Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension Lead

Options
  • 02-06-2020 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

I have (had) a 50M extension lead. The lads fitting our gate used it (fully extended) to try & run their welder and it tripped. I have checked it out and the fuse in the plug is fine and I can measure 220V at that end but when I open up the sockets the voltage is only about 48V (I checked both sides of the thermal trip)

So now I am at a loss - I assume this must mean damage to the wires somewhere along the cable, is that right? To my simple mind it should read either 220V or 0V, not something between.

Any ideas on how/if I can fix this, or do I just have to splash out on a new one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

What's the (amps) rating on the extension lead and what fuse is in the plug? Did you ask the lad with the welder what current he was going to draw before you loaned him your extension lead?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tombrown

Extension lead rated for 3000W, 230V (so 13amp) when fully extended. It has a 13A fuse. It was fully extended when it tripped

No I didn't ask him what current the welder would use, though if it was trying to pull more than 13A I would expect that the fuse would have blown first. Any way, rightly or wrongly, that ship has sailed

So whats the prognosis?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Most likely a broken connection somewhere. check the continuity of each core.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

Perhaps the voltage you are measuring an induced voltage?

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Extension lead probably got caught in the door at some stage, gust of wind and a nice sharp door edge look for kink and nick in the cable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

tombrown wrote: »
    I have (had) a 50M extension lead. The lads fitting our gate used it (fully extended) to try & run their welder and it tripped. I have checked it out and the fuse in the plug is fine and I can measure 220V at that end but when I open up the sockets the voltage is only about 48V (I checked both sides of the thermal trip)

So now I am at a loss - I assume this must mean damage to the wires somewhere along the cable, is that right? To my simple mind it should read either 220V or 0V, not something between.

Any ideas on how/if I can fix this, or do I just have to splash out on a new one?

Looks like a btoken neutral ( the 48 volts was probably induced) Not real. Others better than I could help. Moderator always good.
    A broken neutral

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tombrown

Thansk for all the suggestions - I'll check it out with a m/meter tonight

Advertisement