Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruger Precision Rimfire

Options
  • 30-05-2020 8:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hey folks,

Looking at getting into precision rimfire. Heard good things about the ruger precision rimfire, and am interested in getting the big boy model in 6.5 down the line (training on the 22lr model )

Anyone gotten hands on with one?The cost vs the CZ 22lr is inflated here vs abroad where most of the reviews are coming from, so I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Thanks lads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

The last news I heard about these firearms were.............

The Supers would not license them.

Cos they look far too dangerous.

Freind bought one and when he went back to the dealer he was told by the dealer that he was lucky to get alicense as "THEY" would not be issuing anymore for those rifle.
    2 other friends were refused.

Have a read of this thread
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112019557

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 rboa98s165xzh3

Well thats... disappointing to say the least.

Guess its a CZ and aftermarket stock for me then. Thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Asus1

Why not ask a few dealers around you have they sold any lately and had the buyer any problems getting them licensed.I would bet if they knew of people getting it hard to get a licence for 1 they would just not bother stocking them.
    If your "stuck" with a cz dont worry I had the cheapest you could get the synthetic model and it was a brilliant gun out to 100y for me and im not a great shot.I have a 10/22 now and its the stainless with a houge stock and it wouldn't come close to the cz for accuracy out to 100y but out to 75y its a fine gun and suits my needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭alanmc

Is it just the Ruger, or have there been refusals for the likes of the Tikka T1x as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Very poor standard to refuse a bolt action like that on looks... No issues with licencing them in the North East

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭alanmc

So, what is it about them? Is it the handguard that sends people into a frenzy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

clivej wrote: »
    The last news I heard about these firearms were.............

The Supers would not license them.

Cos they look far too dangerous.

Freind bought one and when he went back to the dealer he was told by the dealer that he was lucky to get alicense as "THEY" would not be issuing anymore for those rifle.
    2 other friends were refused.

Have a read of this thread
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112019557

Why ? It’s just a bolt action with some “tacticool” gizmos that serve very little purpose. Like what’s the point having what looks like a heat shield around the barrel of a rim fire bolt action bar looking cool ? It doesn’t make the gun any more effective or ineffective than the same action and barrel in a wooden stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 rboa98s165xzh3

I'd hazard guess at it being a 'it looks scary' response?

As for things like the heat shield etc, you're right they're basically cosmetic for the 22lr. It seems Ruger just scaled everything about the centrefire rifle down to the 22lr . It allows you to better mimic the centrefire set up for training? It's the main reason I'm interested in it, so their marketing is a least partially successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'd hazard guess at it being a 'it looks scary' response?

As for things like the heat shield etc, you're right they're basically cosmetic for the 22lr. It seems Ruger just scaled everything about the centrefire rifle down to the 22lr . It allows you to better mimic the centrefire set up for training? It's the main reason I'm interested in it, so their marketing is a least partially successful.

Pretty much. The restricted firearms order includes “looks like” are a possible criteria. Which is open to varying interpretation by the rubber stampers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

If you want the Ruger ,apply for it and get the dealer to knock it down to a 10 shot mag.Dont base a decision on what ONE Super is doing,wrongly,in another part of the country.They all interpert this differently in every district.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭jb88

Hey folks,

Looking at getting into precision rimfire. Heard good things about the ruger precision rimfire, and am interested in getting the big boy model in 6.5 down the line (training on the 22lr model )

Anyone gotten hands on with one?The cost vs the CZ 22lr is inflated here vs abroad where most of the reviews are coming from, so I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Thanks lads

I wouldn't worry so much about being refused a licence as owning a ruger precision, a contradiction in name.

I watched a fairly gifted shooter spend a full day with three different scopes and about 10 different types of ammo try and get something he would consider a group at 100m with a Ruger Precision in .22.

He gave up and left the gun in as a prize in a competition, that will give you some idea of what he thought of it.

Advertisement