Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General iPhone Bluetooth/WiFi menu question

• 31-05-2020 1:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

Stupid question incoming

From the quick shortcut screen, I know when you turn off BT or wifi it disables it for 24hrs. Is it better for the battery to completely turn it off manually in the settings or does it make any difference?

I usually always go through the settings and switch everything off manually but if there is no direct effect on battery usage by having it temp disabled then I may start using the quick menu.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Firstly I don't think the control centre toggle actually turns either off, just disconnects them. A reflection of the fact that that as far as Apple is concerened neither are meant to be turned off as they are both used for various background things - Wifi for GPS/location etc and Bluetooth for Apple Watch, earphones etc.

But to answer your question, yes, completely disabling them probably is better for battery life but I doubt you'd be saving much or that it would be worth it. I used to disable Bluetooth when I never used it, but since switching to bluetooth earphones i just leave it on.

On older iPhones you could save a lot of battery life by disabling Wifi/Bluetooth but the chips in newer phones are much more energy efficient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

Firstly I don't think the control centre toggle actually turns either off, just disconnects them. A reflection of the fact that that as far as Apple is concerened neither are meant to be turned off as they are both used for various background things - Wifi for GPS/location etc and Bluetooth for Apple Watch, earphones etc.

But to answer your question, yes, completely disabling them probably is better for battery life but I doubt you'd be saving much or that it would be worth it. I used to disable Bluetooth when I never used it, but since switching to bluetooth earphones i just leave it on.

On older iPhones you could save a lot of battery life by disabling Wifi/Bluetooth but the chips in newer phones are much more energy efficient.

Appreciate the reply! I understand. It's an iPhone 11. I have the power beats Pro, so have the BT on every 2 days then the car BT too. Maybe better just leaving it disabled through quick settings. I have 40gbs in my plan so haven't used wifi much maybe I can turn it off until needed. I have gps/location always off unless on maps (once a week if even)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Somecrimesitry

As Sad Professor said BT chipsets today are insanely power efficient, especially for the BT Low Energy (BLE) part. Small standalone BLE devices can run for years on a single watch battery for example.

Your using BT Classic when your streaming audio on the Powerbeats so that is using the most amount of power via BT but at all other times your phone is using BLE in the background for all sorts of features you might not think of...Airplay, Airdrop, Handoff, etc. BLE is used to ping nearby devices for these services to work with your iPhone.

Devices like iPhones today are designed to have BT on 24/7 but the easiest way to save power is just set your phone to Low Power Mode (Settings > Battery). When you charge the phone above 80% the Low Power Mode will switch itself off so you need to manually set this whenever you need it.

Advertisement