Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paint question

• 02-06-2020 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Looking to buy paint for the whole house. Should I be looking to get a matt finish or shine. Leaning towards the dualex colour range.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭ozbackineire

I don't think outdoor/masonary paint comes in different finishes (I could be wrong)

We have bought alot of paint in the last few weeks to do up our back garden and none of them have different finishes, it is just masonry paint.

• Moderators Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I don't think outdoor/masonary paint comes in different finishes (I could be wrong)

We have bought alot of paint in the last few weeks to do up our back garden and none of them have different finishes, it is just masonry paint.

I assume they mean the whole interior of the house.

All depends what finish you want OP. Matt will be the least shiny finish. Sheen will be a bit shiny, but is easier to wipe down. Bathrooms and kitchens are usually where you'd use a soft sheen paint, as moisture doesn't penetrate it as much as with matt paint. Places of high traffic can benefit from a sheen too, as they're more washable than matt... So hallways.

Are you planning on just buying 1 colour for the entire house, thus minimising the number of half empty paint buckets?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭iphone6

Yes it's the interior of the house.

We are looking to paint with 5 different colours all bedroom different colour we are setting aside 5ltr per room it's a standard house so should have enough..

I'll look at the sheen options so with the kids is there any drawback compared with the matt?.
    Thanks

• Moderators Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

iphone6 wrote: »
    Yes it's the interior of the house.

We are looking to paint with 5 different colours all bedroom different colour we are setting aside 5ltr per room it's a standard house so should have enough..

I'll look at the sheen options so with the kids is there any drawback compared with the matt?.
    Thanks

They shine a bit more, so there's a different look. As far is I know thats about it.

In terms of paint quality, Ive heard Colour trend is best (but obviously most expensive). Dulux Moda is a good attempt at colourtrend quality, but not as good, and it's better than regular dulux. Then there's dulux.

I've rarely if ever heard praise for fleetwood/johnsons etc. Think farrow and ball is supposed to be good too, but again its pricey. Cheap paint is ****e, and will cost you hours of time.

Thanks blacknight, great information����

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

If you have kids, get Colourtrend Ceramic Matt ( scrubbable) or Crown Trade Clean Extreme Matt ( also scrubbable but not as expensive). The days of satin or silk finishes being easier to clean are long gone

dok_golf wrote: »
    If you have kids, get Colourtrend Ceramic Matt ( scrubbable) or Crown Trade Clean Extreme Matt ( also scrubbable but not as expensive). The days of satin or silk finishes being easier to clean are long gone

Cheers there is a local crown shop I'll pop up and see if they have same colours.

Would you recommend matt over satin/shine finish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

I would but thats down to personal taste.

Advertisement