Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2023/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

No, big fat nope from me, and bat sh*t crazy giving him two years.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

jacool wrote: »
    Is the logic not that Silva has the smarts to pass onto a younger player like Tomori?
    Don't think the others have much to learn, do they?

He's more of a safe stop gap imo, and christensen and zouma definitely have plenty to learn (Rudiger is probably at his level now though). Tomori needs games and a decent level I think, unless Frank made a massive change and put him beside Silva I don't think it's worth him staying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

No, big fat nope from me, and bat sh*t crazy giving him two years.

Only way to get him it seems, although its probably 1 + if he plays x games its an automatic renewal

I cant remember where i saw it but i think the salary is 120k a week, which if he isnt getting a massive signing on bonus is good value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

I think its a great signing in terms of a 1+1 deal, you would hope he can guide those around him like he did at PSG

Only way to get him it seems, although its probably 1 + if he plays x games its an automatic renewal

I cant remember where i saw it but i think the salary is 120k a week, which if he isnt getting a massive signing on bonus is good value

120 grand a week for a 36 year old, until he's 38, good value? Don't think I agree tbh. I think it's small time club mentality and just doesn't fit with Chelsea's transfer strategy that they've had for years and years, younger players with more to offer have been shown the door because of it.

• Advertisement

120 grand a week for a 36 year old, until he's 38, good value? Don't think I agree tbh. I think it's small time club mentality and just doesn't fit with Chelsea's transfer strategy that they've had for years and years, younger players with more to offer have been shown the door because of it.

He might be 36, but did he look out of place in a CL final on Sunday?

Younger players have been given the chance this season to cement their place at centre back and nobody took their chance fully. Theyre now going to get the chance to compete with and learn from one of the best around, who even if he’s past his prime has a lot to offer

Something new needs to be tried at centre back because no current combination has been good enough, this is overall as cheap an option as there is compared to bringing in someone else who would be as much a risk as the current guys we have. Available cbs like Ake and Gabriel havent shown enough to be worth the money over what we have

It definitely sticks out compared to the other signings too, but I guess if our targets weren't there to be got the alternative is another season with what we had which isn't good enough. A free top level experienced stop gap is better than nothing imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Might aswell get Messi while were at it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

hots wrote: »
    It definitely sticks out compared to the other signings too, but I guess if our targets weren't there to be got the alternative is another season with what we had which isn't good enough. A free top level experienced stop gap is better than nothing imo.

A bit of experience in our young back line can only be a good thing, i know he's a little on the old side but he was an exceptional defender and didn't look out of place in the final the other night. I'd actually be more worried about the risk of spending €100 million on Havertz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Any chance of Messi ?

• Advertisement

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Any chance of Messi ?
    he follows 4 teams on instagram
    his old team in argentina
    barca
    man city
    chelsea

city i would think are favourites but i think PSG but we would be in the running i suppose

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Any chance of Messi ?

Wouldnt want him, he's an aging premadonna who will most likely decide the dressing room, we'd have to break our wage structure and it'll directly contradict what frank is trying to do.

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Wouldnt want him, he's an aging premadonna who will most likely decide the dressing room, we'd have to break our wage structure and it'll directly contradict what frank is trying to do.

bet you're fun at christmas :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

peteeeed wrote: »

We've got Pulisic. And as we all know, he's better than Messi.

peteeeed wrote: »

Because I don't like messi? Perhaps you should go back to your game of player manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

I hope we get him, he is older but puts me in mind of Desailly when we got him. Two years should whip our current bunch into shape there are defenders in Zouma, Rudiger, Christensen and Tomori somewhere this might help find them.

I hope we get him, he is older but puts me in mind of Desailly when we got him. Two years should whip our current bunch into shape there are defenders in Zouma, Rudiger, Christensen and Tomori somewhere this might help find them.

And who was a young centre back when Desailly was around? JT of course

I dont actually know what sort of influence he had on Terry, but bias confirmation be damned!

If we were missing out on someone truly worthwhile for Thiago Silva then it would be a bad move, it would be like moving for David Silva when Havertz is available only there’s no Havertz esque guy at centre back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Welcome Chilwell!

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2020/08/26/chilwell-transfer-to-chelsea-confirmed

Ben Chilwell has today become a Blue with the left-back signing a five-year contract.
    The England international joins us from Leicester City, the club where he began his professional career.

On making the move to Stamford Bridge, Chilwell said: ‘I am delighted to be joining Chelsea at this very exciting time for the club. I’m looking forward to being a part of this young, dynamic squad led by Frank Lampard as we challenge for honours next season. I can’t wait to get started and hopefully it won’t be long before we’re playing in front of the Chelsea fans at Stamford Bridge.’

Chelsea director Marina Granovskaia added: ‘We are very pleased to have completed our third addition to our exciting squad for the coming season. Ben brings plenty of top-level experience playing in the Premier League, Champions League and at international level, despite his young age.

‘We are confident Ben will adapt very quickly to being a Chelsea player and with the fixture programme for 2020/21 especially busy, he is a fantastic addition to the squad needed to challenge for honours.’

Free transfer now to join the loan army

Not bad business, if he comes good then mighty, if not he'll still be a plus in the accounts for the loan farming for a few years to come

Left footed to my knowledge, so if he does kick on he has a plus in that category

• Advertisement

Lovin the transfer activity...Silva to come, probably announced tomorrow and then possibly Havertz...good window so far

Now obviously it has the benefit of hindsight, but on the face of it.......

Best window since 2004?

We're signing 5 which could be 6 starters (GK, Silva, Chilwell, Havertz, Ziyech, Werner)

Cech, Ferreira, Carvalho and Drogba don't need introductions while a few solid players for the next couple years like Tiago and Robben also came

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Great to see a few new faces coming in.
    Get rid of a few bits of fodder and it'll be a savage window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭kalych

Silva official. Shaping up to be a nice transfer window.

Hopefully he's still got it in him. Looks good in a Chelsea shirt anyway, but then who doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Hopefully he's still got it in him. Looks good in a Chelsea shirt anyway, but then who doesn't.

David Mellor

duploelabs wrote: »
    David Mellor

*shudder* okay, but he never looked better possibly? Than then? No, I've got nothing.

Chelsea had a few high profile supporters in parliament back then. Major Mellor and the late great Tony Banks to name but three

Long, but interesting Twitter thread on Chelsea and FFP after this transfer window spendathon.

https://twitter.com/SwissRamble/status/1300321538030399488?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

*shudder* okay, but he never looked better possibly? Than then? No, I've got nothing.

Chelsea had a few high profile supporters in parliament back then. Major Mellor and the late great Tony Banks to name but three

Unlike Mellor, I dunno if many supporters have insisted on their other half wear a Chelsea shirt when they're 'through on goal'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Nice goal by Werner for Germany.

If himself and Hudson Odoi can link up the same Monday week I'll be a happy camper

Putting Ziyech and Werner in the fantasy team, could be madness but have to keep the faith

If himself and Hudson Odoi can link up the same Monday week I'll be a happy camper

Putting Ziyech and Werner in the fantasy team, could be madness but have to keep the faith

Speaking of Odoi, I take it we're expecting him to start for the first game?

Werner
    CHO-Mount-Ziyech
    Kante--Kovacic
    Chilwell-Silva-Zouma-Dave
    :o

• Advertisement

Speaking of Odoi, I take it we're expecting him to start for the first game?

Werner
    CHO-Mount-Ziyech
    Kante--Kovacic
    Chilwell-Silva-Zouma-Dave
    :o

Only because Pulisic is injured mind

I wouldnt think Silva will start, he hasnt had much of a break, and I believe Chilwell had an injury for a couple weeks when we signed him

My predicted lineup as of now is

Kepa
    Azp Rudiger Zouma Alonso
    Kovacic Kante Mount
    Ziyech Werner CHO

James could easily start over Alonso but against Brighton we need as many good attackers as possible

I do fear Mount on the wing with Jorginho drafted into midfield, wouldnt be a fan of that

Only because Pulisic is injured mind

I wouldnt think Silva will start, he hasnt had much of a break, and I believe Chilwell had an injury for a couple weeks when we signed him

My predicted lineup as of now is

Kepa
    Azp Rudiger Zouma Alonso
    Kovacic Kante Mount
    Ziyech Werner CHO

James could easily start over Alonso but against Brighton we need as many good attackers as possible

I do fear Mount on the wing with Jorginho drafted into midfield, wouldnt be a fan of that

Yeah I'd say you're right on Silva & Chilwell actually. Don't think Azpi LB, we have two viable options now so I'd hope he's purely RB or right in a back 3. Don't think Lamps has much love for Jorginho whatsoever, against Brighton I'd much rather a #10 than 3 in the middle.

Yeah I'd say you're right on Silva & Chilwell actually. Don't think Azpi LB, we have two viable options now so I'd hope he's purely RB or right in a back 3. Don't think Lamps has much love for Jorginho whatsoever, against Brighton I'd much rather a #10 than 3 in the middle.

I hope its Alonso and I'd be happy with either James or Dave at RB

Jorginho doesn't seem to suit the direction Lamps want to move in but being an experienced head with how many new players could see him an option

3 in the middle is the way Lamps wants to play I believe, except as opposed to Sarri's 3, Lamps 3 moving forward will have a defensive mid and 2 more attacking "8s" or whatever you want to call them, similar to Man City with our possible preferred midfield being Kante sitting, Mount and Havertz as the 8s, RLC and Barkley being options as well as Kovacic game depending

At long last

• Advertisement

Out of nowhere this one

In fairness to roman Frank has been backed like no other manager since jose mk1. You'd have to imagine that the expectations will be much higher this season.

looks a bit short for a keeper

kev1.3s wrote: »
    In fairness to roman Frank has been backed like no other manager since jose mk1. You'd have to imagine that the expectations will be much higher this season.

I think the expectations will still be realistic

I cant imagine the club expect a serious title challenge this year coming

A comfortable 3rd pushing 80 points would be a success

So the Crystal Palace shirt wasn't just an elaborate hoax, it really is the third shirt. At least with other terrible shirts over the years they've been original and terrible.

I hate all three shirts this year. Home shirt is like my boys pyjamas, away shirt City, third shirt Palace. Nike are the worst.

So the Crystal Palace shirt wasn't just an elaborate hoax, it really is the third shirt. At least with other terrible shirts over the years they've been original and terrible.

I hate all three shirts this year. Home shirt is like my boys pyjamas, away shirt City, third shirt Palace. Nike are the worst.

It's slightly better than I first thought as it's not fully red and blue and not quite as close to Palace because of that. But it's still grim.

we deserve this and it shouldn't be worn

https://twitter.com/CPFC/status/1302880402043006976?s=20

Ampadu to Sheffield United on loan about to happen

Lots of places to compete for, they play 3 cbs and 3 cms so surely can prove himself somewhere quick enough

I'd have preferred to keep him around after a bad loan since he can play midfield as well as cb, he's not overly physical but could have brought a similar role than an 80m Declan Rice

Ampadu to Sheffield United on loan about to happen

Lots of places to compete for, they play 3 cbs and 3 cms so surely can prove himself somewhere quick enough

I'd have preferred to keep him around after a bad loan since he can play midfield as well as cb, he's not overly physical but could have brought a similar role than an 80m Declan Rice

He needs minutes I think. The two outside CB roles could suit him well at SU, it'll take him a couple of months to learn the system but I could see them struggling and him getting chucked in very easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

Presser starting shortly.....

LINK

• Advertisement
Advertisement