Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda traffic on Twitter 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Mimon wrote: »
    Agree with the APNR idea to catch NCT etc. Don't see the problem with getting the foot down within reason on a motorway in good conditions although the lunatics doing 150 plus could do with a bit of a wake up.

Speed kills and there are maximum limits for a reason.

What would happen if a tyre blew at 150km? An inexperienced/drink driver roaring along at 145km?

We need more visible gardai - if drivers thought they had a chance of being stopped / tax/insurance checked etc. drivers wouldn't take the chance of being on the road - also the penalties need to be much tougher - no licence lose the car permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

What would happen if a tyre blew at 150km? An inexperienced/drink driver roaring along at 145km?

We need more visible gardai - if drivers thought they had a chance of being stopped / tax/insurance checked etc. drivers wouldn't take the chance of being on the road - also the penalties need to be much tougher - no licence lose the car permanently.

You do realise that the ones without insurance, licence etc will only stop when in prison, they couldn't give a fiddler's....
    Some get caught twice or more in the same day sure, in a different car or even when the car is retrieved.

You do realise that the ones without insurance, licence etc will only stop when in prison, they couldn't give a fiddler's....
    Some get caught twice or more in the same day sure, in a different car or even when the car is retrieved.

Then throw them in jail - clearly the current penalties aren't working and a high percentage of drivers on the road are unlicensed, cars untaxed, no NCT no insurance - its nuts.

Doing the same thing and expecting a different result is stupid - to change the mindset, make it much tougher but Ireland is soft on penalties.

This is what happens when you give people driving licences, rather than employ more examiners and then allow people to drive on learner permits for years. The powers that be have created this disaster with their lacksidaisical attitude - much harder to change the mindset of people now as they have an expectation of just getting into a car and driving, regardless of the licensing laws.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Probably the same thing if the tyre blew at the speed limit. Also driving a 20 km/hr over the speed limit doesnt mean that you driving in some different level.

Not necessarily, generally, the faster you are going the less control you would have.

Some people have better control of fast cars than others but the laws have to try and encompass everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What percentage of our road fatalities are caused by excess speed alone on Motorways?
    I don't know the answer but i'd assume it's a tiny percentage and most of the accident blackspots are not on Motorways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭easyvision

What percentage of our road fatalities are caused by excess speed alone on Motorways?
    I don't know the answer but i'd assume it's a tiny percentage and most of the accident blackspots are not on Motorways.

Exactly I’ve never bought into speed in a straight line is dangerous! Amount of times you could be going 120 and someone decides to pull out in front of you going 90-100, that’s what’s dangerous. Lack of observation... not the speed itself. You can go quite safely at 150km/h in a straight line.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

easyvision wrote: »
    Exactly I’ve never bought into speed in a straight line is dangerous! Amount of times you could be going 120 and someone decides to pull out in front of you going 90-100, that’s what’s dangerous. Lack of observation... not the speed itself. You can go quite safely at 150km/h in a straight line.

I've noticed this is happening an awful lot lately. Fukers never ever look in their mirrors. I've also noticed it happens more and more with HGV drivers. Companies are paying peanuts and getting monkeys to drive they're lorries.

I've noticed this is happening an awful lot lately. Fukers never ever look in their mirrors. I've also noticed it happens more and more with HGV drivers. Companies are paying peanuts and getting monkeys to drive they're lorries.

It seems people have lost the ability to notice the car is going faster than them. Wait 5 seconds and let me pass then pull out?! I’ve had to slam my brakes on multiple times only for the to move left again 2 seconds later, could have waited 5 seconds and not nearly caused a crash

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It seems people have lost the ability to notice the car is going faster than them. Wait 5 seconds and let me pass then pull out?! I’ve had to slam my brakes on multiple times only for the to move left again 2 seconds later, could have waited 5 seconds and not nearly caused a crash

If you are going at 100 km/hr, the car doing 150 km/hr is going 50% faster than you. If you pull out to overtake a truck doing 90 km/hr, the guy doing 150 km/h will be up your tail pipe in no time, no matter how much you look. He might be behind a slow (120 km/h car) behind you out of sight.

The sight lines on motorways are designed for 120 km/h, not 150 km/h. Add traffic, rain, or other bad weather and disaster is beckoning.

You can thank the Jaguar E Type for speed limits on motorways (in the UK) because they were testing the E Type on the M1 at night doing 150 MPH. As a result, speed limits were introduced as a safety measure.

• Advertisement

If you are going at 100 km/hr, the car doing 150 km/hr is going 50% faster than you. If you pull out to overtake a truck doing 90 km/hr, the guy doing 150 km/h will be up your tail pipe in no time, no matter how much you look. He might be behind a slow (120 km/h car) behind you out of sight.

The sight lines on motorways are designed for 120 km/h, not 150 km/h. Add traffic, rain, or other bad weather and disaster is beckoning.

You can thank the Jaguar E Type for speed limits on motorways (in the UK) because they were testing the E Type on the M1 at night doing 150 MPH. As a result, speed limits were introduced as a safety measure.

Motorways should be 130/140 anyway. 120 on slot of motorways doesn’t feel very fast. Feels like you’re not moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Damien360

My theory is those safe to change lane indications on the mirror of a lot of new cars are part of the problem. The blind spot monitor. I'm convinced people are relying on those which are fine for low speed queues but are not designed to catch the car coming at speed from behind. So they are looking in thier mirror for the little orange light and if it's not there, it must be safe.

HGV's continue to be the best on the road. You get the odd ass but by and large they are fantastic. Goods HGV'S being best and then it gets steadily worse until you get the site dump truck guys who are useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Speedline

Motorways should be 130/140 anyway. 120 on slot of motorways doesn’t feel very fast. Feels like you’re not moving.

Personally I'd love that. Putting the sensible hat on though, do you think a Daewoo Matiz with 5 on board doing 140kph in the rain is safe? Or 86 year old Doris in her Hyundai i10 gunning it like she's late for mass!?

Unfortunately the rules are there to cover everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I see the Gardaí do this thing now where they post noteworthy offences on their twitter account.
    Like this recent example
    https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1363456235270328320?s=19

Unregistered Users

Speedline wrote: »
    Personally I'd love that. Putting the sensible hat on though, do you think a Daewoo Matiz with 5 on board doing 140kph in the rain is safe? Or 86 year old Doris in her Hyundai i10 gunning it like she's late for mass!?

Unfortunately the rules are there to cover everyone.

The rules are set to be as reasonable as possible. However, no one is obliged to go at speed limit when/where is not safe to do so, for whatever reason. Common sense. :)

Can someone explain why we don't use the speed limits of 70, 90 and 110kph like they do in some other European countries?

Shirley it would give more choice to those setting the speed limits - sometimes the limit of 60kph is just too slow for some roads and 100 is just too fast for others. France brings the motorway limit down to 110 in bad weather from a much more reasonable 130kph under normal conditions- that's using your loaf.

Unregistered Users

Can someone explain why we don't use the speed limits of 70, 90 and 110kph like they do in some other European countries?

[...]

That's surely beyond explanation. It's not a rocket science at all, saw that sort of different limits on different roads (or even short-ish parts of) all over the continent. Works fine.

joujoujou wrote: »
    That's surely beyond explanation. It's not a rocket science at all, saw that sort of different limits on different roads (or even short-ish parts of) all over the continent. Works fine.

I'm looking for the reason why Ireland doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭newirishman

Shirley it would give more choice to those setting the speed limits - sometimes the limit of 60kph is just too slow for some roads and 100 is just too fast for others. France brings the motorway limit down to 110 in bad weather from a much more reasonable 130kph under normal conditions- that's using your loaf.

Why not 80, 100, 130 like Austria for example?

Irish motorways are in general not build for much faster than 150, so a 120 speed limit makes sense.

Why not 80, 100, 130 like Austria for example?

Irish motorways are in general not build for much faster than 150, so a 120 speed limit makes sense.

That wasn't my question. We have 80- we have 100kph speed limits.

We don't have 70, 90, 110kph speed limits.

Anyway, I'm probably at risk at putting this thread off-topic which is not my intention. Obviously the answer isn't forthcoming here.

• Advertisement

That wasn't my question. We have 80- we have 100kph speed limits.

We don't have 70, 90, 110kph speed limits.

Anyway, I'm probably at risk at putting this thread off-topic which is not my intention. Obviously the answer isn't forthcoming here.

My only thought for this is, this is what were closest to MPH when converted..... eg 30MPH-50KM etc etc, they went with whatever was closest to our existing 30, 40, 50 60, 70MPH limits back in the day

Maybe, just my reasoning anyway :)

My only thought for this is, this is what were closest to MPH when converted..... eg 30MPH-50KM etc etc, they went with whatever was closest to our existing 30, 40, 50 60, 70MPH limits back in the day

Maybe, just my reasoning anyway :)

Yep, makes total sense for the time. Might be an idea to introduce these other speed limits now? And also, my KPH speedo doesn't have "50" on it- it has "40" and "60" - so it's not like it's trying to conform to any standard speedo layout- no real excuse not to have these other speed limits at this point- we all know how to read our speedometer and stay within the speed limit- and as for the amount of UK cars here with MPH speedos- I just can't think of an excuse not to have them

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

M4 warming up on the M4:

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1363618217319690242

MM's is black right? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭newmember2

bazz26 wrote: »
    M4 warming up on the M4:

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1363618217319690242

MM's is black right? :)

I'm not getting why on some of the excess speed ones it will say 'driver arrested' and others not, and it doesn't seem to be due to how much the driver was over the limit or what speed they were actually travelling at either.

Unregistered Users

^^ That's up to Gards discretion, current road/weather conditions, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭JustARandomGuy

So in the M4's case he was just salty :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭kirving

While I know the limit is 120km/h, the guys doing 150 through traffic are more of a problem than the guy on his own doing 190. Hence the discretion.

Unregistered Users

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

Advertisement