Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Us riot Twitter clips

Options
  • 01-06-2020 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭

I started a thread with links to scenes and events taken from Twitter regarding the Us riots.
    A mod shut it down on the basis that it's a discussion forum.

The thread was to be a visual representation of what is happening in the states. There are other threads where people post pictures etc

I don't see the problem.

Thanks

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/113611098

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Moved to help desk as you're not disputing a card or ban.

I started a thread with links to scenes and events taken from Twitter regarding the Us riots.
    A mod shut it down on the basis that it's a discussion forum.

I'm not sure where the confusion lies TBH.

The reason for closing the thread was pretty clear cut:

a) There already is an ongoing thread about the riots in the US.

b) The site, and particularly forums like Current Affairs is for the purpose of discussion, not a repository for Twitter link dumps and nothing more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

mike_ie wrote: »
    Moved to help desk as you're not disputing a card or ban.

I'm not sure where the confusion lies TBH.

The reason for closing the thread was pretty clear cut:

a) There already is an ongoing thread about the riots in the US.

b) The site, and particularly forums like Current Affairs is for the purpose of discussion, not a repository for Twitter link dumps and nothing more.

Ok a standalone video thread is out of the question.

I see plenty of people posting links on the thread .How many can I post in a row or should I break them up with a few words?

Ok a standalone video thread is out of the question.

I see plenty of people posting links on the thread .How many can I post in a row or should I break them up with a few words?

It seems very much like you're trying to find an angle to do something the forum mod explicitly told you not to do, where common sense should tell you that it doesn't suddenly become okay as long as you post X number of words or stay under some arbitrary quota.

Context is important. Posting a youtube video/tweet/whatever to reinforce a point you are trying to argue in thread is okay. Posting a sentence or two to justify a link dump is not, and there's no magic number of videos that keeps you under/pushes you over the threshold.

It seems very much like you're trying to find an angle to do something the forum mod explicitly told you not to do, where common sense should tell you that it doesn't suddenly become okay as long as you post X number of words or stay under some arbitrary quota.

Context is important. Posting a youtube video/tweet/whatever to reinforce a point you are trying to argue in thread is okay. Posting a sentence or two to justify a link dump is not, and there's no magic number of videos that keeps you under/pushes you over the threshold.

That's exactly what I'm trying to do. Find out the boundary within the rules that I can push to.

Posting a clip to reinforce a point seems to be the sweet spot. I can work within that.
    Thanks

That's exactly what I'm trying to do. Find out the boundary within the rules that I can push to.

You're rules lawyering. That's not going to end well and I'm not going to let you waste mods time in the process.

One admin has already shut down your thread with clear reasons as to why. I've facilitated your discussion here, and explained that context is important. Your context, as stated above, is to try to work the angles on this somehow rather than any legitimate attempt at discussion.

On a related note, don't PM other posters again, to accuse them of reporting your threads.

In short, cop on, or I imagine you'll find your access to the forum revoked pretty sharpish.

• Advertisement

You're rules lawyering. That's not going to end well and I'm not going to let you waste mods time in the process.

One admin has already shut down your thread with clear reasons as to why. I've facilitated your discussion here, and explained that context is important. Your context, as stated above, is to try to work the angles on this somehow rather than any legitimate attempt at discussion.

On a related note, don't PM other posters again, to accuse them of reporting your threads.

In short, cop on, or I imagine you'll find your access to the forum revoked pretty sharpish.

My ability to embed a linked tweet has been removed. Just comes out as text. Doesn't expand

Ok

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

And this is exactly what I told you via PM OP

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement