games a season then we should keep him. Emerson is similar to Chilwell but at a lesser quality, we need someone as backup left back

Other than that I'd hope we clear all of the above named, RLC will be another loan, his 200k wages will mean nobody will want him permanently after his Fulham season

We have 3 senior midfielders in Kante, Jorginho and Kovacic, and Mount can also play there, thats enough imo. 2 youngsters like Gilmour and Ampadu would be ideal backup and rotation, Ampadu covering defense as well means he is a very handy man in a matchday squad

There's no centre back out there I'd be mad for us to sign, we have 5 options there already so integrating Ampadu to help ease the loss of Thiago Silva next year would be the way to go imo

The only one I wouldn't be that surprised to see go is Zouma, absolute beast in the air and I thought earlier in the year he was on the road to fulfilling his potential, but at 5th choice I'm not sure he'll want to stay

• Advertisement

James has covered RCB now with his pace and physicality, that's where I'd have expected Zouma to play TBH but if we keep James and sign Traore, then the right side will be full of power and pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Just sign Dunk..

(Runs!)

James has covered RCB now with his pace and physicality, that's where I'd have expected Zouma to play TBH but if we keep James and sign Traore, then the right side will be full of power and pace.

James is too good at RWB imo, he's nice cover depending on the day but I hope his future is there and not at centre back even as part of a 3, the outside guy can find himself on the ball on a lot and James is obv very good on the ball so its an option imo rather than his future

We would be full of pace and power with Traore but I don't think we need the headache of dealing with his absolute dearth of end product, James and Dave along with Odoi are enough in the first team and Livramento might have a future here too

There's talk of Tommy T going to a 4222 or similar as well, the targets we have over the summer will tell regarding this

We're going to win the lot next year anyway with Tommy T so it's irrelevant who's signed.

>>
    <<

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

It's great to see someone come in that brings that much passion and knowledge.
    And he's here for another year too, woo!

Panthro wrote: »
    It's great to see someone come in that brings that much passion and knowledge.

When you see guys like Ballack and Fabregas who weren't made here hold the club in such regard, it's a bloody good sign

I'd expect more posts seeing as we won a CL but then I remembered it's the 2nd time we've won it.

No big deal, just the biggest side in London and 3rd biggest in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Personally I assume I would've posted more but that great night led to the most whopper hangover since before this whole covid biz started. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Personally I assume I would've posted more but that great night led to the most whopper hangover since before this whole covid biz started. :o

lol , I was in the same boat , think it was Tuesday before my brain dried out .

With all the doom and gloom over the last while , 2021 has finaly given a booster

Lukaku on Belgian duty :

"I'm staying at Inter, I've spoken to the new Inter manager and I'm staying next year."

Paraphrasing slightly but you get the idea.

So that's Lukaku not being an option and Kane (0 chance with Levy) and Halaand (impossibly expensive) all out of our range.

Could be a long summer, unless we go with Werner/Havertz up top.

Costa is a free agent if we want to go for an experienced back up, like Giroud, be a mad call though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Lukaku on Belgian duty :

"I'm staying at Inter, I've spoken to the new Inter manager and I'm staying next year."

Paraphrasing slightly but you get the idea.

So that's Lukaku not being an option and Kane (0 chance with Levy) and Halaand (impossibly expensive) all out of our range.

Could be a long summer, unless we go with Werner/Havertz up top.

Costa is a free agent if we want to go for an experienced back up, like Giroud, be a mad call though.

He ran away once let him off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

He ran away once let him off

Which one as both ran away ;)
    Lukaku won't want to see him in chelsea even if great player. Went to man u after saying wanted at Chelsea, to manager who left him go.

Lukaku issue when we signed Morata was all his agents doing.

Morata was meant to be off to Utd, Lukaku to Chelsea.

We definitely got done over by Utd paying more for his services but I don't think Lukaku is with Raiola anymore.

Anyway, if he's staying at Inter, so be it.

On to the next one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Super Cup in Belfast on 11th August.

I wonder how hard it will be to get tickets??

Difficult I'd say. Chelsea have a big following up there among a certain demographic :D

I wouldn't darken the door of Windsor Park if it was save a family members life.

peteeeed wrote: »

Surprised he signed on. Glad he did.

Tubbs4 wrote: »
    Surprised he signed on. Glad he did.

nice if he stays but might mean a transfer fee from someone who wants him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Big Willy is leaving. He was about a good a third choice keeper as you could get.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement

peteeeed wrote: »
    nice if he stays but might mean a transfer fee from someone who wants him

Ah see the club extended it. My bad as thought he was free to leave this year.

Surprised we kept Giroud tbh.

He barely got a kick in the last few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Surprised we kept Giroud tbh.

He barely got a kick in the last few weeks.

More kicks than tammy

duploelabs wrote: »
    More kicks than tammy

Thankfully.

Contes seen the light, won't darken the doors over the lane.

Good for him.

Contes seen the light, won't darken the doors over the lane.

Good for him.

What club will have the money he wants to spend. PSG I can only think as man u standing by their man

• Advertisement

PSG but he's probably more abrasive than Tuchel so couldn't see it lasting too long.

He'd probably win them the CL though, Poch won't win that holy grail for them, he's not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

I could see it being a disaster for him at PSG, he's too overbearing for PSG, too many egos and personalities to contend with I could see him falling out with everyone, imagine him trying to drill Neymar...

I reckon Man U would suit him best, he'd be given the money needed to build a great team and put his own stamp on things, they'd also give him time and would put up with him.

I could see it being a disaster for him at PSG, he's too overbearing for PSG, too many egos and personalities to contend with I could see him falling out with everyone, imagine him trying to drill Neymar...

I reckon Man U would suit him best, he'd be given the money needed to build a great team and put his own stamp on things, they'd also give him time and would put up with him.

Looks like they will stick with Ole, but I would have thought Zidane would be a good match for them if he could be persuaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

I thought my watches lock screen might go down well here! 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Absolutely delighted to hear Giroud has been extended . Great bit of business.

• Advertisement
Advertisement