Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fiat Cinquecento Sporting project

Options
  • 31-05-2020 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭

After too many years sitting outside my in-laws house, and another 18 months in a turf shed in my yard, I finally got around to moving the Cinquecento into the workshop.

514833.jpg

This was my wife's first car back around 2001. For some reason it never got sold when she upgraded (to a puma.. good taste in cars). Although it's suffered some from lying up, it's generally solid, as it was on a hard surface and somewhat sheltered. It will need the obvious fluids filters plugs and belts before I try start it, but it should run. Otherwise a few cosmetic repairs, the worst being the front of the bonnet which the rusty goblin got a hold of. Plan is to get shocks, bushings, brake kit and radiator, then look at the cosmetics. These are getting a bit scarce now, so it's nice to have a low mile, 2 owner example. It's not my first choice of a modern classic, but it has sentimental value.

Be warned, this will take a while, between work and a 4 month old, but I'll keep this updated when I do a bit If anyone's interested.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Lovely little cars. They are getting a rare sight nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Yeah, not too many left around. Simple little car so not expecting too many surprises. Needs a windscreen which I might have to look about for, or pick up a donor car if there was a non-runner floating about. Service parts are widely available still.

Normally there would be some sort of 50+ year old tractor sitting in that spot, but I sent one out a few months back and decided it was time to be less agricultural for a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Not a big Fiat fan but always had a soft spot for these Cinquecentos. Can't say what but there is something I like about them. On a visit to a local scrapyard a few years back I say 2 of the Sporting model about to be crushed. Disgusted I was!!. Getting very rare now

T.

I think it's just that they're a fun little car and have a bit of character. Agreed that other Fiats of the era don't do it for me. I've looked about over the years and yellow is the only colour I like!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Got one myself back in 2008 with only 12,500 miles on it
    Kept it for about 2 or 3 years and sold it on with about 15,000 miles done
    Have regretted it ever since :(

cinq.jpg
    cinq2.jpg

• Advertisement

Well today I took a chance on an unseen ad for a donor car not very far from me.... Not a sporting, but an sx model. Bonnet and windscreen perfect, which I need for the yellow one, and I'll harvest plenty of other components too.. bit of a shame, because it's a very straight little car, but I'm being ruthless.

515054.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I bought one of them, new, in Sporting Yellow, in 1996. I even ordered the factory Abarth rear spoiler.

Naturally the red seatbelts were worth an extra 5bhp.

Always regretted selling it. 96 G 2281 if you trip over it

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement