Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6000 landlords a year existing the rental market

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Rob landlords blind with tax and use it to give away housing to others, great system...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

Dav010 wrote: »
    How would the law act on their behalf? They are then trespassing.

How naive. You have never asked the gardai to enforce a trespass obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Airbnb do not set minimum or maximum lets, that is up to the Host. But the Irish Government introduced legislation that requires anyone that lets their full property to occasional/short lets in excess of 90 days per year, to have planning permission.

The 90 days for AirBnB was a figure I had in my head for some reason. So if somebody was to let a premises for say 90 days for the purpose of work and at the end of the stay say I have nowhere to live, then again that could be the bullseye, you might get AirBnB rates for a couple of years with no cleaning on the local council until they were rehoused.

snowcat wrote: »

There was caravans trespassing near me for about 40 years. Google McGinley Sligo.

There was caravans trespassing near me for about 40 years. Google McGinley Sligo.

Im sure that went well..40 years..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

snowcat wrote: »

The poster said the law would act “on their behalf”, and yes, I would be confident that the Gardai would intervene. If a trespasser does not vacate when ordered to by Gardai, it changes from a public order offence to one that is punishable by a fine or jail time.

The poster said the law would act “on their behalf”, and yes, I would be confident that the Gardai would intervene. If a trespasser does not vacate when ordered to by Gardai, it changes from a public order offence to one that is punishable by a fine or jail time.

Ha Ha ha ha ha hahahhaahahahhahahah

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

For the original subject, another 8k private landlords gone in q1 2020.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Where you seeing that...

I suspect the Govt muttering about buying AirBnbs is not unconnected..

https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/research/rtb-registration-statistics/

The number of housing association units coming to market over the last few years has been obfuscating the mass exodus of private landlords.

• Advertisement

For the original subject, another 8k private landlords gone in q1 2020.
    That is the full year Q1 2019 to Q1 2020, still a final figure 8K when you round it, I would say the figure for Q2 2020 to Q2 2021 will be horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭rightmove

That is the full year Q1 2019 to Q1 2020, still a final figure 8K when you round it, I would say the figure for Q2 2020 to Q2 2021 will be horrendous.

last 5-7 years must be mental altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

I spoke with a landlord last evening. He spent the time giving out that he cant rent his property because there are so many places on the market. I asked did he know the law of supply and demand and cut the rent being sought. Oh no he wants the "market rent or nothing"
    I would think that getting 1400 a month for an occupied property is better than having it empty for months advertised at 1700 but apparently that "would be undermining the market"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Rob landlords blind with tax and use it to give away housing to others, great system...

And legislate to make it so bad for them they have to sell. And be waiting in the wings to buy these properties they forced them to sell.
    Seems unfair to me,

Not yet because they cant get out with the eviction ban.
    Wait til the eviction ban is over. Big exodus then.

Edgware wrote: »
    I spoke with a landlord last evening. He spent the time giving out that he cant rent his property because there are so many places on the market. I asked did he know the law of supply and demand and cut the rent being sought. Oh no he wants the "market rent or nothing"
    I would think that getting 1400 a month for an occupied property is better than having it empty for months advertised at 1700 but apparently that "would be undermining the market"

It would be better empty than having it rented, having all the cost and expense, wear and tear and no rent being paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭rightmove

beauf wrote: »
    It would be better empty than having it rented, having all the cost and expense, wear and tear and no rent being paid.

totally agree - the asset in the hands of a non paying tenant and not protection from the state for anything

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

If you have a properly selected tenant in it the rent will be paid. Despite what people think there are thousands of people in well paid jobs working from home , earning good salaries.
    Lazy landlords use useless agents and end up with wasters as tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,552 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It is not so much undermining the market but you have the pressure zone rules in play as well. If you discount rent by 20% it will take 7 years to achieve that rent level again if RPZ's stay in place.. Because of this I can understand a landlord reluctance to to reduce rents.

Add in the risk factor associated with renting and the present rules regarding evictions and risk to LL it may make more sense to leave it empty. If I had a place empty I consider revamping as there is tax relief on this until end of 2021 I think.

Slava Ukrainii

If you have a properly selected tenant in it the rent will be paid. Despite what people think there are thousands of people in well paid jobs working from home , earning good salaries.

What does a properly selected tenant look like?

• Advertisement

If you are right and it's a low risk profitable venture (if done properly) then more people will be getting into it than leaving it. There will be no problems with supply either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

Pity you're not allowed discriminate in favour of people in well paying jobs over social housing tenants without a large fine from the WRC

Missed that, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

What does a properly selected tenant look like?

Don't mind him...he's victim blaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

It is not so much undermining the market but you have the pressure zone rules in play as well. If you discount rent by 20% it will take 7 years to achieve that rent level again if RPZ's stay in place.. Because of this I can understand a landlord reluctance to to reduce rents.

Add in the risk factor associated with renting and the present rules regarding evictions and risk to LL it may make more sense to leave it empty. If I had a place empty I consider revamping as there is tax relief on this until end of 2021 I think.

The law of unintended consequences strikes again! Rents will stay high in our cities because LLs know they will be fixed with the reduced rent for 7 years. Rents will fall only when LLs are convinced that they “good times” are over. Many will prefer to sell if they can.

Caquas wrote: »
    The law of unintended consequences strikes again! Rents will stay high in our cities because LLs know they will be fixed with the reduced rent for 7 years. Rents will fall only when LLs are convinced that they “good times” are over. Many will prefer to sell if they can.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc

if you had a place sitting empty at the moment. Would you take the risk on renting it with the current rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,552 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

if you had a place sitting empty at the moment. Would you take the risk on renting it with the current rules?

I would as long as Zi got an economic rent. O be slow to rent it if there was a large rent rate reduction

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭perfectkama

no, wouldn't rent in the current climate

• Advertisement

I actually know people who are leaving them empty while waiting to see what happens next.

Advertisement