Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any experienced builder's in limerick? Or some advice?

Options
  • 30-05-2020 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭

I'm stuck on my build. I've got most of it done but the be quiet pure base 500 dx manual is useless with regards the case cables for included fans, case usb c, etc

The mobo is msi x470 gaming plus max and all the fan cables have three pin holes but the mobo only has 4 pin fan options.

I can't figure out where some of the other bequiet case cables for USB, fans, etc go and I've stopped the build once I slightly bent a pin.

Head is wrecked.

Might leave it for a few weeks as I've watched everything on YouTube but can't make sense of the Bequiet cables and the manual is pretty useless.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

3 pins = Voltage controlled fans (Basic)
    4 pins = PWM fans, usually for CPU coolers (more advanced speed control)

Lets insert a picture for ease of troublshooting.... done. You can put a 3 pin on a 4pin, one pin is left exposed. The plastic slot on the edge should make sure you use the correct set of 3 pins. Your CPU cooler should have come with a 4 pin unless its an AIO water cooler.

13-144-266-V08.jpg

USB3 is bottom right of that picture. The USB A and C ports are together so they should be on the same cable.

Sounds like you almost have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

ED E wrote: »
    3 pins = Voltage controlled fans (Basic)
    4 pins = PWM fans, usually for CPU coolers (more advanced speed control)

Lets insert a picture for ease of troublshooting.... done. You can put a 3 pin on a 4pin, one pin is left exposed. The plastic slot on the edge should make sure you use the correct set of 3 pins. Your CPU cooler should have come with a 4 pin unless its an AIO water cooler.

13-144-266-V08.jpg

USB3 is bottom right of that picture. The USB A and C ports are together so they should be on the same cable.

Sounds like you almost have it.

Thanks so much for your help it's got the most of them sorted! Really appreciate the encouragement too.

Can't see the USB 2 cable at all. Head wrecking

The main ones I'm struggling with homes for are these three

fF6YB4Z.jpg

bldta0c.jpg

BHjiAZm.jpg

There's no USB C connector on that motherboard so you won't be able to use it. That 3 holed one is ARGB for the case and i can't see one of them on the mobo, just a standard 4 pin one which if you plug that one in it will fry it. The power switch, HDD led small cables should be illustrated in the mobo manual on where they go. (Very bottom right of the board).

There's no USB C connector on that motherboard so you won't be able to use it. That 3 holed one is ARGB for the case and i can't see one of them on the mobo, just a standard 4 pin one which if you plug that one in it will fry it. The power switch, HDD led small cables should be illustrated in the mobo manual on where they go. (Very bottom right of the board).

Thanks mate

I bought the board new before I had the spec of the new DX case.

Ill stop the build altogether now and just sell the board I think.

Painful lesson.

Im sure it's a nice board in a different case. I'll order something else instead but not much point continuing with the build and not being able to use the features of the case.

Really appreciate your help.

Cheers

Disassembly was much quicker.

Mother MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max board boxed up with receipt and ready for ebay.

Expensive lesson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The RGB can be controlled by the case, connection to motherboard is optional.

You can get an adapter cable for the USB-C top panel connector.

Just finish your build :)

I'm with KO here, you could well press on.

Most Mobos you buy won't have internal C, if anything they've one hidden away at the back where nobody can access it. Internal PCIE adapter would do dandy there.

Cheers guys. I think I took it apart in haste and wiped most of the factory thermal paste off the cpu :(

Its a bit annoying when you have cables left over and assume the mobo will take them.

Ya live and learn. I'll have to order paste and might see what x570 boards might fit the bill.

Easier the better for me. Between waiting for case and GPU, another week won't kill me I guess.

Any recommendation on paste or x570 with a usable Type C at front?

I might give this another attempt today. Putting it on Adverts is a forn of mental torture except for a few helpful lads from here. Cheers for the guidance and encouragement. I'll update if I get it build. :)

Although I took off much of the thermal paste on the cooler so probably not safe to assemble

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Yeah, better to get new thermal paste.

Or even splurge for a new cooler.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Yeah, better to get new thermal paste.

Or even splurge for a new cooler.

Thermal paste ordered but like many things on amazon, it's 10 days or more with prime :(

Looking for an AIO but was thinking of the stock cooler for a while.

The X72 was being heavily discounted a few weeks ago and I missed it. Not sure I thought the Dark Pro 4 was a massive air cooler when it arrived and probably not as tidy so it was sent back to Amazon. Too much choice I think. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Yeah I probably would just press on. The RGB cables don't even need connecting, you're not missing anything there. I never connect them either (even when board does support it) and just control RGB via the case itself.

The only real issue is the USB-C connector but you'll have get an adapter cheap! Unless I'm mistaken 90% of boards don't have USB-C connectors anyway.

Buying a €200 X570 just for the USB-C when a €50-80 motherboard would suit your requirements fine would be mad really.

If you want to get it up and running temporarily, you can use a small bit of toothpaste as thermal compound. Obviously, it's not suitable for longevity, but it's good for a few days usually before needing replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

You don't need crazy cooling for these chips.

Both the 3600 and 3700 are 65w TDP at stock speeds. Maybe pushing all cores to 4.2 - 4.3 will push it up to 100w. Still quite low.

Even a mid range air cooler is enough to run them at good speeds quietly.

I went with 1 of these for my 3600.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ARCTIC-Freezer-eSports-Configuration-Regulation/dp/B07MC8CRVZ/ref=sr_1_25?dchild=1&keywords=arctic&qid=1591030437&sr=8-25&th=1

Homelander wrote: »
    Yeah I probably would just press on. The RGB cables don't even need connecting, you're not missing anything there. I never connect them either (even when board does support it) and just control RGB via the case itself.

The only real issue is the USB-C connector but you'll have get an adapter cheap! Unless I'm mistaken 90% of boards don't have USB-C connectors anyway.

Buying a €200 X570 just for the USB-C when a €50-80 motherboard would suit your requirements fine would be mad really.

If you want to get it up and running temporarily, you can use a small bit of toothpaste as thermal compound. Obviously, it's not suitable for longevity, but it's good for a few days usually before needing replacing.

Cheers for the info and advice. Much appreciated.

You are right, I think I'm going to keep the X470 board. Panicked yesterday when I had a bunch of cables left over :o thanks to everyone for the pm's and advice.
    BloodBath wrote: »
    You don't need crazy cooling for these chips.

Both the 3600 and 3700 are 65w TDP at stock speeds. Maybe pushing all cores to 4.2 - 4.3 will push it up to 100w. Still quite low.

Even a mid range air cooler is enough to run them at good speeds quietly.

I went with 1 of these for my 3600.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ARCTIC-Freezer-eSports-Configuration-Regulation/dp/B07MC8CRVZ/ref=sr_1_25?dchild=1&keywords=arctic&qid=1591030437&sr=8-25&th=1

Thanks very much for your input as well. I had a Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4 delivered before the case and worried it would be too big and not as tidy as an AIO so sent back to Amazon.

Might check out the Arctic too. Reviews are great for the price too. Thanks

Sorry to resurrect my thread. I'm going to order an AIO tonight and going with the white theme, I'm leaning towards to Corsair Hydro 100i RGB Platinum SE, Hydro Series, 240mm for top mount in the Bequiet Pure Base 500 DX case.

Do you think I'll have any compatibility issues with this AIO and the X470 Gaming Plus Max board?

I think it looks OK but would appreciate if you more seasoned builders would give me a heads up if it should work OK with the board and have all the Corsair features.

Have I over looked anything? Sata, usb, etc all looks compatible to me but I'm a bit out of touch.

Would the corsair argb be an issue or is that controlled by the icue software? Sorry for the questions.

Thanks

RGB is USB controlled so shouldnt be a problem.

be-quiet-pure-base-500dx-case-no-side-rgb-parts.jpg?itok=CaDloH1r

I cant be sure but looks like the 500DX has less clearance between the top edge of the mobo and the ceiling than the 500. Rad on its own would be fine but the fans would be very cramped down on the DIMMs etc. I'd plan for a front mount tbh where you'll have oodles of room.

I have the DX. Plenty of room up top for a 240 AIO as i am running one myself.

ED E wrote: »
    RGB is USB controlled so shouldnt be a problem.

be-quiet-pure-base-500dx-case-no-side-rgb-parts.jpg?itok=CaDloH1r

I cant be sure but looks like the 500DX has less clearance between the top edge of the mobo and the ceiling than the 500. Rad on its own would be fine but the fans would be very cramped down on the DIMMs etc. I'd plan for a front mount tbh where you'll have oodles of room.

Thanks very much Ed E! Really appreciate your info and help. It definitely looks tight in that picture!
    I have the DX. Plenty of room up top for a 240 AIO as i am running one myself.

Cheers Grahamer72! Thanks for the pm response as well.

I ordered it this morning and looking forward to getting it. This build keeps growing! :D

Think I'm going to go with the LG 850B monitor or similar. Hard to find a 1440p 144hz with with decent performance/price.

Advertisement