Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mobile Broadband for old Dell

• 31-05-2020 8:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭

Long story here which I won't go into...
    But I'm reviving an old Dell Latitude D620 - I've upgraded memory and SSD and got Win 10 installed.
    I'd like to get it set up on GoMo for mobile broadband - it has the capability to take a card.
    So has anyone got experience of using a WWAN card in Windows 10?
    What card should I get? (I see some on eBay for €10 - €20)
    Any advice?

Comments

make sure that you get one that supports 4G and the Gomo/ Eir bands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

Your probably just better off tethering from your own phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭MenloPete

Your probably just better off tethering from your own phone?

Tethering isn't an option here - this is for an older person (without a smart phone or WiFi) who just wants to do stuff like watch church services, some web surfing etc. Nothing demanding really.
    glasso wrote: »
    make sure that you get one that supports 4G and the Gomo/ Eir bands

So any particular card I should look for?

no idea.

just pick one with 4g and the eir bands (google)

such an old laptop that you're unlikely to find someone here using one anymore.

also if the laptop did not come with a WWAN card to start with it may not have required antenna cables installed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

MenloPete wrote: »
    Tethering isn't an option here - this is for an older person (without a smart phone or WiFi) who just wants to do stuff like watch church services, some web surfing etc. Nothing demanding really.

What's the mobile reception like there ?
    Are they OK spending on a mobile contract ?

It's a very old laptop. Backup the HDD if it hasn't been replaced already.
    Tethering by wifi might be easier than sorting the card and cables for a laptop that old. Also unlikely the card will have 4G.

Tethering by WiFi is easy. Set to laptop to auto connect.
    Get a longer charger cable and an old phone for the other and leave it where reception is best. Share on 2.4Gz band only

You can get Mass on TV or satellite TV depending on which channel they prefer. RTE News now have it a 10:30 daily during the week for the duration.

Do any of the neighbours have WiFi ?

What's the mobile reception like there ?
    Are they OK spending on a mobile contract ?

It's a very old laptop. Backup the HDD if it hasn't been replaced already.
    Tethering by wifi might be easier than sorting the card and cables for a laptop that old. Also unlikely the card will have 4G.

Tethering by WiFi is easy. Set to laptop to auto connect.
    Get a longer charger cable and an old phone for the other and leave it where reception is best. Share on 2.4Gz band only

Do any of the neighbours have WiFi ?

I would agree that this would be a better solution

Advertisement