Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing with a chance the rifle could be over 1 joule

• 01-06-2020 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I'm thinking fo buying a GBBR from a lad in England. He says he has chronod the rifle and that is "around" 1j. He said he can put propane in so that it will definitely fire under 1j.

Firstly this all seems a bit supsect. But lets say I follow through and buy from him. What are the reprecussions from customs if the gun is seized. I can handle it being straight up destroyed but I'm not too keen on the idea of getting fined/charged with anything in realtion to a firearms offence.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Just go for it, changing the gas means that it is under the joule, so if it is seized by customs just get a email from the seller saying that it's fps is X with green gas/propane, and they will release it.

That said, I've only had one shipment(out of many) seized by customs, and that was sorted with a screenshot of the replica's sales page with the FPS info on it.

Now it took customs ~2 weeks in total, from the time of seizure to release, but it wasn't really any hassle.
    Funnily enough the package wasn't even opened when it arrived to me.

TL:DR - go for it.

EDIT - thinking about it the letter also said unless I provided proof that it wasn't a "firearm" that the package would be destroyed. Prosecution/fines/charges were never mentioned, in the letter, emails or on the phone to them.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Burburls wrote: »

Firstly this all seems a bit supsect. But lets say I follow through and buy from him. What are the reprecussions from customs if the gun is seized. I can handle it being straight up destroyed .

You would get a letter followed by a destruction order if it's found to be hot ,
    It's actually happened regularly over the years ,an email won't stop that once it's tested as hot ,

If you have any doubts don't buy , chances are the gbb can be sourced by one of our Irish retailers without any of the hassle

Advertisement