Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6000 landlords a year existing the rental market

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

snowcat wrote: »
    You would want to be stone cold bonkers to rent an apartment out on a standard lease at the moment.

You would be a dribbling cretin surely, but lets see what the 1st of August brings.

I hear anecdotally that a certain not particularly well clued in Councillor from a campaigning political party in my part of the jungle has been telling his impressionable young voters that CV19 frees them from having to pay all their rent, regardless of whether even if they can afford to.

There is no such thing as a 'lease' from a tenant's perspective-as their rights are defined under the Residential Tenancies Act- and a lease may not detract in any manner from their rights under the Act. Accordingly- a lease is completely and utterly meaningless.

In fairness there may be caveats about Part 4s, pets, posters and the like but the substantive part of the lease is legislative

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You would want to be stone cold bonkers to rent an apartment out on a standard lease at the moment.
    You either have AirBnB, or a lease.

I'd imagine a few hundred (or thousand?) landlords will look at taking a hit to get out of the market, due to COVID.

the_syco wrote: »
    You either have AirBnB, or a lease.

What is to stop someone overholding on an AirBnB let?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

What is to stop someone overholding on an AirBnB let?

You can go in and kick their asses out, they are only guests in your house.

• Advertisement

Dav010 wrote: »

You might get an inquiry from a "German Student" who needs the place for a month to carry out PhD research, only to get a call from a neighbour who says there is a gang of minks running riot in the place. They refuse to move and go to Threshold, what then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

Yes if you want to. You have some hope on an Airbnb let as you are covered on their insurance. On a booking.com you have nothing. Either way if they decide not to go you have a problem. Not a patch of the problem you have if you have a standard lease on a registered prtb tenancy in this kip of a country. They effectively own your property.

You might get an inquiry from a "German Student" who needs the place for a month to carry out PhD research, only to get a call from a neighbour who says there is a gang of minks running riot in the place. They refuse to move and go to Threshold, what then?

Just to be clear, the RTA does not cover holiday lets and the emergency legislation does not refer to short/holiday lets either. Airbnb guests do not pay the Host, they pay Airbnb. They can go to Threshold and tell whatever yarn they want, they will still be out on their arses.

Yes if you want to. You have some hope on an Airbnb let as you are covered on their insurance. On a booking.com you have nothing. Either way if they decide not to go you have a problem. Not a patch of the problem you have if you have a standard lease on a registered prtb tenancy in this kip of a country. They effectively own your property.

I don’t see what the problem is you are referring to, are you saying short/holiday lets have some tenancy rights? What are you basing this on?

Just to be clear, the RTA does not cover holiday lets and the emergency legislation does not refer to short/holiday lets either. Airbnb guests do not pay the Host, they pay Airbnb. They can go to Threshold and tell whatever yarn they want, they will still be out on their arses.

Yes you wait for threshold to decide on that..6 months to a year later

• Advertisement

Yes you wait for threshold to decide on that..6 months to a year later

What? Threshold?

Surely you mean the RTB? Their remit does not extend to holiday lets.

https://www.rtb.ie/register-a-tenancy/is-your-property-exempt-from-registration

But AirBnB are not just for Holiday lets, people use them for work and study. I think AirBnB allows lets up to 90 days and remember all the contracts bewteen AirBnB, the LL and the Renter are inferior to legislation, just saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

6 month deposit at minimum

Tenants might cop on then

But AirBnB are not just for Holiday lets, people use them for work and study. I think AirBnB allows lets up to 90 days and remember all the contracts bewteen AirBnB, the LL and the Renter are inferior to legislation, just saying.

Are you confusing the 90 days and the recent planning law?

I don’t see what the problem is you are referring to, are you saying short/holiday lets have some tenancy rights? What are you basing this on?

I am not saying anything, I am masking a hypothetical question

So what is the legislation for a 3 month short term stay? just saying?

Are you confusing the 90 days and the recent planning law?

No, I am saying that I think AirBnB limits the length of stay up to 90 days

And is that an Airbnb regulation or an Irish one?

Where do you see that?

So what is the legislation for a 3 month short term stay? just saying?

In Ireland a 3 month lease is a non Part 4 Tenancy, you will have to look that up yourself.

• Advertisement

Where do you see that?

I don't see it I think it, what is the max stay you can book on AirBnB, I am willing to be corrected on the 90 days.

In Ireland a 3 month lease is a non Part 4 Tenancy, you will have to look that up yourself.

So does anything less then a 6 month tenancy need to be registered? So effectively you do not need to register a tenancy until it exceeds 6 months as it may be a short term tenancy?

And is that an Airbnb regulation or an Irish one?

If it exists it would be an AirBnB one.

If it exists it would be an AirBnB one.

Well you can tell that one to go back home then as it has no bearing in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

the_syco wrote: »
    I'd imagine a few hundred (or thousand?) landlords will look at taking a hit to get out of the market, due to COVID.

Could be a while before they can get out of the market. Isn't Darragh O'Brien's new Bill extending the eviction ban until 2021?

He said on radio it will provide measures that are more permanent to protect tenant's rights and it will be better than what is available in other jurisdictions. He's in regular contact with homeless charities in Dublin and across the country and his priority is to protect anyone who is vulnerable but he didn't have a lot to say about landlords.

He said he was concerned that the emergency legislation could be open to challenge and his new Bill will correct that. More new regulations - impossible to keep up with all the changes :D

So does anything less then a 6 month tenancy need to be registered? So effectively you do not need to register a tenancy until it exceeds 6 months as it may be a short term tenancy?

Where did I say anything like this.

Where did I say anything like this.
    Someone (or you) needs to clarify what a short term let is.

I don't see it I think it, what is the max stay you can book on AirBnB, I am willing to be corrected on the 90 days.

Airbnb do not set minimum or maximum lets, that is up to the Host. But the Irish Government introduced legislation that requires anyone that lets their full property to occasional/short lets in excess of 90 days per year, to have planning permission.

Well you can tell that one to go back home then as it has no bearing in this country.

Listen you have the wrong end of the stick, I asked a genuine question and I will rephrase. I know that AirBnB type type lets are restricted and legislated for but in my mind the restrictions are on the planning side, what would happen if a PBP crowd or whatever took a let in excess of 14 days for the purposes of "work" and subsequently refused to leave and barricaded themselves in and had law act on their behalf?

• Advertisement

Listen you have the wrong end of the stick, I asked a genuine question and I will rephrase. I know that AirBnB type type lets are restricted and legislated for but in my mind the restrictions are on the planning side, what would happen if a PBP crowd or whatever took a let in excess of 14 days for the purposes of "work" and subsequently refused to leave and barricaded themselves in and had law act on their behalf?

How would the law act on their behalf? They are then trespassing.

Advertisement