Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Artificial grass

Options
  • 30-05-2020 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭

Hi

Just wanted to check if you are buying grass say 40 mm what depth would place the wood frame relative to the curb edge?

Thanks,

R

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

riddles wrote: »
    Hi

Just wanted to check if you are buying grass say 40 mm what depth would place the wood frame relative to the curb edge?

Thanks,

R

I normally go with about 10mm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭riddles

Hi

Just going to finalise the install of artificial grass. Online it refers to sand in fill. Just wondering if this recommended here?

Thanks,

R

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭rje66

Hi

Just going to finalise the install of artificial grass. Online it refers to sand in fill. Just wondering if this recommended here?

Thanks,

R

Do you measure as sub base or brush into grass thread??

Sorry I mean the kiln dried sand to brush into the grass. I put 804 and granite dust into the base

I've seen US youtube vids of people brushing kiln dried sand into the grass after installation and have never understood why. They've never explained why either. I've never done it nor seen it done here.

Monkey see monkey do i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I've seen US youtube vids of people brushing kiln dried sand into the grass after installation and have never understood why. They've never explained why either. I've never done it nor seen it done here.

Monkey see monkey do i think.

Mine has sand brushed in, he said it weighs the whole thing down and helps the grass stand up.

salmocab wrote: »
    Mine has sand brushed in, he said it weighs the whole thing down and helps the grass stand up.

'He' might be said monkey unfortunately.
    The Op has actually transported me back to my five-a-side days, when sand filled grazed knees were the bane of my life! That graduated to shredded tyre granules which i just brought home in my boots, ears and underpants.
    Maybe they help to preserve the strands on a highly used surface, but in a garden it is pointless imo.
    I have never had any issues with 'keeping it down' (it weighs a ton anyway) after countless installations.

I do hope you don't have children destroying their knees on it btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

'He' might be said monkey unfortunately.
    The Op has actually transported me back to my five-a-side days, when sand filled grazed knees were the bane of my life! That graduated to shredded tyre granules which i just brought home in my boots, ears and underpants.
    Maybe they help to preserve the strands on a highly used surface, but in a garden it is pointless imo.
    I have never had any issues with 'keeping it down' (it weighs a ton anyway) after countless installations.

I do hope you don't have children destroying their knees on it btw.

No it’s great

salmocab wrote: »
    No it’s great

Glad to hear, though it would have been just as great without.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

The sand was added on artificial grass tennis courts and sports surfaces to help the bounce of the ball.

I expect without the sand it would be a softer feeling under foot in a garden, but maybe it might flatten easier if one part is used more, say as a walkway

• Advertisement

The sand was added on artificial grass tennis courts and sports surfaces to help the bounce of the ball.

I expect without the sand it would be a softer feeling under foot in a garden, but maybe it might flatten easier if one part is used more, say as a walkway

That makes far more sense than my reasoning as to why it's applied, and enforces the reason why it's not needed in a garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭rje66

That makes far more sense than my reasoning as to why it applied, and enforces the reason why it's not needed in a garden.

+1. Sports pitches and amenity gardens are very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 CPS84

Sorry I mean the kiln dried sand to brush into the grass. I put 804 and granite dust into the base

Hi, where did you source the granite dust from? I know in the UK they specify ‘Grano’ as the bedding layer for Artificial Grass which is a 6mm down to dust produced from granite. When I’ve looked for a similar product here all I’m finding from local quarries is Quarry Dust or Crusher Down which seems to just be a very fine dust/ powder produced from limestone.

Hi I got it from a local quarry in the midlands - a few tonne of 804 and just over a tonne of quarry dust. Not sure of the spec on the quarry dust. I can pm you the name

CPS84 wrote: »
    Hi, where did you source the granite dust from? I know in the UK they specify ‘Grano’ as the bedding layer for Artificial Grass which is a 6mm down to dust produced from granite. When I’ve looked for a similar product here all I’m finding from local quarries is Quarry Dust or Crusher Down which seems to just be a very fine dust/ powder produced from limestone.

Any type of dust will do the job really.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

Anyone recommend an Artificial grass installer? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

Anyone recommend an Artificial grass installer? Thanks.

https://pstlawns.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

1984baby wrote: »

Many thanks. Could you share why you recommend them? :)

Advertisement