Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought alienware on sunday last,money returned,no indication order cancelled

Options
  • 30-05-2020 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I bought an alienware laptop on sunday evening 24/05. Money was removed from my account, I goy a receipt by emailed immediately and then an order confirmation the next day. Today I checked my account the money has returned and no order to dell is there.

I have not receive anything about this from dell and my order is still confirmed.

Is this normal?
    Or is it possible they confirmed the order and made payment but returned it and then will process the payment when the order shops?

Edit: I contacted customer care who were useless and said I need to call sales on monday

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its not uncommon for big retailers to charge your card on the day of dispatch, you may have just seen the authorization to check that you have the funds. Some banks show these as actual transactions.

Checking the Dell forum they do charge on dispatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

ED E wrote: »
    Its not uncommon for big retailers to charge your card on the day of dispatch, you may have just seen the authorization to check that you have the funds. Some banks show these as actual transactions.

Checking the Dell forum they do charge on dispatch.

Sorry I didnt reply last night,I was occupied.

Heres a response I got

"When you use your debit card, most financial institutions will place a 72 hour pre-authorization hold on your account. This gives the merchant time to actually pull the funds out. However, the verbiage of the card agreement for Visa and MasterCard says that the merchant has up to a year to completely settle the transaction (referred to as "completing their batch"). Some merchants such as Dell only do this when the item ships, as you suggested.

The payment would go through just fine - also part of the cardholder agreement. It will draw your account negative, though."

Seems like a silly thing to do but not much else can be done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Mr.S wrote: »
    Fairly normal for any online retailer.

I would personally disagree, I have bought countless items online, every time the money was debited and thats the end of story however this is the first time a payment was made,checked,returned and will then be taken again upon dispatch, this is why I was so confused

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

sexmag wrote: »
    I would personally disagree, I have bought countless items online, every time the money was debited and thats the end of story however this is the first time a payment was made,checked,returned and will then be taken again upon dispatch, this is why I was so confused

Your bank is showing it gone, its not.

Normally Amazon etc dispatch so fast the money will never "come back".

Advertisement