Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda traffic on Twitter 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Speedline

would love to know the reason they invest so much time into the N18 in Clare

Maybe it's just because they're one of the ones who constantly send in pictures but if feels like that particular bit of tarmac is one of the more policed ones in the whole country

nobody has ever died on it in any crash except for a truck and a cyclist which isn't exactly speed related. But willing to have my mind changed on that but I have tried to look it up before. There seems to be no reason except the handy 100 -> 120km/h zone transition to do people all day long at

and all of the pictures submitted are between cratloe and drumline where there are already I think at least 2 gosafe spots regularly used

strange as well how 7 series guy was arrested and car seized for 158km/h which wouldn't be standard at all, yet their headline is still speed and not insurance/drink related.

Never been caught there myself so no axe to grind in that regard, I just genuinely think it's a total wasted opportunity to make other roads safer while they sit catching people transitioning between 100 and 120

Well wouldn't you think people that use that road would cop on and stick to the limit knowing there's regular speed checks. But no. So why shouldn't Gardai police it. They're right to.

At one stage I drove that road every day from Limerick to Ennis and back. You would see lads flying even in heavy evening traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Speedline wrote: »
    Well wouldn't you think people that use that road would cop on and stick to the limit knowing there's regular speed checks. But no. So why shouldn't Gardai police it. They're right to.

At one stage I drove that road every day from Limerick to Ennis and back. You would see lads flying even in heavy evening traffic.

Would you not think there's any benefit to using a limited resource in places where it would have a better impact on safety?

"see lads flying in heavy traffic" literally any road in the country.

can you not think of any other road that needs more enforcement? really? this particular road of essentially motorway spec is so dangerous that it needs 365 enforcement of the 100 limit over and above any other 100k road in clare that would never see a guard? really?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Speedline

Would you not think there's any benefit to using a limited resource in places where it would have a better impact on safety?

"see lads flying in heavy traffic" literally any road in the country.

can you not think of any other road that needs more enforcement? really? this particular road of essentially motorway spec is so dangerous that it needs 365 enforcement of the 100 limit over and above any other 100k road in clare that would never see a guard? really?

Yes really. If there was no one speeding on that road, Gardai and gosafe would move elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

UK reg 7 series near Limerick speeding I'd be confident saying culture Boss...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sundodger5

The N18 is a drag strip.
    As for the 100km limit the on ramps are really short (previous discussion here)
    Hard to get up to 100 never mind 120 before joining.

• Advertisement

Never said it should be a 120 zone I said it has a huge amount more enforcement than most other short stretches of road and that there haven't been any fatal crashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭LeBash

strange as well how 7 series guy was arrested and car seized for 158km/h which wouldn't be standard at all, yet their headline is still speed and not insurance/drink related.

I'm guessing attitude of the driver wouldn't be put on on twitter and may have played a part in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

would love to know the reason they invest so much time into the N18 in Clare

Maybe it's just because they're one of the ones who constantly send in pictures but if feels like that particular bit of tarmac is one of the more policed ones in the whole country

nobody has ever died on it in any crash except for a truck and a cyclist which isn't exactly speed related. But willing to have my mind changed on that but I have tried to look it up before. There seems to be no reason except the handy 100 -> 120km/h zone transition to do people all day long at

and all of the pictures submitted are between cratloe and drumline where there are already I think at least 2 gosafe spots regularly used

Never been caught there myself so no axe to grind in that regard, I just genuinely think it's a total wasted opportunity to make other roads safer while they sit catching people transitioning between 100 and 120

That dual carriageway is the gift that keeps on giving for the Traffic Corp.

It's a 100kph zone from Limerick to Shannon airport yet feels like a motorway so it's very easy to break the speed limit. There are plenty on/off ramps as well as laybys and bends to position speed traps along it. Even years ago when it wasn't fully dual carriageway it was a prime location for speed traps. You really need to be a stranger to that part of the world to not know that your bound to encounter a traffic corp car or bike doing speed checks. Drivers just seem to make it way too easy for them to make their quota of issuing tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,511 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Would there be an official or unofficial super league amongst Gardai as to who has issued the most amount of fines for season 2021?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

bazz26 wrote: »
    That dual carriageway is the gift that keeps on giving for the Traffic Corp.

It's a 100kph zone from Limerick to Shannon airport yet feels like a motorway so it's very easy to break the speed limit. There are plenty on/off ramps as well as laybys and bends to position speed traps along it. Even years ago when it wasn't fully dual carriageway it was a prime location for speed traps. You really need to be a stranger to that part of the world to not know that your bound to encounter a traffic corp car or bike doing speed checks. Drivers just seem to make it way too easy for them to make their quota of issuing tickets.

But why is it not 120 ? It was built by the same company at the same time as the remainder of the M 18 . No difference in road surfacing etc
    Maybe it is easier for the locals to get planning if entrance is to a 100 rather than 120
    Issuing fines here is just racking up the numbers . Has been obvious for years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

GNWoodd wrote: »
    But why is it not 120 ? It was built by the same company at the same time as the remainder of the M 18 . No difference in road surfacing etc
    Maybe it is easier for the locals to get planning if entrance is to a 100 rather than 120

The reason it's not a motorway is because that stretch doesn't meet motorway criteria, it wasn't ever built as a motorway but rather upgraded to dual carriageway in sections over time. There are still a lot of entrances onto the road as well as houses built decades ago that are adjacent to it with direct access onto the road. The section that is motorway (M18) was a brand new route designed and built as a motorway less than two decades ago with proper on/off ramps and no houses or farm land with direct access to the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

bazz26 wrote: »
    It's a 100kph zone from Limerick to Shannon airport yet feels like a motorway so it's very easy to break the speed limit.

Glad the Guards are out for this reason alone. Anyone who makes an assumptions like that should be ticketed as much as possible until they learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,422 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

GNWoodd wrote: »

nothing to do with planning. the houses predate the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I hate to contribute to this derailment, but it can't be upgraded to a motorway because there is no alternative route for other traffic that can't use a motorway.
    You come across the same problems on the Athlone bypass and sections of the N11 where because of the Wicklow mountains there just isn't enough room for two routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,486 ✭✭✭Damien360

flazio wrote: »
    I hate to contribute to this derailment, but it can't be upgraded to a motorway because there is no alternative route for other traffic that can't use a motorway.
    You come across the same problems on the Athlone bypass and sections of the N11 where because of the Wicklow mountains there just isn't enough room for two routes.

Athlone bypass road design has too many entrances to ever be motorway and therefore 100kmph makes sense. The N11 drop to 60kmph is ridiculous and is only there to allow a petrol station exist. Close the petrol station and you solve the problem. There is a 100kmph stretch after that which could be argued that could be 120kmph long before it does become 120 just before Rathnew exit. N7 is another one with 3 lanes from Naas to Dublin. It’s very busy at peak times and maybe a variable speed limit would work best here. M50 should never be anything but 100kmph as the number of entrances are ridiculous with its use primarily as way to circumvent congestion rather than a destination motorway (if that makes sense).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

It takes an absolute degenerate to park in a disabled space.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,511 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It takes an absolute degenerate to park in a disabled space.

The offenders should be publically named at the end of Crimecall each month.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

Unregistered Users

Unregistered Users

Unregistered Users

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Registered Users Posts: 40,422 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

maybe the guy with the saw thought he was Ben Hur.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭flazio

"Unintentional", um yeah right.

are you saying they did that on purpose?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,179 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

it was possibly on purpose, some people really hate people who use bicycles, remember that video of people in a van pushing a cyclist over recently

• Advertisement
Advertisement