Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby struggling to sleep with the heat

• 02-06-2020 2:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

My 9 month old has really struggled to sleep for the last 5 nights which I presume is due to the heat. She has gone down no problem at 7 as normal and slept for the first few hours but then she wakes up very regularly throughout the night (realistically more often than every hour). She also has started to wake up and struggle to go back asleep then (tonight this happened at 1 and has been awake the last hour and half) and last night this happened at 3. Prior to this she was almost sleeping through the night (one quick feed at around 5ish). My question really is what should I do when she wakes and won’t go back asleep at all?
    As I breastfeed she has always gone back asleep really quickly for me during the night since she has been a couple of weeks old if I fed her. This is really my first proper experience of her life along for long periods at night.

My husband brought her downstairs last night for an hour and then she came back up and slept for 3 more hours. I tried this tonight but I still can’t get her back asleep. Any tips would be appreciated?

Also, any tips on making her room cooler would be great? We have tried keeping the black out blind and curtain closed during the day to keep the sun out and she is currently sleeping in just a vest.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

With your blind and curtain closed during the day, is the window letting enough fresh air in? Our daughter is about a year older than yours but she only started sleeping through in March just gone (and still wakes up one night a week or so), she is in a vest and her grobag which I do think is too warm but she associates it with sleep so just sticking with it. We keep her up until 8/9pm depending on if she has had a nap or not during the day, so her bedroom is generally cool as we keep the window open until then.

It could be a coincidence that your little one is going through a sleep regression. I can't remember when they typically happen but we've had a few, where there are just a succession of nights where she wakes for a while and wont settle. Usually coincides with some big developmental changes. I never followed the Wonder Weeks app too closely but some people swear by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Our little boy was 5/6 months when we had that amazing summer 2 years ago. What worked best to keep the room cold was to open loads of windows on both sides of the house to get a cross breeze through.

There is also a big sleep regression at 8/9 months.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I suspect a sleep regression around 9/10 months also....i went back to work around then (ish) on all mine and at the same time their sleep went to pot.We didn't take them out of the beds.The heat won't be helping though, so definitely have the room as cool as you can.I find sometimes having the baby's door open, and maybe the bathroom window and another window encourages a bit of air flow through the top of the house and it can help.Light pjs too, either just a vest, or short sleeve and leg onesie or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Sarah1916

Thanks everyone for the replies. Possibly it is a coincidence and it is her 9 month sleep regression. It will be interesting to see how she reacts to the cooler weather expected later this week. For all of our sakes I hope she can sleep a bit better tonight :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Sarah1916 wrote:
    Thanks everyone for the replies. Possibly it is a coincidence and it is her 9 month sleep regression. It will be interesting to see how she reacts to the cooler weather expected later this week. For all of our sakes I hope she can sleep a bit better tonight

Sleep deprivation is cruel, but it will pass and even if tonight is tough, it'll make the next good night all the sweeter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement