Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Assembly

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭obi604

krissovo wrote: »
    My construction is just about done, I have been cursing jungle gym all day. Stupidly I added a tube slide which has more bolts than a big bolt factory and a pig to line up but the kids just had a wild 30 minutes of pure joy and exercise so worth it in the end, especially as we bought this instead of a summer holiday this year.

It was a bit of a mistake letting them slide as now a couple of the legs has sunk and level is a bit off but I will be putting in anchors over the next few days if work allows.

514975.jpg

Makes mine look like child’s play. Looks tricky. Great job.

obi604 wrote: »
    Issue is I am in a rented house. Landlord has no probs with play house itself, but not sure about digging holes and pouring concrete.

It also says to anchor the bottom of the slide with 2 of these metal spikes - but I won’t be doing this I think.

Thinking out loud, wonder could I use **all the 4 spikes** to anchor the main playhouse Structure and just anchor them in the grass.

Still undecided about this. Don’t really want to go digging up lawn, I know I can do it in a way to avoid issues but still.

They used it for about 4 hours yesterday and not a bother, no rocking etc.

Now I know if a storm Etc comes it’s a different story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Issue is I am in a rented house. Landlord has no probs with play house itself, but not sure about digging holes and pouring concrete.

It also says to anchor the bottom of the slide with 2 of these metal spikes - but I won’t be doing this I think.

Thinking out loud, wonder could I use **all the 4 spikes** to anchor the main playhouse Structure and just anchor them in the grass.

Heavy duty trampoline anchors?

image.png

Lumen wrote: »
    Heavy duty trampoline anchors?

image.png

Thanks. I actually happen to have trampoline anchors already from an old trampoline.

Not sure how to fit it though. Do the anchors Twist straight Down or at an angle?

And theN best way of tying strap to the frame?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

@obi604 I'n really not sure you need anything to stop your Jungle Gym from blowing away? Provided you feel its 100% safe for the kids I wouldn't worry to much. If you had solid cabin walls at the top like krissovo's then yes you'd need a good ground anchor for the wind. I suspect krissovo can get away without ground anchors because his has a much wider base.

I make the odd chicken/foul house and I've had plenty blow over but they are the ones with much more area to catch the wind than yours.

If we have a bad storm due I have ground anchors either side of some of the chicken sheds and just throw a ratchet strap over the top and tie them down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Thanks. I actually happen to have trampoline anchors already from an old trampoline.

Not sure how to fit it though. Do the anchors Twist straight Down or at an angle?

And theN best way of tying strap to the frame?

The anchors should be in-line with the strap, so that the strap pulls along the axis of the anchor.

To reduce trip hazards I would probably find the lowest horizontal member and then put the anchor in underneath or directly next to it, and then wrap the strap around that member.

GinSoaked wrote: »
    @obi604 I'n really not sure you need anything to stop your Jungle Gym from blowing away? Provided you feel its 100% safe for the kids I wouldn't worry to much. If you had solid cabin walls at the top like krissovo's then yes you'd need a good ground anchor for the wind. I suspect krissovo can get away without ground anchors because his has a much wider base.

I make the odd chicken/foul house and I've had plenty blow over but they are the ones with much more area to catch the wind than yours.

If we have a bad storm due I have ground anchors either side of some of the chicken sheds and just throw a ratchet strap over the top and tie them down.

Thanks for the input.

As you say, the structure is not solid With no walls and the wind can go through it no bother. Plus well sheltered.

But got me thinking, Is the main purpose of anchors for the wind or to stop wobbling or possibly toppling when kids are on it?

It does not really budge - so far anyway.

Earlier I hammered down 2 spikes And screwed them to the 2 uprights. Packed in with soil etc.

Seems to be solid enough, herself is happy about it anyways; )

So I think should be fine. If a storm came I would anchor it properly.

Thanks for the input.

As you say, the structure is not solid With no walls and the wind can go through it no bother. Plus well sheltered.

But got me thinking, Is the main purpose of anchors for the wind or to stop wobbling or possibly toppling when kids are on it?

It does not really budge - so far anyway.

Earlier I hammered down 2 spikes And screwed them to the 2 uprights. Packed in with soil etc.

Seems to be solid enough, herself is happy about it anyways; )

So I think should be fine. If a storm came I would anchor it properly.

I've always thought the ground anchors where for the kids safety. Worst case scenario might be 3 of them all leaning out one side at the same time and rocking side to side. There's often a kid that thinks rocking these things while others are on it is a good idea so you have to make sure it won't go over.

• Advertisement

I've always thought the ground anchors where for the kids safety. Worst case scenario might be 3 of them all leaning out one side at the same time and rocking side to side. There's often a kid that thinks rocking these things while others are on it is a good idea so you have to make sure it won't go over.

Yeah. I’m not too sure what the main reason for these anchors in this setup.

Yeah. I’m not too sure what the main reason for these anchors in this setup.

Arse covering, if somehow the kids or even adults manage to tip that over and injure themselves then the company is covered if you didn't use the recommended ground anchors.

Its no different with shelf units and wardrobes nowadays you get wall anchors with all of them so the manufacturer is covered if you manage to pull one over.

Arse covering, if somehow the kids or even adults manage to tip that over and injure themselves then the company is covered if you didn't use the recommended ground anchors.

Its no different with shelf units and wardrobes nowadays you get wall anchors with all of them so the manufacturer is covered if you manage to pull one over.

True yeah, noted. All about CYA

I know this is in German but beat I could find.

What is the difference between these 2 drills.

1. A 12 V Parkside. PBHA 12 A1 35 Euro.
    https://www.lidl-service.com/cps/rde/xchg/SID-40DC3D23-3C0CE055/lsp/hs.xsl/product.html?id=4278674353&title=Cordless+Hammer+Drill+PBHA+12+A1&count=1

2. A 20V Parkside. PABH 20-li B2 60 Euro.
    https://www.lidl-service.com/cps/rde/xchg/SID-6A615408-A62CF1D1/lsp/hs.xsl/product.html?id=613688983&title=ACCUKLOPBOOR+PABH+20-Li+B2&count=1

I know one is a 12v and the other is a 20v but the specs look very alike.

Impact: 1 joule.
    Rate: 0-4800 on 12v. 0-5000 on 20v.
    Both are SDS.
    and the 12v comes with a nice chuck adapter.

Multiply the voltage of the battery by the amperage to compare the battery power.

More battery power will mean less recharging.

But the 12V doesn't come with a battery ?????

Multiply the voltage of the battery by the amperage to compare the battery power.

More battery power will mean less recharging.

But the 12V doesn't come with a battery ?????

Thanks.
    Ah ok. Doh. Didn’t even realise the lack of a battery.

So the 12v is 34.99 + battery 16.99 = 52 Euro.

So 20 V only 8 Euro dearer at 60 Euro.

Seems only difference really is battery size, all other stats seem the same.

• Advertisement

Thanks.
    Ah ok. Doh. Didn’t even realise the lack of a battery.

So the 12v is 34.99 + battery 16.99 = 52 Euro.

So 20 V only 8 Euro dearer at 60 Euro.

Seems only difference really is battery size, all other stats seem the same.

Is the 20v the better but here or are they more a less the same thing your getting ?

The higher voltage normally means more power is available to the motor.

20V tools don't really exist. The battery will provide 20V when its not powering anything, as soon as you start making it work the voltage drops to 18V. So 18V and 20V tools are comparable. In the US dewalts XR batteries are 20V but they are exactly the same as the 18V dewalt batteries sold in Europe and Ireland.

The higher voltage normally means more power is available to the motor.

20V tools don't really exist. The battery will provide 20V when its not powering anything, as soon as you start making it work the voltage drops to 18V. So 18V and 20V tools are comparable. In the US dewalts XR batteries are 20V but they are exactly the same as the 18V dewalt batteries sold in Europe and Ireland.

Noted. Which do you reckon of the above 2 is the Best Buy?

Think I'd go for the 20V one.

Batteries for both those are 2 Amp so basically 2 x 18 is more power than 2 x 12.

You can get 4 Amp batteries in the 12 V but I've not seen them.

Advertisement