Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get Galway back on track?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

anna wrote:
    The mentality of Galway citizens is different from that in the Netherlands, for example, where cycling is culturally, an integral part of life.
    In Galway the ego factor drives the behaviour of many citizens who falsely believe that driving an expensive car and emitting toxic gases into the environment is a sign of status and affluence.
    The problems in Galway are partly due, therefore, to the misconceptions held by people with wealth- the Noveau Riche.
    Educated people with humility and substance understand the importance of the environment and they lack the need to display their wealth or achievements. They live a life in harmony with other people and the environment in an unassuming way. Galway does not need more greed and money, it needs a change in mindset of it´s citizens in order to be great again

Did you register (re-register?) just to post that?
    What total and utter horse****e.
    We're no different from any citizens in any other county in the country. We are no more prone to exhibitions of wealth or status than those in Mayo, Cavan, Cork or Waterford.
    Have a look at how many 5,6,7 year+ cars are on the road here.
    And I wish to God people would stop comparing us to European cities. We're a small regional centre in the west of Ireland with different culture, traditions, history, geography and climate.
    The solutions we find must come from us, to work for ALL of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Galway used to be a beautiful place to visit.
    Now people sit in their large automobiles for an hour trying to bring their children to school and under pressure to get to work on time.
    It is an old city with a great history.
    I do not accept that even a change in infrastructure or the introduction of cycling paths would solve the problem. I wish that were so.
    The mentality of Galway citizens is different from that in the Netherlands, for example, where cycling is culturally, an integral part of life.
    In Galway the ego factor drives the behaviour of many citizens who falsely believe that driving an expensive car and emitting toxic gases into the environment is a sign of status and affluence.
    The problems in Galway are partly due, therefore, to the misconceptions held by people with wealth- the Noveau Riche.
    Educated people with humility and substance understand the importance of the environment and they lack the need to display their wealth or achievements. They live a life in harmony with other people and the environment in an unassuming way. Galway does not need more greed and money, it needs a change in mindset of it´s citizens in order to be great again

Sorry but this is total and utter nonsense. Are you telling me that Galway, above all other places in Ireland and Europe is greedy and materialistic and self serving? Compared to say Dublin or London, really?! I’m intrigued to know what part of the country you live in because it couldn’t possibly be Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

flazio wrote: »
    Car ownership gives us greater control in all aspects of our lives. Working hours, best value homes to live in, social pursuits. We want to do something there and then we can do it without having to worry if I'm living close enough to it or what time the last piece of public transport closes.
    It's a very hard habit to shake off.

I found it very easy to shake off: living without a car is far less stressful, and a LOT cheaper.

But as you say, it leads to many, many compromises in living location, job choice, working hours, leisure choices, etc.

And having a car - the right sort of car - is very much a status symbol in Irish society. I've lost count of the number of people who've dissed me when they find out I travel mainly by public transport. Someone who cared what people thought of them would find it an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Middle-aged middle-class men maybe, but most people I know couldn't give a hoot what car a person drives. I didn't have my first car till I was near 30 and nobody passed a bit of notice.

Advertisement