Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sun rash/ insect bites

• 02-06-2020 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

My 2 year old has excema but it's pretty much under control at the moment. However her skin has been very bad over past few days with the sun. I changed her suncream on advice of pharmacist to a la Roche posey.

So. I don't know if it's heat rash / the cream itself or insect bites or what or maybe all three.
    Any advice on how to manage her skin in this weather and how to treat when flares up?

She's on the shade as much as possible but when kids out in garden wouldike her to tolerate the sun for some of the time. My son is 5 and has no issues.

If it's heat rash, what's good?
    If it's insect bites what can I use?
    Should I try a different cream?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

In my experience the pharmacies were quick to push La Roche for bloody well everything - I sent the OH for a specific nappy cream and he was persuaded to buy LRP by the pharmacist. It was fecking useless, and I think actually made the rash worse. The next time I went in looking for Bepanthen yer wan started the sales pitch for LRP again. They must be on commission or something :pac:.

I think with skin being so individual it's a matter of trial and error and unfortunately money spent in the process.

A natural way of soothing sore skin until you find the right cream is to put porridge oats in a popsock or leg of tights and put it into the bath. That was handy for nappy rash and chicken pox in our house, and soothed my nephews eczema too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭mojesius

My toddler is allergic to a lot of creams/soaps etc. extending to suncream. Broke out in red rash all over with puffy eyes a few times when she was a baby. Went for initial allergy testing to rule out any food groups, all came back clear so we assume it's some ingredient(s) in the creams. The La Roche Posse stuff didn't work for us either.

We switched to Aldi lacura kids factor 50 upon recommendation and she hasn't had a break out since. Think it's only 3-4 euro so worth trying if you haven't!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Jaysus i deleted a bit text, but in short id say tis heat rash OP. I suffer from it myself and I rem the first time i got it thinking this exactly that it was insect bites.. It gets very severe in some cases like the elephant man... I can imagine with an underlying skin condition it cannot be easy to manage..

I can say tried and tested results as an adult was when it got very very bad it was a cortazone cream, but in between putting ice on the area really cools it down. The rash is caused for blocked pores so I would nearly avoid putting more creams on it bar than what is needed..

Really an ice pack or ice works wonders... After that for sunscreens we just got the Moogoo one for the kids and while pricey and it is rather annoying to put on it seems to work wonders, no burns a little bit of heat rash but nothing mad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

[

A natural way of soothing sore skin until you find the right cream is to put porridge oats in a popsock or leg of tights and put it into the bath. That was handy for nappy rash and chicken pox in our house, and soothed my nephews eczema too.[/quote]

Sorry for silly question, but do you mean put it on her while in the bath?

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

If you submerge the sock in the bathwater the oats make the water 'milky' and if you help it by squeezing /kneading it you'll get more out of the oats. No bubble bath or anything like that.

I didn't use the sock the first time and just tipped a heap of oats into the water. That bath was a pain to clean afterwards, so lesson learned for the next time :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

We just put the oats straight in the water gives you loverly skin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

All calm again after I day out of the sun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭fits

Im surprised a lot of you dont get on with La Roche Posay. ITs the only stuff my skin tolerates a lot of the time. I was on roaccutane years ago and dermatologist recommended it. The skin is extremely sensitive with roaccutane. Also the LRP sunscreen doesnt stain clothes but the ALDI one is dreadful for staining I have found.

Advertisement