Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best mini-games?

Options
  • 30-05-2020 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭

Currently playing through Red Dead Redemption 2 and loving the mini-games (poker, dominoes) The first rdr was great too with liars dice (Shame it's not in rdr2)

But got me thinking what are some of the best mini games in games?

Shenmue comes to mind. Anything else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Currently playing through Red Dead Redemption 2 and loving the mini-games (poker, dominoes) The first rdr was great too with liars dice (Shame it's not in rdr2)

But got me thinking what are some of the best mini games in games?

Shenmue comes to mind. Anything else?

Loved Liars Dice in RDR1 as well. But I gotta give my vote to Gwent in The Witcher 3. Reached a point in TW3 where the main story quest was annoying the hell out of me. The main reason I kept going through it was to meet more people who I could play Gwent with and get rare cards. It's such a simple game but when you build up some good tactics it can be a real battle.

The Cabaret Club in Yakuza 0 was addictive as hell too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Suikoden 2's iron chef game could have been a standalone game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Keep hearing about Gwent actually

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Keep hearing about Gwent actually

Not sure what the standalone version of it is like. If anything they may have gone too deep and expansive with it that it loses what was enjoyable about it. Was tempted to check it out at some point. The in-game version of it in TW3 was just excellent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I played Thronebreaker which I wasn't a fan of and more prefer the simpler version of Gwent

I actually enjoyed the dice games from the previous Witcher games and also Sabaac from SW: The Old Republic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

As a stand alone Gwent game fan I'm finding the old version in the Witcher painful tbh, it would be great if they could combine the 2 - but Gwent has evolved so much since the original over the years I actually find the in game version more confusing :/ The stand alone is gorgeous, especially when you have premium versions of the cards, the artwork is stunning

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Even though they were basically early Nintendo DS tech demos the mini games in Mario 64 DS were quite enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

The mini games in Mario party !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Came here to mention Gwent. So good they made a stand alone version which is the best card game on the market that doesn't cater to normies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Think I'm finally sold on playing The Witcher 3 now. Was always in the back catalog. But if this Gwent seems awesome it's another reason to push it to the top of the pile. A great game I hear as it is.

I remember the old Shenmue street games. The one with the wooden board, nails and ball comes to mind. Good times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

Pocket Circuit Racing in Yakuza 0 was fantastic. And the cabaret club. Also the baseball in Yakuza 6. And the UFO catchers. And the fishing mini game where you end up punching a shark in the face. And the internet cafe one that defies explanation.

Basically all of Yakuza.

Also, Triple Triad in FFVIII.

My experience of Gwent is that I played it once in Witcher 3, didn't get it, and never touched it again. I later played Thronebreaker and really enjoyed it. After that I tried the standalone Gwent game, but the rules were slightly different and my deck was more limited and I quickly lost interest.

quokula wrote: »

My experience of Gwent is that I played it once in Witcher 3, didn't get it, and never touched it again. I later played Thronebreaker and really enjoyed it. After that I tried the standalone Gwent game, but the rules were slightly different and my deck was more limited and I quickly lost interest.

It's changed a number of times since launch, a few updates killed the game a bit for me too but others made it so much better [don't miss the days of invincible gold cards for one!] - CDPR are very generous with in game freebies and it's not hard to build up a decent starter deck - as they give you a not so bad deck for each faction to start. Couple of weeks casual play should see you able to craft a very competitive deck tbh. If you do ever decide to give it another shot that is

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Insurance fraud in Saints Row.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    The mini games in Mario party !

Also the mini games in Pokemon Stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Obviously its the pipe game from Bioshock :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Greyfox

If Mercenaries counts then I'd put that as the best mini game by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Darts in Deadly Premonition has no right to be half as compelling as it comes across. You've to manage a multiplier while controlling your breathing/anxiety (I know) or your aim'll will become erratic and useless, ruling out higher scores. Inevitably it'll come down to both you and your avatar trying not to lose your **** on the last shot- pretty unique little distraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,918 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

How about Gradius in Legend of the Mystical Ninja? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm remember loving Fusion Frenzy back in the day. An entire game of mini-games. You could add Mario Party too, but I suppose they're not specific to the title. Shenmue does stand out too, along with Yakuza.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

Enjoyed gwent so much I actually play it with the real cards my wife picked me up on ebay

• Advertisement

recyclops wrote: »
    Enjoyed gwent so much I actually play it with the real cards my wife picked me up on ebay

I fell in and out of love with Gwent since Beta, but I think it's in a good spot now, new expansion end of the month!

Never tried the physical side of the game, I would say that's really cool if you have a decent collection!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

The slots in Celadon City in Pokémon. If you did it with the rhythm of the song on the machine on the second row, third one down, you could tap it at just the right time ago you won big every go for ages until you'd have to reset.

Might get an GBA emulator for my phone and play it right now...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

FFVIII - Triple Triad.

Love how to could exploit it and breeze through the real game because you won a few cards worth refining.

Resident Evil 4 - Merencaries

Maybe more of an extra mode than minigame, but like, it's class.

Advertisement