Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead tips on Portuguese laurel

Options
  • 01-06-2020 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Have a Portuguese laurel planted three years. Some plants doing ok others a bit patchy. One thing I notice is dead tips on some branches. I would assume in this case those branches won't grow any more. My question is any insight to why this might be happening to some branches and should I cut these tips off or how far back. I'm concerned if I do this to some plants they won't ever get too bushy.

See example.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

Could have been the frost we had a few weeks back. It damaged a lot of new growth on different plants in my own garden.

Just looked there and my single Portuguese laurel plant has similar dead branch tips in places. The side shoots on these branches are still growing fine so it should help the laurel become more bushy than it would have if the leading apical bud on these branches had not been killed. I don't think it really matters if the tips like this are trimmed off or not as the healthy side shoots from these branches are likely to grow out and hide the previous apical tips that have been damaged. If you want to trim them off then I would only go back as far as is required to remove the dead material.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭henke

macraignil wrote: »
    Could have been the frost we had a few weeks back. It damaged a lot of new growth on different plants in my own garden.

Just looked there and my single Portuguese laurel plant has similar dead branch tips in places. The side shoots on these branches are still growing fine so it should help the laurel become more bushy than it would have if the leading apical bud on these branches had not been killed. I don't think it really matters if the tips like this are trimmed off or not as the healthy side shoots from these branches are likely to grow out and hide the previous apical tips that have been damaged. If you want to trim them off then I would only go back as far as is required to remove the dead material.

Ok thanks good to know this is hopefully nothing more serious.

Advertisement