If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Optoma HD27e

Options
  • 01-06-2020 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi, I am hoping to show some movies outdoors for the kids and their friends over the summer. I don’t want to spend a fortune, but conscious that brightness will be an issue. I am interested in the HD27e and wanted to check if this is suitable for outdoor viewing at around 7pm in summertime? Can you also please let me know what I would need in terms of speakers? I assume the internal speaker wouldn’t be good enough outside. Thanks.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

radiofoot wrote: »
    Hi, I am hoping to show some movies outdoors for the kids and their friends over the summer.  I don’t want to spend a fortune, but conscious that brightness will be an issue.  I am interested in the HD27e and wanted to check if this is suitable for outdoor viewing at around 7pm in summertime?  Can you also please let me know what I would need in terms of speakers?  I assume the internal speaker wouldn’t be good enough outside.  Thanks.
    Hi Radiofoot,

Thanks for the post!

The Optoma HD27E is a fantastic projector however there are a few issues you will have with a home cinema projector outdoors.

Ambient light will play a big part so at 7pm in the height of summer you would be significantly reducing the contrast ratio of the image and any dark scenes will be very washed out. If you have it in a shaded area you will still get a picture but they would be more suited to a dark room than an outdoor environment.

The other issue would be weather. Unless you were to take the projector inside in the evenings I wouldn't recommend leaving it outdoors as they are run quite hot and could generate condensation around the lens in an outdoor environment.

I hope I'm not putting you off going for a projector as they give a fantastic experience however they would be quite limited in an outdoor environment!

For speakers I would recommend an AV receiver and a set of speakers. The in built speaker in a projector is not fantastic so I would recommend an AV receiver as it would allow you to connect easily via HDMI between your sources and the projector. You could then go for a pair of stereo speakers or a 5.1 system!

Let me know what you think!

Kind regards

David

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.