Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda traffic on Twitter 3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Why get a full drivers licence then? If you are a learner you are not qualified to drive a car unaccompanied and yes, it is a big deal and no I’ve never driven when I was not licensed many years ago - no other country IN THE WORLD allows a non licensed driver drive a car.
    Get a licence if you need to drive like the rest of us.

There are still drivers who got the amnesty and have never passed a test. Those drivers have learned by experience, but some do not have sufficient knowledge of the rules of the road. I would be in favour of all such drivers having to do a mandatory number of lessons and a modified driving test to make sure they are fit to drive - all at no cost to them.

There should also be an eye test at least every decade. There are huge numbers of drivers with defective sight driving around - some with defective night vision.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

There are still drivers who got the amnesty and have never passed a test. Those drivers have learned by experience, but some do not have sufficient knowledge of the rules of the road. I would be in favour of all such drivers having to do a mandatory number of lessons and a modified driving test to make sure they are fit to drive - all at no cost to them.

There should also be an eye test at least every decade. There are huge numbers of drivers with defective sight driving around - some with defective night vision.

People are still complaining about something that happened over 40 years and using it to justify people breading the law today.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

People are still complaining about something that happened over 40 years and using it to justify people breading the law today.

That is not what is being said at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Why get a full drivers licence then? If you are a learner you are not qualified to drive a car unaccompanied and yes, it is a big deal and no I’ve never driven when I was not licensed many years ago - no other country IN THE WORLD allows a non licensed driver drive a car.

I would agree normally. But there is no way to get a full license at the moment or for most of the last year. And when they reopen you are probably looking at another year of a waiting list.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

That is not what is being said at all.

You posted it in response to a post on unaccompanied drivers. If that wasn't the point what was?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

So someone driving for forty ( or maybe more ) years without incident should have to do a test ?
    If nonsense like this was to be introduced then these people would simply keep driving without being tested.I would go further and say that no road traffic law would be obeyed .
    If laws become absurd then nobody pays any heed to them .

How do you know that I am not ‘ like the rest of us ‘
    Can a person not now have an opinion unless the issue impacts them directly ?
    If I am a full licence holder can I not comment on the number of learners who have no choice but to drive unaccompanied ?

So someone driving for forty ( or maybe more ) years without incident should have to do a test ?
    If nonsense like this was to be introduced then these people would simply keep driving without being tested.I would go further and say that no road traffic law would be obeyed .
    If laws become absurd then nobody pays any heed to them .

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Speedline

GNWoodd wrote: »
    If I am a full licence holder can I not comment on the number of learners who have no choice but to drive unaccompanied ?

They do have a choice. They can go and buy a 49cc moped and drive unaccompanied all they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

jhegarty wrote: »
    I would agree normally. But there is no way to get a full license at the moment or for most of the last year. And when they reopen you are probably looking at another year of a waiting list.
    That's true at the minute, but the idea that learner drivers somehow deserve a free pass to ignore the law long predates the pandemic.

• Advertisement

How do you know they have been driving for forty years without incident? - or even driving at all? I know someone who got one of these licences and never drove at all - eventually letting it lapse.

An anyway this is off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

How do you know they have been driving for forty years without incident? - or even driving at all? I know someone who got one of these licences and never drove at all - eventually letting it lapse.

An anyway this is off topic.

The fact that that person thought about driving should make it an offence
    They should have their car impounded, be tarred and feathered and be disqualified for 200 years.

Unregistered Users

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

That n52 will never be left without a speed check again after the crash last week

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It's been a while since I've been up that neck of the woods but wouldn't M1/N33 make more sense for Dundalk to Ardee?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

That n52 will never be left without a speed check again after the crash last week

That's a different road. The N52 v the N33.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

flazio wrote: »
    It's been a while since I've been up that neck of the woods but wouldn't M1/N33 make more sense for Dundalk to Ardee?

Depends on where in Dundalk you're starting from.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Learner drivers need to do whatever they did before a car to get around.

I was going to say they should 'pretend' they don't have a license at all, but I realised its not even pretending, they don't.

Ah my mistake it was a crash on the n33 alright not n52.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Then you wait cos that’s the law - most of these drivers caught without licences are not 18 year olds - in other words, they could have taken lessons and got their licences after their 18th birthday and didn’t - no point moaning about it now.

If they have to wait, then they wait

That ‘you’ is a universal you

In other words, if someone needs to drive then someone gets a licence like all the other someone’s.

Is that better?

There is a huge difference between the speed and capabilities of the cars from 40 years ago and now and also there are so many more cars on the roads. To even contemplate doing that nonsense again would be madness.

I actually think that all drivers should have to retest - say every 20 years - I got my licence on my 18th birthday (bike and car) and now driving almost 40 years. I’ve probably got loads of bad habits and could do with an update of new rules / regs - I for one would benefit of a retest.

For clarity I’ve had 1 accident in 38 years, and caught speeding once (last year) and have only ever lost 3 penalty points in that time.

Unregistered Users

• Registered Users Posts: 11,584 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

joujoujou wrote: »

A bag of ice and a f*cking decanter :D weapons-grade stupidity

Those Disqualified and No licence appear to get away 75% of the time, and 95% in Cavan.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/few-motorists-convicted-for-driving-with-no-licence-1.4534630

Disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Pops_20

joujoujou wrote: »

Poor Skyline. I can't get over the people in the comments always baying for blood over something like Motor Tax ' "Crush the car, tear up his licence, throw him in jail!"

I find it funny that a car gets seized for no motor tax, meanwhile for an actual safety related offence such as speeding, you generally get a fine and are off on you merry way.

The comments on any bmw caught speeding its always crush the car. Its anything they're jealous of

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

Advertisement