Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paint roller and poles - and painting behind a radiator

• 02-06-2020 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Because of work etc, I have to do this shopping online.

I need to a paint roller extension pole and rollers.

The only pole I can find online in Ireland is a Draper. Other websites have much better deals on the rollers (tray, extra rolls, brushes, etc) but are all different brands or unnamed.

Are all rollers and poles the same? The Draper has a screw top.

I do not know of any house where the owner or the painter they hired has painted behind the radiators. Is it something people don't bother with?

I'd like to do though. And without moving the radiators.

I was just going to get a small roller but does anyone have a better idea?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭db

Get a proper 12" roller frame, bucket and decent pole and they will last you years. With the 9" frames the sleeve slides off and you have to keep pushing it back on. The lighter poles bend and fall apart too easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭WastedYouth

db wrote: »
    Get a proper 12" roller frame, bucket and decent pole and they will last you years. With the 9" frames the sleeve slides off and you have to keep pushing it back on. The lighter poles bend and fall apart too easily.

I didn't know there was 12 inch rollers as I've only seen 9 and 4 inch in my browsing.

This is my first painting that isn't just the mother putting the stuff in front of me and saying "go". :P

db wrote: »

The pole is a Draper so I assume it is sturdy.

The only 12 inch frame I can find online is Hardware Ireland and they have a minimum of ten day for delivery.

I've been putting this job off for too long already and really need to get as much done as I can whenever I'm in the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭hesker

For behind radiators you can get rollers with a long handle that take a mini roller. Most DIY stores should have them. Google “radiator roller”.

What I do is wrap a couple of sheets of newspaper tightly around the radiator and tape the ends together with a bit of masking tape. This prevents getting paint onto the radiator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'm by no means a painter but on the jobs I have done I find the mini roller much easier to use in terms of speed and overspray than full 12/9 inch. Perhaps on heavily pebble dashed walls the larger roller is better.

• Advertisement

hesker wrote: »
    For behind radiators you can get rollers with a long handle that take a mini roller. Most DIY stores should have them. Google “radiator roller”.

What I do is wrap a couple of sheets of newspaper tightly around the radiator and tape the ends together with a bit of masking tape. This prevents getting paint onto the radiator.

I have a mini roller ordered but was just wondering if there is better method.

I will painting the radiators anyway and honestly hadn't given any thought to the fact the could get splashed with different colour paint. So thank you for waking me to that. ;)

I'm by no means a painter but on the jobs I have done I find the mini roller much easier to use in terms of speed and overspray than full 12/9 inch. Perhaps on heavily pebble dashed walls the larger roller is better.

How is it better for speed? I would thought the larger the roller or brush the faster the job gets done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

How is it better for speed? I would thought the larger the roller or brush the faster the job gets done.

I thought that would be the case too but no the smaller is faster on smooth surfaces and gives a better spread of paint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I didn't know there was 12 inch rollers as I've only seen 9 and 4 inch in my browsing.

This is my first painting that isn't just the mother putting the stuff in front of me and saying "go". :P

For Rads:
    https://www.screwfix.ie/p/no-nonsense-long-handled-mini-roller-set-3-piece-set/9863v

Lidl normally do them in a 3 piece set as well

+
    Most places should have 12" rollers.
    https://www.screwfix.ie/p/no-nonsense-12-roller-tray-set-4-pieces/8039v

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/harris-trade-micropoly-roller-sleeve-emulsion-12-x-1-75/2870x

https://www.woodies.ie/stanley-polyester-12-medium-pile-roller-1126259

The only pole I can find online in Ireland is a Draper. Other websites have much better deals on the rollers (tray, extra rolls, brushes, etc) but are all different brands or unnamed.

Are all rollers and poles the same? The Draper has a screw top.

Screw tops to increase size, nothing really special about a pole extension tbh.
    https://www.screwfix.ie/c/decorating/extension-poles/cat850158?cm_sp=managedredirect-_-decorating-_-rollerpole

https://www.woodies.ie/mark-2-metre-extension-pole-663052

https://www.homebase.co.uk/search/products?q=extension%20poles&redirectFrom=Any

Homebase prices in Sterling as they don't seem to have bothered doing a proper Irish site for some reason.

• Advertisement

Might be some use if ordering loads, B&Q you'll get 10% off by signing up to their customer card at the front desk as you walk in, Woodies 10% off online sign up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭hesker

I have a mini roller ordered but was just wondering if there is better method.

I will painting the radiators anyway and honestly hadn't given any thought to the fact the could get splashed with different colour paint. So thank you for waking me to that. ;)

My point was about protecting the back of the radiator more than anything but works for the whole surface too. It also stops you dragging dust off the back of the radiator with the roller.

In Lidl near Marley park today, they had a 10 piece painting set including a telescopic pole (up to 2m) with 4 mini rollers, mini roller frame, metal paint grid, roller frame and a couple of paint rollers all for €10!

hesker wrote: »
    My point was about protecting the back of the radiator more than anything but works for the whole surface too. It also stops you dragging dust off the back of the radiator with the roller.

House recently had a clean and I was quite violent in scrubbing the backs of the radiators.;)

okidoki987 wrote: »
    In Lidl near Marley park today, they had a 10 piece painting set including a telescopic pole (up to 2m) with 4 mini rollers, mini roller frame, metal paint grid, roller frame and a couple of paint rollers all for €10!

Did you see that before or after our chat?

You could have bought them for me. :P

After or I would have. ;)

Not sure if they are in other Lidl stores as Marley gets a lot of stuff that's unsold elsewhere so they may be on their own with some of the stock.
    The extension pole on it's own elsewhere is dearer than all that combined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you have strong wrists the 12" is probably useful, but I find them unwieldy and awkward, I prefer to use a 9 inch for most of the walls, a 4 inch mini to go as near the ceiling as possible and a brush to just finish it off. I wrap the rollers in cling film between uses (next day) then dump them rather than using gallons of water unsuccessfully 'cleaning' them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Get your self a 12" roller. The advantages are twofold. One, you will get the job done faster and better ( despite the advice above) and 2, the roller cage holds the roller sleeve at both ends, giving you far more control and a far better chance of applying pressure evenly. Purdy do an expandable 12" to !8" roller cage. Look after it and it will last you years. Crown shops do an excellent medium pile roller sleeve called Hamilton Perfection

looksee wrote: »
    If you have strong wrists the 12" is probably useful, but I find them unwieldy and awkward, I prefer to use a 9 inch for most of the walls, a 4 inch mini to go as near the ceiling as possible and a brush to just finish it off. I wrap the rollers in cling film between uses (next day) then dump them rather than using gallons of water unsuccessfully 'cleaning' them.

Stick the used roller in your washing machine with towels or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Buy Two Fussy Blokes or Purdy rollers, clean them and they will do you for many jobs. 9" rollers shouldn't fall off during use, sounds like cheap equipment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I've never used anything other 9" rollers myself although I often see professional painters using them for sure. I too rinse out most of the paint after use in a bucket of water and finish off the cleaning by throwing them into the washing machine with some old towels, maybe with an extra rinse cycle to start the cleaning. I'd find it very wasteful to be throwing out sleeves or brushes after a painting job

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If this is a one off job then life is too short to be cleaning your used roller IMO.

awec wrote: »
    If this is a one off job then life is too short to be cleaning your used roller IMO.

I do appreciate the advice on the cleaning the sleeves but life is indeed too short for hat :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

dok_golf wrote: »
    Stick the used roller in your washing machine with towels or something

Was thinking of getting rid of those blue towels lately. Magnolia towels should go nicely with new decor in the bathroom :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Buy cheap buy twice.

A mate of mine is a painter and when I was painting our new build he said to go get some quality painting gear, including a 12” roller as it would make the job easier. He was right.

Avoid those cheap kits as the rollers will break your heart and tend to break or will keep falling off.

I still have the kit (12” roller) and it’s still going nearly 15 years later. It regularly gets used for painting jobs around the house and will easily last another 10 years or more.

Just my 2cents.

wonski wrote: »
    Was thinking of getting rid of those blue towels lately. Magnolia towels should go nicely with new decor in the bathroom :)

Don't knock it until you try it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Payton

I have to say the normal rollers and trays would be from Woodies or B+Q and they are ok, not great.
    So maybe its time to invest in some quality gear. What brand should i be looking for, for rollers..brushes etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

dok_golf wrote: »
    Don't knock it until you try it.

Showing my age now, but growing up in the 80s I knew the value of a pound so I'd never throw out a roller sleeve because I couldn't spare the time or energy to clean it!

Advertisement