Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Far-Left hijacking protests

Options
  • 01-06-2020 9:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭

It seems some people are upset that PBP activists disingenuously availed of today's Black Lives Matter protest for self-promotion and to promote their party. This is something I've observed going on for years and it always rubbed me the wrong way. Anytime there is a protest for anything in Ireland, whether it's a march against water charges or the closure of a local hospital, there is always some grubby moron waving a Palestinian flag. Seems to be mainly Leftist groups like PBP and SF who pull this crap but if anyone has evidence of other parties doing so I will gladly stand corrected. It comes across as not caring about the issue at hand and shoehorning your own personal agenda to the forefront. Ireland must be the top customer for Pally flags worldwide.

https://twitter.com/LeoDGrey/status/1267541694284812290

Mods: please don't merge this thread with another as the topic is not solely related to today's Black Lives Matter protest. This has been going on for years,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,659 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

They will jump on any protest or cause to be popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

“Activists” gota be active

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I used to wear a PLO scarf back in the 80s. Does that count?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Every political party that supports a protest joins the protest. You've likely never seen a protest that didn't have one or more party banners in the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

The person who started that thread on twitter is incredibly selfish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,559 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

coinop wrote: »
    Mods: please don't merge this thread with another as the topic is not solely related to today's Black Lives Matter protest.

there would be a certain irony if this ended up merged ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,559 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

i was wondering, with that flag in their twitter handle, would they keep their politics out of it...

https://twitter.com/LeoDGrey/status/1267547028189577219

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSpX3BmQ-CX7ztka6KLIVECZ16vrioCXz6lWzpPZzM_dTCzoo-l&usqp=CAU

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

PBP are extreme Marxists. The ironic thing is the Marxist regimes they want to model their Ideal Ireland wouldn't have 7 nights of protests mainly because they hesitate to machine gun any protesters in the street and send their families to gulags. That's why PBP and the other Marxists jump on every bandwagon going. Their own wagon won't stand up to any scrutiny by voters so smokescreens are necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

The person who started that thread on twitter is incredibly selfish

Why the **** do people on Twitter insist on putting their gender pronouns on their intro? His name is Leo, he is a him, there's no need to specify it the attention seeking clown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

PBP are 'a party of protest' that is thier raison d'être in fairness to them.
    You want to protest something student union style marches, placards and so on - they are the ones to call.
    Big national cause, smaller local cause it does not matter they will show up.
    So I can fully understand why they are latching on the USA protests.
    PBP have not had a decent ruck since the Water Charges and I suspect part of them would love a race riot or two in Ireland. Then they will be out with megaphones and flags feeling they are making a difference and so on. PBP are great for mobilising masses to a cause. Only problem is they need to find one that resonates with the masses. Social distancing atm does not help thier usual modus operandi.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

touts wrote: »
    PBP are extreme Marxists. The ironic thing is the Marxist regimes they want to model their Ideal Ireland wouldn't have 7 nights of protests mainly because they hesitate to machine gun any protesters in the street and send their families to gulags. That's why PBP and the other Marxists jump on every bandwagon going. Their own wagon won't stand up to any scrutiny by voters so smokescreens are necessary.

Just remember that these are the idiots screaming that Trump is a tyrant and want to take everybody's freedoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I think the far right are infiltrating them. I also think while some riots are not run by thugs. Some rioters are just thugs.

Yes the far left is there. They probably don't see themselves as hijacking it.

But make no mistake this is turning into a left vrs right battle between two sides that hate each other. And there is both of them in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

PBP are nothing but a pile of ****e, free everything for everyone ****ing wasters that wouldn’t know the meaning of hard work and personal responsibility if it kicked them right in their wrinkly commie ballsacks. A pack of wasters and nothing more. They can **** off.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

I think these groups are becoming less relevant and they know it, but they've chosen this path and have to follow it to its own self destruction.
    The media have also followed them on this path and championed these groups and also know that their claims are not relevant and that they are losing their audience, their platforms and revenue because of this.
    Unfortunately the media doesn't know where to go from here or who to support as the media group echo chamber doesn't have the core common sense to try new directions or simply listen to its audience instead of a twitter and instagram feed from a very small group of headbangers or opinion pieces from dodgy sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

i was wondering, with that flag in their twitter handle, would they keep their politics out of it...

https://twitter.com/LeoDGrey/status/1267547028189577219

One hears a lot in the last couple of years about trans ppl being murdered but one never hears about a trans person being murdered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Flickerfusion

touts wrote: »

Ah here! They’re a fairly simple protest party, most of whom originated around the Irish Water stuff and anger over the financial crash. I think you’d be giving them a lot of undue credit to paint them as some kind of complex party of highbrow ideology.

Ireland has relatively few politicians that I would call extreme anything ideological. There are a few individual political figures that fit that bill, but not many. It’s not the kind of political system or atmosphere that tends to go for ideologues.

I find some of this use of language like “extreme Marxists” in reference to the Irish left or “Tories” in reference to FG tends to be hyperbolic reductive nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Never mind the make up of the usual rent-a-mob, they're all a bunch of utter fcukwits, attending a protest like that while Dublin's a hotspot for a highly contagious pathogen.

Irony is they'd be the same people tweeting about the disproportionate mortality rate from covid among ethnic minorities.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Never mind the make up of the usual rent-a-mob, they're all a bunch of utter fcukwits, attending a protest like that while Dublin's a hotspot for a highly contagious pathogen.

Irony is they'd be the same people tweeting about the disproportionate mortality rate from covid among ethnic minorities.

There are a few factors at play here. Number one, the protest is a day out for a lot of people. The weather was nice today and young people are bored of sitting at home due to the lockdown. I guarantee if it was raining today, fewer than half of the mob would have shown up.

Secondly, social media has a lot to answer for. It's laughable watching all the posers with their phones in the air, recording other people recording them. If you don't have a photoshoot at the protest, did you really even go? Coronoavirus was sooo last month. Similarly, this BLM trend will pass and the Instagram crowd will move onto the next outrage of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I think the far right are infiltrating them. I also think while some riots are not run by thugs. Some rioters are just thugs.

But make no mistake this is turning into a left vrs right battle between two sides that hate each other. And there is both of them in it.

Not here, I'd be firmly in the centre. I don't think those at the march were purely left.

I do think they are selfish idiots.

There isn't really a fixed left right divide in this country as much as people want there to be.

I look forwards to next week's march about the atrocities actually committed against members of the LGBT community in many countries, or the continued oppression of women, though something tells me it's only Big Bad Trump that people will protest against

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

There isn't really a fixed left right divide in this country as much as people want there to be.

Without going too off-topic, Irish political parties range from the Left to Far-Left. Think about it - they're all pro-EU, pro-immigration, pro-gay, pro-abortion. They agree on everything. Our elections are a farce selection between Tweedledum and Tweedledee. You have to laugh when the perpetually outraged mob try to portray Leo Vardadkar, the gay brown man, as some sort of fascist authoritarian. The student crowd would love if Ireland had a far-right boogeyman to rally against but it simply doesn't exist in this country. Probably why they latch onto American politics and seethe over Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

PBP support has been falling in recent years to Sinn Fein. They need a new trendy protest to capture the youth. They have protests organised for Saturday despite mass gathering rules still in place. What they are trying to do is get the Garda to shut them down, refuse to disassemble and claim "police brutality".

I don't think they are going to win hearts and minds over this one as even media folk are criticising the protest yesterday.

PBP isn't a normal party per se. It's an alliance of people. I think this is Brid Smith and Paul Murphy going off on one. Gino Kenny shared something from the PBP protest (he didn't attend) and is getting hammered from his FB supporters for it. Boyd-Barrett is a bit quiet on it, sharing a PBP statement but not the protest videos from Bríd Smith.

We could be seeing a Split :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭collywobble7

Because they are absolute morons just like the attention seeking cretins who attended the so called BLM 'protest'

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Why the **** do people on Twitter insist on putting their gender pronouns on their intro? His name is Leo, he is a him, there's no need to specify it the attention seeking clown.

By not relying on your assumptions, that person wants to make it easier for people with less conventional gender identities to communicate those in a readily-accessible way, and thus ensure that everyone is addressed in the way they want to be. It taxes you and I not one jot to respect this right.

Note that every form you've filled out in the past 30 years has allowed you to say Mr/Mrs/Ms/Dr/Fr etc. - saying how you wish to be addressed is not exactly revolutionary.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

If there’s a spike in coronavirus cases in the next few weeks then attending this might come back to bite them on the ass. PBP that is.

There could be another split about to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Sheep_shear

coinop wrote: »
    Anytime there is a protest for anything in Ireland, whether it's a march against water charges or the closure of a local hospital, there is always some grubby moron waving a Palestinian flag.

Add sports to that. Who tf are you supporting if you're waving a Palestinian flag at a Sligo Mayo game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Maybe read the OP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

PBP are 'a party of protest' that is thier raison d'être in fairness to them.
    You want to protest something student union style marches, placards and so on - they are the ones to call.
    Big national cause, smaller local cause it does not matter they will show up.
    So I can fully understand why they are latching on the USA protests.
    PBP have not had a decent ruck since the Water Charges and I suspect part of them would love a race riot or two in Ireland. Then they will be out with megaphones and flags feeling they are making a difference and so on. PBP are great for mobilising masses to a cause. Only problem is they need to find one that resonates with the masses. Social distancing atm does not help thier usual modus operandi.

Maybe its because they is black

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Add sports to that. Who tf are you supporting if you're waving a Palestinian flag at a Sligo Mayo game?

That Loughnane douche went quiet after it was found out he was a drug dealer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Sheep_shear

I honestly don't know what you're talking about.

I'm referencing a certain game I was at, and a lot of them were flying. The colours of Mayo are red and green. Sligo's are black and white. The Palestinian flag's colours have the lot :)

Advertisement