Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing electric shower

Options
  • 31-05-2020 4:59pm

My mam needs a new electric shower installed. Her current one is broken, it stopped working and smoke comes out of the shower head when she turns it on.

I assume I’ll have to enlist the help of a qualified electrician but I’ve heard it’s very expensive to have one installed, does anyone know what kind of price it would be? And any recommendations for finding someone who could install it?

My mam doesn’t have much money so I’ll be footing the bill, just trying to suss out my options! I really haven’t a clue where to start.

Thanks a mil.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Switch it off at the isolator or fuse board and do not use pending attendance of a qualified person.

Swapping in a new unit isn't difficult assuming the wiring etc is up to standard

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭EHP

Legally you need a registered electrical contractor (REC) to complete the electrical work for any electric shower replacement. Once fitted the REC has to issue you with a safe electric cert. Most of the showers I replace need the cable supplying them upgraded to 10sq this means running a cable from the fuse board to the shower. Depending on the cable length run getting a new shower supplied and fitted complete with new cable, new pull cord switch and most likely a new RCBO would cost around €800. Anyone who doesn't issue the cert or doesn't upgrade the cable if needed is potentially putting anyone who uses the shower at risk and should be reported to the CRU threw the link on the safe electric website.

https://safeelectric.ie/contractors/support/report-illegal-electrical-works/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

My mam doesn’t have much money so I’ll be footing the bill, just trying to suss out my options! I really haven’t a clue where to start.

There aren’t many options! The only sensible one is to get a qualified electrician to do this work. My guess at the cost (which will vary so shop around):

Call out charge, maybe €60
    ½ day labor (installation & testing), maybe €200
    New shower unit, maybe €300

The above assumes thy the wiring is up to standard (in my experience it generally is).

Advertisement