Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Media Activism

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

mariaalice wrote: »
    Its because most people want to live in a decent society.

The ones who complain about social media activism are always the ones who can't get there heads around why anyone would care about something that does not affect themselves.

That’s not what’s happening though. They are taking the reality of American police brutality and placing it, like a sheet of acetate, over Irish society. Which is patently ridiculous. For likes and shares.

There is certainly a problem with racism, but more one that is preventing people from reaching their potential and not one that is preventing them from reaching old age. Which could also be attributed to ses, frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

CageWager wrote: »
    99.9% of people on social media are full of shít.

They were banging on about the crisis in Sudan for a week or two while it was trendy, then the next thing you know its “save the Amazon” while that was in fashion for a couple of weeks. Now its black live matter while thats trendy. They’ll post black out pictures today and they’ll be shifting fake airpods or waist trainers tomorrow (ironically, those items are all produced using borderline slave labour).

So I say it again, people are almost entirely full of shít, they have no follow through, they don’t actually care about any of these causes, they just blow with the wind, follow the crowd, and try desperately to maintain some level of acceptance and popularity. Pathetic.

This!!!

"#Blacklivesmatter" - yeah try putting a direct provision centre on their street, see how much they matter
    "#ClimateProtest" - yeah tell them their are holidaying on the Costa Del Tramore rather than Costa Del Sol to help save the planet, or the school ski trip isn't going ahead.
    etc, etc.

Its why this is as close as I come to social media, I can take it or leave it after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

It's an echo chamber, social media activism. It's about personal branding rather than making a difference. Why? Because those that post about their cause of the week are only speaking to an audience that already agrees with them. They aren't actually making a difference.

Changing a profile picture to that Alfie kid or a black fist are the equivalent of preaching to your own reflection in the bathroom mirror for all the difference it makes to other people.

What I hate is when mainstream media journalists addicted to twitter, live in these online twitter echo chambers then write a very one sided article and/or about an issue most people don't actually care that much about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

This seems to be serious but also comes across as sarcastic. Twitter also people like this think they matter

https://twitter.com/Fiona_Onasanya/status/1272557664921440259

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

^^^

I burst out laughing at that. Reminded me of this. These people must have little to worry about in life.

vteQQvQoyyf1_t4eC3MUhGIW_SMxpImK0omJED2fcH89eoI7icUP2kETPcggzaD0bT4AoHgW0sBTgFaek89M3_esFnlg4m5uKIKPgwXLPdahfx7vtZUxsVbQXMxfTksigBTKlF-swJTmOMDl2g

• Advertisement
Advertisement