Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay childcare to grandmother legally.

Options
  • 31-05-2020 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am Polish resident in Ireland and i am going to have my second baby. I really dont mind paying childcare for both babies but something is really bothering me. Wondering if you can give me some advise. My parents are both in Poland (alone) and they are missing out all their grandchildren early years. This is very sad for my parents but it will be very sad for the children as well because they have to grow without family around.
    They both have a back condition so is very difficult to integrate both to work, specially when they don t have any English. My father we could arrange something but my mother she definitely wouldn't be able. So my idea was to give money to her instead of paying creche. My question is could I register her and pay her legally? She is not a professional childminder. Would I even be able to register her as one? Will she be entitled to any other benefit after? I would not be able to pay this value for ever because when kids grow I also have to prepare myself for their university and for their needs as teenagers. I am in search of an advise, Please Help! Is very sad to be away from family.

Thank you for taking the time and read a bit about our life

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

martawo wrote: »
    I am Polish resident in Ireland and i am going to have my second baby. I really dont mind paying childcare for both babies but something is really bothering me. Wondering if you can give me some advise. My parents are both in Poland (alone) and they are missing out all their grandchildren early years. This is very sad for my parents but it will be very sad for the children as well because they have to grow without family around.
    They both have a back condition so is very difficult to integrate both to work, specially when they don t have any English. My father we could arrange something but my mother she definitely wouldn't be able. So my idea was to give money to her instead of paying creche. My question is could I register her and pay her legally? She is not a professional childminder. Would I even be able to register her as one? Will she be entitled to any other benefit after? I would not be able to pay this value for ever because when kids grow I also have to prepare myself for their university and for their needs as teenagers. I am in search of an advise, Please Help! Is very sad to be away from family.

Thank you for taking the time and read a bit about our life

Assuming they are moving in with you for a while to mind the kids then just give them cash unless of course you want them to collect stamps(for social welfare) for the future? I'm not sure but I'd be of the opinion they would probably be better off with cash now.

To mind kids "professionally" they will need all sorts of paperwork that is just not required as they are the grandparents and paying cash/revolut is probably just handier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 martawo

Ideally is to have her collecting stamps straight away. Once They move country that s it. They would need to look after their future straight away for their own safety.They would also pay rent as soon as my father would get a job. They like their independence and we believe is more healthy in this way. My question is really if I can register her self employed and pay her for this service legally.
    Thanks for taking the time to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Check out https://www.childminding.ie/childminders/

Lots of info on what's required to be a paid childminder and how to register with revenue, How much can be warned tax free, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,452 ✭✭✭✭fits

martawo wrote: »
    Ideally is to have her collecting stamps straight away. Once They move country that s it. They would need to look after their future straight away for their own safety.They would also pay rent as soon as my father would get a job. They like their independence and we believe is more healthy in this way. My question is really if I can register her self employed and pay her for this service legally.
    Thanks for taking the time to answer.

If you want her to accrue PRSI Stamps you would need to register as an employer and pay employers PRSI. But you need to look into it well. Citizens information is a good resource.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

fits wrote: »
    If you want her to accrue PRSI Stamps you would need to register as an employer and pay employers PRSI. But you need to look into it well. Citizens information is a good resource.

Not necessarily, lots of childminders are registered as self employed, you pay a set amount each year to keep your stamps up to date. It's all in the link I posted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

If you employ a minder in your home you've to register as an employer with revenue and provide tax, prsi etc deductions every week. A minder working in their own home can choose whether to register.

lazygal wrote: »
    If you employ a minder in your home you've to register as an employer with revenue and provide tax, prsi etc deductions every week. A minder working in their own home can choose whether to register.

How does it work if the mother lives with them? It’s her home too then and I’d assume that would be the case if she were to move over.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

How does it work if the mother lives with them? It’s her home too then and I’d assume that would be the case if she were to move over.

It doesn't make a difference. It's like having an au pair. You are still legally an employer.

Advertisement