Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aphids in garden

Options
  • 01-06-2020 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭

Is anyone seeing an increase in Aphids in their garden this year?

Most of our plants have them, we've just sprayed all of our plants with a mixture of water, vegetable oil & soap so hopefully that helps.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 689 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

Yes. One of our lupins was absolutely destroyed, it had stopped producing flowers. Tried the soap, tried spraying, tried removing them, no good. So I cut it right back, divided it and replanted in a few locations. Not only did they follow the newly divided plants, they then started finding my other lupin plants nearby. So I sprayed them with fly / wasp killer. Not ideal, but it was instantly successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

In the past I bought ladybirds from the Mr Middleton gardening website. They weren’t long mopping up the problem. I don’t know if they’re still available in the current lockdown.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I'm finding greenfly places there arent' even plants this year. 100% not impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Growing a patch of nettles somewhere can help prevent aphids destroying plants as they love nettles.
    I actually had aphids on my luttuce hydroponic setup in the house. Ive no idea how they got their.

One thing ive noticed i have loads of around this year is ants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭Treppen

iamtony wrote: »
    One thing ive noticed i have loads of around this year is ants.

Ants farm the aphids for milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Funny I did notice a good few a month or so back. But not recently. I have a new wildlife pond built this year and have noticed alot of hoverflys maybe they are sorting them out for me

Funny I did notice a good few a month or so back. But not recently. I have a new wildlife pond built this year and have noticed alot of hoverflys maybe they are sorting them out for me
    Yep. Lots of hover flys for me aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Naos wrote: »
    Is anyone seeing an increase in Aphids in their garden this year?

Most of our plants have them, we've just sprayed all of our plants with a mixture of water, vegetable oil & soap so hopefully that helps.

All over the rose bush and Lupins. Massive increase.
    Must be the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

In the past I bought ladybirds from the Mr Middleton gardening website. They weren’t long mopping up the problem. I don’t know if they’re still available in the current lockdown.

None this year. They import from France and the delays mean that they’d all be dead by the time they get here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement