Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2023/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Ya not keen on the appointment.

Enrique was the more interesting choice to me it seemed he made demands which you want but the club I gather were more in search of a yesman.

Spurs are usually the ones hiring our relatively recent ex managers if the objective is to qualify for Europe and back playing well Poch can do that but I'd have my doubts on him coming in terms of competing for trophies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Luis Enrique is quite a bombastic character, not unlike Conte. I don't think he'd last too long under the current setup (not that I approve of how the club's being run but that's another story).

Poch will have experienced a basketcase club from his time at PSG so he knows what he's getting into. I don't have much hope for the future (because of the general state of the club, nothing to do with Poch) so I'm not sure how this going to play out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

I just hope Poch can get some of these expensive flops to show some potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I think its a great appointment. Seriously over achieved with spurs and the club have clearly taken their time, so hopefully that means there are no surprises on either side.

So Lamps have lost 7 of his 9 matches. Last game against Newcastle who have already secured CL next year.

Any chance the players will give it a go for the last game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Killinator

Why bother, they haven't when it actually mattered, why start now when they could throw in another limp performance and ship 2 or 3 more goals

One more game and it's done, thank f**k for that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Quite telling about our current position that it looks like we're going to lose Mount and Kovacic to CL teams in the same league.

I don't blame them and it's incredibly frustrating that for all the money the club has been tossing about, we are losing two of key players. I'd have rather give them bigger contracts instead of all we spent on transfer fees for 'potential'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Especially so soon after Jorginho leaving too. Those 3 are a reasonably high quality midfield as a unit, all moved on within 6 months.

Mount might be a loss but Jorginho and Kov are past it in my option. Not bad options, but Kante was better than both of them when he was fit this season. He's a bigger loss I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

good luck Kante , what a player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,847 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

One of our best ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I think If we lose Kante, Kova, probably Gallagher n RLC... we should hold on to Mount to see if Pochs can knock a tune of out him.

He had a purple patch where he was unreal, so we know there's a good player there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

We lost a legend today lads.

John Hollins has passed away aged 76.

I'm old enough to remember him playing, and he seemed to be a permanent member of the Chelsea Family.

RIP JOHN

Looks likely we will lose Havertz too. Brilliant player when he wanted to be (Against Dortumund this year) but terrible lazy attitude most of the time.

Thats a lot of players to lose. I see us bidding for Caceido which would be nice but we need a bloody striker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I can't have any faith in a Bundesliga player coming and having the same success after Werner and Havertz

I really really hope he does, burned once twice shy though

• Advertisement

Looks like our team is gonna look VERY different next season with all these outgoings.

Kante would be a massive loss IF he had been able to stay fit, unfortunately that seemed less and less likely given his work rate would naturally increase the odds of injury.

Interesting that City see something in Kovacic, hopefully doesn't turn.into another De Bruyne situation where he becomes world class after we let him go. Same with Havertz if Arsenal do take him

Havertz couldn't finish a mars bar, as highlighted by the difference between his xG and actual goals for his time with us.

Kova is a loss in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭joeyboy11

I like kova but not many goals in him and he seemed more concerned playing for his country

He's definitely not a goal scorer, that's a given

What's people's opinion/ideas on Mount situation. Does Poch want to use him so reluctant to sell or is it just price gouging?

Not sure, but we have sold a lot of players already! Might be nice for him to have someone left

Well we have our answer and another player down

I'm coming round to idea that letting these players go might be for best in long term. They've been through a very **** time with the club and morale going foward might be impacted. Best to wipe the slate clean for Poch maybe.

Cesc has officially retired from football. Great player for the Blues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Well Poch talks the talk at least, good introduction to the club and a big effort to get the fans on board (which after Potter & Lamps wouldn't be too hard anyway). Don't quite know why but I am reasonably confident about next season, not having any European football whilst very disappointing does give him a lot of time to work with the players.

A lot of deadwood is being shifted on, most of it for decent sums of money. Sad to see RLC go in such a fashion but for a meaningless friendly fixture on a terrible pitch he really could have been a great. Never moaned and always tried, such a shame really. Our dressing room has been pitiful for a long time now this rebuild is required, lets hope some of the players actually have character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭joeyboy11

I'm actually feeling positive too. I think poch can change the culture back to winning ways.

said all he needs to say

César Azpilicueta is officially leaving us after 11 years.

Bought for 7 million, what an absolute bargain. 508 appearances and 17 goals later our captain is moving on.

Terrific player for the club, always a great attitude on and off the pitch.

Thank you for all the memories Dave, and very best of luck in the future.

The video he did was very emotional, quite clear he loves the club and fans.

We should have won.

But on the upside that was a much better performance compared to last seasons dross.

Decent result today given how it started.

Most played well, except Sterling, I cannot fathom.how he is getting into the team as all.he did was play the ball consistently against the shins of the Liverpool players 🙄

There's a good team in there but not great seeing Reece James going off in the first game, hopefully not a sign of things to come

I thought Sterling had a decent game, by his recent standards. Jackson looks a character. I'm happy overall with that start - We look like a team again.

Given his turnaround in his performance during the game, I would say Gallagher was told about the Moises deal being done during half time

Not quite sure how we managed to bin that match!

Should have been out of reach by half time but I did think to myself if we didn't go in at the break ahead that they would raise their game.

I'm not a fan of Sterling but he was very good, Caicedo didn't impress but have to give benefit of no training time with team.

And another injury.....

• Advertisement

We didnt have enough variety to our game, espeically after they went ahead. We kept pumping balls high into their box even though they were dealing with it comfortably.

Hopefully Luton on Friday gives us a chance to reset and grab three points and some confidence.

Yeah we need the variety.

It worked against Liverpool because they pressed and left gaps, it was never going to be the same with a team that was much happier to sit back and have the ball.

We still seem to need 10 clear chances to bag a goal.

At this stage, I'd give Lukaku a run. Literally cant be worse than nothing. Can he?!

A win, 3 goals scored, all by forward players, no goals conceded and no injuries!

Drink it in folks, heady days!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭micknail

Anyone listen to the Wimbledon game?

According to people at the match it was fairly one sided (even the penalty was debatable, a Sanchez punch of the ball that was deemed a foul (cough Onana)).

But then listening to Nizaar Kinsella he thought Wimbledon put up a good fight??

Perhaps in terms of score yes, but very little in terms of actual threat I would have thought.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭micknail

Ah great!

Genuinely didn't know there was cameras at the game, heard of people in the crowd live streaming on insta!

You'd have to wonder why Chelseatv or the app didn't stream it officially

Things really haven't changed even if most of the players have.

Still seem to be incapable of making the right decision in the final third and on the rare occasion we create a chance we are unable to finish it.

That was dreadful. Hard to see where the money has gone. no urgency, no creativity, dreadful choices in the last third. A very anemic performance.

Mudryks goal was superb

• Advertisement
Advertisement