Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Concrete screw or Resin anchor?

• 31-05-2020 11:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

Looking to clad my back garden wall with timber. Some of the walls are ~1.8M high already but 2 of them are ~1.3M so I'll be extending above at those points so I'll need strong fixing there to account for the extra load on the wall from the wind (will be putting ~5mm gap between each panel though).

From looking at the uncapped tops of some of the walls, the blocks are 100mm with 3 hollows in them (see pic).

I've a load of concrete screws left over from another DIY project so I'd hoped to use them but now I'm wondering if I should use resin anchors instead given the voids or is that overkill?

The vertical battens will be ~44mm and the voids are about 35mm in from the side of the brick. I could drill in the bits between the voids but concerned it might just blowout that part given how narrow it is. I'm guessing the voids are part filled with morter from when laying the blocks but going on how shoddy the walls look I wouldn't be sure of anything.

Any advice welcome

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭whizbang

I would have no problem using the concrete screws in the voided part of the bricks, provided the screws are not too long. (or short and you can drill them to the perfect size.

The voids wont be filled, so if you are still concerned, Im not sure the chemical anchors will be any better, except in the joints.

Just to note, I have seen many a block wall pulled down by the wind load on a fence panel attached to it.

Advertisement