Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda traffic on Twitter 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Only one set of points apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Being detected in Dundalk makes me wonder what juristic ton they are from.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

What a hugely ignorant statement.

If there's sufficient alcohol STILL in your system that you fail the exam then there's still enough to impair your driving. That's how it works. It's a test that's tailored to each individual and their ability to absorb alcohol.

The marijuana test works the same way. It's not a drug test like workplaces. It's the amount still in your system at the time of testing. If it's detectable, it's effecting you.

I love this one !
    If an exam ( sic ) result returns a reading of one microgramme of alcohol per one hundred millilitres of breath , the alcohol is detectable but would hardly affect your driving now would it .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,486 ✭✭✭Damien360

GNWoodd wrote: »
    I love this one !
    If an exam ( sic ) result returns a reading of one microgramme of alcohol per one hundred millilitres of breath , the alcohol is detectable but would hardly affect your driving now would it .

You are not getting convicted or even arrested for 1mg alcohol next morning. If you are over next morning, you are over the legal limit. You can argue the level at which that is set as everyone is different on how it effects them but it’s still the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I love this one !

1 microgram per 100 millilitres of breath would not cause you to fail. the post you replied to very specifically said
    f there's sufficient alcohol STILL in your system that you fail the exam then there's still enough to impair your driving.

• Advertisement

I love this one !

Continue to dig.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Witcher wrote: »
    Only one set of points apply.

Wow. That's a ridiculous setup.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

h3000 wrote: »
    Wow. That's a ridiculous setup.

wait until you hear that you can serve concurrent driving bans as punishment for being caught driving while banned...

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭General Toilet

And the same with prison sentences.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The marijuana test works the same way. It's not a drug test like workplaces. It's the amount still in your system at the time of testing. If it's detectable, it's effecting you.

The test for THC is a bit more debateable, apparently it's detectable for much longer. One large study by the the US Highway Traffic Safety Administration found that once you controlled for age, gender, race and alcohol there was no significant difference between detectable levels of THC and crash risk. The science is still murky on correct levels for detection of impairment.

• Advertisement

1 microgram per 100 millilitres of breath would not cause you to fail. the post you replied to very specifically said

I was responding to the last line of the post - “ if it is detectable it is effecting you “
    As in my example , a BRac of 1 ug / 100 ml disproves that - it is detectable but not effecting you .
    And yes I know it won’t cause you to fail although it wouldn’t surprise me given how the law is currently being implemented .

I was responding to the last line of the post - “ if it is detectable it is effecting you “
    As in my example , a BRac of 1 ug / 100 ml disproves that - it is detectable but not effecting you .
    And yes I know it won’t cause you to fail although it wouldn’t surprise me given how the law is currently being implemented .

well then perhaps you need to consider a sentence in the context of the whole post. you are arguing against something nobody has said.

liamog wrote: »
    The test for THC is a bit more debateable, apparently it's detectable for much longer. One large study by the the US Highway Traffic Safety Administration found that once you controlled for age, gender, race and alcohol there was no significant difference between detectable levels of THC and crash risk. The science is still murky on correct levels for detection of impairment.

I'm always open to honest studies but again, being detectable isn't the issue. The tests allow for limits and situations. They aren't set to fail you for just having a detectable amount.

This the actual test that will convict you isn't a simple 'found' however I'm not a qualifed operator so I can't talk in detail about it.

I'm always open to honest studies but again, being detectable isn't the issue. The tests allow for limits and situations. They aren't set to fail you for just having a detectable amount.

This the actual test that will convict you isn't a simple 'found' however I'm not a qualifed operator so I can't talk in detail about it.

Do you know if the THC tests can contradict one another ?
    In the area of alcohol exceedence the result of the urine sample analysis has been known to differ substantially from the evidenzer result .

Do you know if the THC tests can contradict one another ?
    In the area of alcohol exceedence the result of the urine sample analysis has been known to differ substantially from the evidenzer result .

Maybe it's because one is measuring micrograms of alcohol per 100ml of breath and the other miligrams of alcohol per 100ml of urine.

There's no way out of it for you GNWoodd, just gotta serve that ban.

Maybe it's because one is measuring micrograms of alcohol per 100ml of breath and the other miligrams of alcohol per 100ml of urine.

There's no way out of it for you GNWoodd, just gotta serve that ban.[/

What if one measurement was below the limit and one was above ?

Is it a case of what comes first in time is best in law ?

Only one sample can be taken so we'll never know I suppose.

Keep your snout out of the bag and the pint out of the lámh and you won't have any issues.

There's no way out of it for you GNWoodd, just gotta serve that ban.

the sample taken at the station is the only one used in evidence. the breath sample is only indicative, not evidential.

Only one sample can be taken so we'll never know I suppose.

Keep your snout out of the bag and the pint out of the lámh and you won't have any issues.

You are incorrect in the first paragraph but provide good advice in the second

Explain how I'm wrong so lol

• Advertisement

Explain how I'm wrong so lol

for the breathalyser two readings are taken and an average is the value used for prosecution purposes. for blood and urine samples only one sample is taken. that sample is split in two and the person chooses which one they take for themselves and which one is submitted for testing.

for the breathalyser two readings are taken and an average is the value used for prosecution purposes. for blood and urine samples only one sample is taken. that sample is split in two and the person chooses which one they take for themselves and which one is submitted for testing.

I'm fully aware of all that but for the purposes of the act only one requirement can be made of you to provide blood, urine or breath.

GNWoodd seems to think more than one evidential sample can be taken.

the sample taken at the station is the only one used in evidence. the breath sample is only indicative, not evidential.

Samples ( plural )
    Up to four samples can be taken from the motorist ;
    One at the roadside which is indicative only .
    At stations with the evidenzer two samples of breath are taken and if they aren’t happy with these they can take a urine OR blood

Samples ( plural )
    At stations with the evidenzer two samples of breath are taken and if they aren’t happy with these they can take a urine OR blood

No they can't, blatant lie.

Samples ( plural )

a urine OR blood sample is only taken if there is an issue using the breathalyser or the breath sample is borderline.

That is incorrect . It is not an average of the two specimens . It is the lower of the two which is then adjusted downwards by 17.5 per cent as per the manufacturer s instructions to give what is then taken as evidence . In reality this is all automated with the result being the s 13 printout .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,514 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

joujoujou wrote: »

They need to just have a week of towing every single car illegally parked here away to sort this problem. The FCPN is nothing to some people.

Advertisement